Thread: Metal tabs near contacts on SNES games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal tabs near contacts on SNES games...

While checking out my new Starfox Weekend find, I noticed there are these metal tabs on the underside of the cart, on either side of the contacts. What are these for? Do any other games have these? Maybe only FX games? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not really sure. It sounds familiar - is it on any other Super FX games?

If so, I'd assume it was to provide power to the super fx chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All the "extra powered" games have that metallic looking little fella. From Dirt Trax FX to Kirby Superstar and Megaman X2/3.

Nothing to fret over or anything, it's all good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was it actually to give extra power? I don't see how it works that way.

I have Megaman X2 and X3, and while it does have the slots for those metal things, both carts do not have them. The Starfox Weekend cart has only one. All carts function perfectly however.

I am assuming they fall out over time and this is why they are not present, but I would definitely like to get a confirmation as to if it is somehow required by the cart. If so, I'll replace the one missing metal tab on Starfox.

I am starting to think however that these are nothing more than a design to help hold the cartridge more snugly when inserted. I could be wrong tho...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    I am starting to think however that these are nothing more than a design to help hold the cartridge more snugly when inserted. I could be wrong tho...
    I thought it had something to do with that or for additional grounding myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I was also thinking about that. Oh well, I'll leave it as it is. Just wondering tho if somebody with a Starfox (or Starfox Super Weekend preferrably) cart can do a quick check to see if you have one or both metal tabs intact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FTR my X2/X3 copies still have their 1 tabs in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I was also thinking about that. Oh well, I'll leave it as it is. Just wondering tho if somebody with a Starfox (or Starfox Super Weekend preferrably) cart can do a quick check to see if you have one or both metal tabs intact.
    My production StarFox only has one on the right side (looking at the label) and on the left there doesn't appear to have ever been one, I don't see where it would interface with the board. Same with Super Mario RPG. I still think it was a grounding / shielding issue that caused them to be put into some carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My production StarFox only has one on the right side (looking at the label) and on the left there doesn't appear to have ever been one, I don't see where it would interface with the board. Same with Super Mario RPG. I still think it was a grounding / shielding issue that caused them to be put into some carts.
    Thanks very much for the confirmation. This is exactly where my Starfox SW cart is. One on the right (looking at the label) and none on the left. Dunno if that is documented anywhere, but it is confirmed now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the right for retail Star Fox here as well.

I took the game apart to check it out, and it contacts with a little copper square on the board. There is no copper square on the left. Looks like a grounding issue on my end as well, though I don't know enough as to why. The metal tab looks like it would contact with the outside of the slot in the SNES.

Now you got me all curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I don't think there was a tab on the left side, as my copy of StarFox has it on the right side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alot of the later snes titles had these metal tabs, street fighter 2 alpha springs to mind, i think yoshi island has them too, as well the Megaman X2 and X3, i too also think it has somthing to do with grounding of the cart.

Maybe the last few snes games that used some of the fx and fx2 chips, need a better ground connection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorxs
    Alot of the later snes titles had these metal tabs, street fighter 2 alpha springs to mind, i think yoshi island has them too, as well the Megaman X2 and X3, i too also think it has somthing to do with grounding of the cart.

Maybe the last few snes games that used some of the fx and fx2 chips, need a better ground connection?
    If I'm correct, I believe ALL snes games which came with the extra "two sided contacts" -- they all have the metal tabs (or at least all originally came packaged with it, until somehow it fell off on some copies)