Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Segacom born, plans to ship new console by 2008

Source

Segacom born, plans to ship new console by 2008

Tokyo, March 27th 2006 in a surprise move Sammy Holdings (news|quote|link)has announced that it has acquired floundering dame publisher and developer Capcom, Inc. (news|quote|link). Combined with the company’s 2004 acquisition of SEGA Enterprises (news|quote|link), a new came company has been formed: Segacom.

Sammy (news|quote|link) CEO Hajime Satomi will be taking the reigns of the new company. “With amazing Sammy properties such as Guilty Gear and established Sega (news|quote|link)brands in the names of Naka-san’s Sonic the Hedgehog, Suzuki-san’s Virtua Fighter combined with the famous brands of Capcom (news|quote|link) like Megaman and Resident Evil, Segacom will be an international dominating force,” said new Segacom CEO Satomi in a press release.

Former Capcom (news|quote|link) CEO, Kenzo Tsujimoto, resigned in protest of the merger. Tsujimoto declined to comment on the merger. Sammy (news|quote|link) scheduled a Friday press conference to reveal addition details about the new company. Tsujimoto is on that roster.

In a separate Sammy press release following the announcement, the company revealed plans to market a new game console by 2008. “With exclusive brands and franchises that only Segacom can provide and offer, fans will purchase our console before a Sony one.”

Following the Sammy announcement Nintendo Co. (news|quote|link) have scheduled a Wednesday press conference. Sony (news|quote|link) and competitor Microsoft (news|quote|link) have yet to react to the news.

About Sammy Studios, Inc.
    Sammy Studios was founded in 2002 as the global videogame development and publishing subsidiary of Sammy Corporation. Sammy Studios is responsible for internal and external videogame development and publishing business in North America and Europe. The company’s headquarters is a state-of-the-art development complex in Carlsbad, California, with an office in Los Angeles handling licensing and business development. Later this year Sammy Studios will release its first internally developed videogame, along with the biggest portfolio of externally developed games ever to be published under its brand. The company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sammy Corporation of Tokyo, Japan, an entertainment and amusement conglomerate that is one of the top-rated companies traded on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. For more information, please visit www.sammystudios.com.
    MEDIA CONTACTS:
    Meelad Sadat
    Sammy Studios, Inc.
    (760) 448-3061
    meelad@sammystudios.com
    Rannie Yoo
    Kohnke Communications
    (415) 777-4000
    rannie@kohnkecomm.com

About Sega Corporation
    Tokyo, Japan-based Sega Corporation is a nearly $2.5 billion company, responsible for the development, marketing and distribution of Sega video game systems and video games in the global market. The company is recognized as the industry leader in interactive digital entertainment media, offering interactive entertainment experiences both inside and outside the home. Sega Corporation’s official web site is located at http://sega.jp.

About Capcom

As a worldwide leader in the gaming industry, Capcom is on the forefront of this new cutting-edge technology, and is proud to have produced a number of hit products such as Mega Man, Street Fighter, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil. Capcom will continue to provide customers with the best possible forms of innovative entertainment in this new and exciting media.

For additional information about the product, please contact Capcom's support center at (+81-6-6946-3099) or visit www.capcom.co.jp.

Press inquiries may be directed to:

Capcom Co., Ltd.
    Public Relations Office (Tanaka or Tamoto)
    (Email) ir@capcom.co.jp
    (Address) 3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 540-0037, Japan
    (Tel)+81-6-6920-6923 (Fax) +81-6-6920-5108

Translation provided by Tetsuo Yu
    [/url]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not April Fools' Day just yet.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    It's not April Fools' Day just yet.
    No but it's here in spirit. Just look at those amazing spelling errors. Dame Company, ha.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is fucking ridiculous. That's all I have to say on the matter.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Edit: I should have paid attention to the source!

Hmm, now I see that Konami was considering the possibility of buying Capcom back in the last quarter of '05.

"Segacom" didn't bring up any relevant hits for me (at least not on the first page), but we might see the term soon...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

is there a source without signup? Otherwise this does look like an early prank.

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sammy just invested in the atomiswave, they wouldnt do this so soon.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the WSJ really is something that pulls April Fools jokes.

The reason there are spelling mistakes/grammatical errors is due to it being translated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't toy with my feelings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Sammy just invested in the atomiswave, they wouldnt do this so soon.
    I don't believe the Atomiswave is terribly relevant outside of arcades, and even so a decent hardware platform won't go very far if you don't have development on it. There's maybe two dozen games on it (a few of those planned) since 2003. One of those, cancelled, was Sammy vs. Capcom...

As for whether this would benefit Capcom, I think that the consolidation could make things simpler for them. For being a company that's far smaller than Konami, Capcom has put out an impressive number of A-rank titles, and many of their games I've liked better than their Konami counterparts.

With Sammy, I think it's a simple desire to survive in a world without arcades. They haven't had much at all to release on consoles, but that's where the money is headed so they need to have a showing.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im gonna go crawl into a sock drawer and sleep for days..I'm depressed already Shame on teasin' Sega like that...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Sammy is going to be dropping the AW soon. In the arcades it is not doing all that well. I heard that Sammy was shooting for nearly 100 games by this point and all I have seen are a mere 21.

SNKFan75

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll believe it when i see it.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this does end up true, it would be a hard console to pass up. I mean, all the Capcom/Sega games exclusive to one system could certainly shake things up a bit.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

not sure if this is true or not, im always up for any new competition or anything exciting happening in general.

that being said, ive been contemplating a similar scenario for quite some time (and why it hasnt occured yet). ive been thinking why wouldve a large software publishing company, merges with a couple others, and makes their own console.

i think an EA/Ubisoft merger with a new console for them will be a very interesting developemnt. although im positive all the big boys have thought about all of this already, and the reason we're not seeing anything happen is because they dont consider it viable, although with this new news, heres to hoping.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't be true, because why I didn't herd of the Capcom take over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNKFan75
    I think Sammy is going to be dropping the AW soon. In the arcades it is not doing all that well. I heard that Sammy was shooting for nearly 100 games by this point and all I have seen are a mere 21.

SNKFan75
    Doubt it, they do very well over in japan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Hm, weather this is true or false, its got me thinking...

In this current generation companies are trying their best to make sure third parties only produce games for their system, or at least make certain games totally exclusive. Weve also seen the rise of very powerful third parties, namely EA.

Makes me wonder if sometime in the future, there will be so many buyouts and mergers that consoles will be incredibly specialized, by genre.

EA could very well make a console with nothing but their own games and be successful because theyve bought the rights to every national sports league.

Oh and if sega in fact makes a new console who knows what will happen, flames from the sky, dogs and cats getting along, pure madness.

In all seriousness it seems more power is in the hands of third parties than console makers themselves. Who knows.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good point Mr.Roboto19XX. I have high hopes that SEGA does make a console comeback. I would hope they use the lindburgh hardware though this time.

SNKFan75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    The reason there are spelling mistakes/grammatical errors is due to it being translated.
    Translators know how to spell... even more so if they work for the Wall Street Journal.

Anyone else not remember that mergers don't happen overnight? What's the last big merger nobody knew about until after it was done?

Doubt it, they do very well over in japan...
    Not really. Sega's hardware crushes everything, including AW. I think they've found if they don't put a trademark title on it, it's not going to do well.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list