Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: games you really want to like, but just don't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: games you really want to like, but just don't

Yeah, I do regret that some games just aren't as good as they should have been. From my recent postings, you'd notice that Operation Logic Bomb falls into this category. Others as well.

Can't really get into some of Nintendo's early NES games - Zelda to a degree, but certainly the original Metroid. Still great, groundbreaking games, but I'm kinda "eh" about the whole affair. They get love because of how early and inventive they were, but the actual execution isn't quite up to the standards of later games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kingdom Hearts!

Seems like it's got a real cool story and all, but the gameplay is terrible! Horrible camera, atrocious button-mashing combat system, terrible lock-on, just bad controls overall.

I really want to like this game, but it's just no fun to play!
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    legend of zelda - man I have forced my self to get half way through this game ...
    Good luck when you get to Zelda 2. Now THAT is a horrible game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow some of my favorite games have been listed.

While I never have played Kingdom Hearts, I watched my roomates play it a bit, and there were things in there that made me decide right away that the game wasn't for me. Like having to watch cutscenes over again unable to skip them when continuing, and the camera angles. And the main character.

Really, I'm just done with RPGs (excluding SRPGs). I don't have the patience for them anymore, and in retrospect I always gave the plot/storyline much more credit than they ever deserved.

I really tried to get into Castlevania Circle of the Moon a few times, but I think I played SOTN too many damn times to play a such a similar game again. I've yet to try the other GBA Castlevania because of this.

Resident Evil series. Excluding RE4, which I just finished, I have tried to get into this series (at least 3 different times) and just can't. I'm going for the fourth try here soon, I think I'm gonna play the first one re-make for GC. I just liked RE4 so much, the first one just HAS to be worth playing...right?

Bonk's Adventure. Can't say anything I dislike about this game, it just didn't grab me.

R-Type series. (Well, the two SNES titles at least)

Can we list games we've beaten?

ICO, I felt really meh about it. Pretty game, easy ass puzzles (which defeats the purpose of the game) and the "fights" consist of the most uninspired, repetitive, and bland action sequences ever to grace a game console (IMO). The pacing is really bad also.

Metroid Prime. I thought the transition to 3D was done very well. The presentation was there, and the game had enough innovation to keep me occupied for a whole 1 and 3/4 playthroughs. That said, I just don't find this game any fun. (I had such high hopes for it that I tried to play it again). And if you think I'm jaded from my SOTN comment earlier, I loved Metriod Zero, and I played that after Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    legend of zelda - man I have forced my self to get half way through this game ...
    Good luck when you get to Zelda 2. Now THAT is a horrible game
    Bite your tongue! Zelda 2 is an awesome game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) soundwave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-SAMMY
    Zelda Wind Waker. I love the graphics but I just can't motivate myself to play through it. I was like this with Majoras Mask as well. Too bad because I really liked Ocarina of time and Link to the Past.
    I too loved Ocarina and Link to the Past, but Windwaker was fun for maybe the first two islands and then I got bored of it. I tried really hard to give it a fair shot, but it just didn't suck me in like some other games did.

Metroid as a series is pretty much the same story. Maybe I'm just bitter because I never beat the original as a kid. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Silent Hill games apply here for me. I really love the music and atmosphere, and the storylines are wonderfully creepy, but the puzzles just don't work with me, and the gameplay tends to drag. I'm loking forward to the movie, because if it's done well, I'll actually get to see then ending of a Silent Hill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    Metroid as a series is pretty much the same story. Maybe I'm just bitter because I never beat the original as a kid. :P
    I'm stuck halfway through metroid prime myself

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Metroid game, I understand how great these games are, but whenever I play them I just don't get it. World of Warcraft, FF online..ect. I never understood why Counter-Strike got so big, too me its just an average FPS.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GTA: SA the storyline just wasnt for me among other things ; eating, GF/stud/pimpdaddy bullshit naa I can do without all that in a videogame

the Halo series yea there OK but I just dont like FPS much except the classics like Doom on PC

any snowboarding games I can do without although they can be fun for a few minutes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    Kingdom Hearts!

Seems like it's got a real cool story and all, but the gameplay is terrible! Horrible camera, atrocious button-mashing combat system, terrible lock-on, just bad controls overall.

I really want to like this game, but it's just no fun to play!
    I agree 100%. The gameplay and camera suck.

Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox is another highly touted game that just was unbelievably awful. I love RPG's, I love Star Wars, but this combination was as boring as a game can get. Terrible.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)