Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2006 DP MAME League Discussion Thread! It's ON!!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by dcescott
    Why so late on the rom?
    Because I have a job. And although it's easy to pop on DP and post every now and then, it's kinda hard to edit the league web page from here.

Patience, padawan.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woo hoo. I was kind of worried that my score wasn't that great, but like somebody said, 6 (me) through 16 were all pretty bunched together. My second highest game was only about 117K, but then again, I quit after the 156.

I'm a little discouraged by the discrepancy between 5 and 6, but I still think I was hitting my stride when I ran into far more important life matters... more important than MAME? I know, I know...

Still, best of luck to everybody who moved on, it appears most of us will need it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, if anyone wants my .inp file it's here:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/userid947/timeplt_NE1.zip

And here's the version of Mame32 I used (self extracting .exe)
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/userid947/mame.rar

I know it's not mandatory.. but if it aint a hassle for some of you, I'd like to encourage you guys to record input files. There are some of us who do enjoy watching other peoples games. I'd have loved to seen Ze_ro's game for example.

Anyway, it's just something fun. Nothing big.. just a nice little extra if you guys want to do it. If not, or you just can't (I know ze_ro won't because he likes to play games quickly in succession) no biggie! Like I said, it's just extra. I personally will always do it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A job?
    Oh yeah, job...
    I thought you guys just sat around and yapped on here all day. Thats what it seems like.
    I work as a graphic designer, I have dead moments throughout the day, sometimes it's crunchtime, other times I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for customers to make up their minds.
    While I sit in my dungeon I check my ebay crap, DP threads and neo geo stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Quote Originally Posted by ahamilton0953
    still didn't get it working. might look for another emu for it. for some reason its just not working. i did try the audit thing and it wont recognize my game ( i used your links specifically for downloading j. so i don't know whats up). so I'm already behind since I couldn't submit a score..... its a conspiracy! I know it is! hehe.
    I wish you had been more vocal about your troubles instead of just not submitting a score.

You Unzipped MAME right? Then you put the ROM into the /MAME32/ROMs folder without unzipping it? If you did that then I don't see what the problem could be.

Chris
    well, i originally planned to spend some time yesterday afternoon when I was home working on the game, ( had off from the day job ) and then I had problems. I had to work my part time job last night , and I was so dog tired, I didn't try to get something going b4 I went to bed. but, such is life!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

still didn't get it working. might look for another emu for it. for some reason its just not working. i did try the audit thing and it wont recognize my game ( i used your links specifically for downloading j. so i don't know whats up). so I'm already behind since I couldn't submit a score..... its a conspiracy! I know it is! hehe.
    I wish you had been more vocal about your troubles instead of just not submitting a score.

You Unzipped MAME right? Then you put the ROM into the /MAME32/ROMs folder without unzipping it? If you did that then I don't see what the problem could be.

Chris
    well, i originally planned to spend some time yesterday afternoon when I was home working on the game, ( had off from the day job ) and then I had problems. I had to work my part time job last night , and I was so dog tired, I didn't try to get something going b4 I went to bed. but, such is life!
    In the future, if something like this happens, you can AIM me, or you can just wander into #vbender on efnet. they/we would be able to help you.

Also, INP files. An INP file is like a movie of your game that MAME can record for you. They can get pretty big but compress down really, REALLY small. Like NE146 says, they are not mandatory, but they are a lot of fun, and if you record one and submit it, I'll post it on the League web site. If you did well, then people will want to see. If you did crappy, people can watch it and give you some gameplay pointers. Think of it as a way to improve your game.

So NE, I'll d/l yours later and post it up.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by dcescott
    The point system is great. It's not a curve but a % from the top score down. Since there is 16 players left and 8 advance, the numbers will increase you rank if you make it to the next round. Good thing it's not the BCS rating system!
    As far as the top 3 player, good gravy, I will play my best and hope for a game I rock on.
    Not to sound stupid, but does that mean that I'm out then?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah yer #20 out of 32, you are out.
    I didn't know about the single elimination, or maybe that's I didn't read everything like I promised jibba. I thought everyone was in for the whole thing.

Kinda like sports when you get to play the spoiler and screw a top seed out of contention.
    Baseball playoffs before the wild card series was like that. The Dodgers one year got knocked out by the Giants who were nowhere near in contention. That's just an example.
    Someone could take out insane David one game that score lower previously for anouther example. Not that I'm saying that will take place (highly doubt it)

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I tried my best, but didn't make it. 19th place, which is sorta better than I thought. I'll be waiting for the next tournament..

By the way Jibba, can the people eliminated from this tourney go ahead and download the games just for the hell of it to see what they're like?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Yes, the tourney is single elimination. If someone can explain to me how to make it not be single elimination and still be short (like a few weeks) then I am all ears. We can try different formats for different tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster Sam
    By the way Jibba, can the people eliminated from this tourney go ahead and download the games just for the hell of it to see what they're like?
    Yes of course. I would encourage you guys to keep playing along even if you are out of it. It will be more practice for the next tournament.

I will even still post your INP files if you get a really good score. I want to do whatever I can to keep it interesting for the players who have to sit out for a few weeks. I was even thinking that if you guys want to keep playing the games even though you are out of the tournament, I will add the scores to your cummulative total so that you can still play the spoiler on the rankings sheet. And the rankings ARE siginificant because it will determine who is eligible for invitational tournaments.

What do you guys think about that? Anyone would be able to do this though, not just those of you who who are playing in this tournament. So people who didn't make it for the sign-ups would be able to start playing along. I'd like to hear some opinions on this before I go ahead and make it the Word though.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say sure! It's all about playing some games and having some friendly competition. I say if people want to play.. then let them play and post their scores. They just won't be in the running for the meseta if anything (not like that's all that big a deal anyway :P)

(and by the way.. as I said, I will most likely drop out of this current tournament depending on circumstances, so there might very well be an extra eligible spot for winnings!)

Keep it simple, keep it fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tournaments are tournaments.
    You could lengthen the margin maybe. Although the single elimination is cool and tough if you can get past say the 3rd round.
    I can see it getting complicated too. I followed a lot of baseball when I was younger, stats and all. You could do a divisional thing, keeping the newbies in one side and veterans on the other. Sometimes the spoiler does make the front page and screws the frontrunner. Nothing wrong with that!

Or drawing pools like world cup soccer or that baseball classic they just had. It can get out of hand.

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Those are some awesome scores, especially for the three above me.

But I think it's fitting, don't you?

The_4th_Survivor snagging 4th place, with 40 points.

Man.... I have to give you an update to kudos (WTF are kudos anyway? I remember them to be granola snacks); The White Chocolate Chip Brownie, NE146 :P

It took me a few hours of practice to achieve that score of 242,000, let alone get to about the 7th stage. All in fun though.
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

And just a word of advice, higher scores can be acheived with perseverance. Don't expect to sit down for 30 minutes and get a score like NE146 did. I don't want some of you to just throw your hands up and say "well, I am just not good at this". Being good at games takes practice, so don't be discouraged if you get knocked out of a couple of tournaments. You'll get better.
    Hell, I must have played about 50 games before I got over 200k... My advice is to sit down, play 5 or 10 games in succession, and I'm sure you'll see an increase in your score. Call it a day, and then do the same thing again tomorrow. By the end of the round, you'll probably have a score 5 times higher than anything you were getting before this whole thing started.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Well, a fighting game would be very intresting, and I suppose it could technically be done, because there are points issued. Of course, to be good, you'd have to pull off rediculous combos and the such.
    Fighting games (at least, modern ones) would be a little tricky for something like this... Scores are potentially limited because you beat the game too fast, so taking three rounds for each match would get you a better score (or if you're REALLY good, setting up a double knockout for an extra round). Some interesting challenges, but all in all, I think it's poorly suited to something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Damn, 3 through 5 were pretty close, reminds me of last year. Laughing I could get to just under 300k a couple times which is super frustrating since 310k = another extra life. Ze_ro probably thought the same since 360k = an extra life.
    Actually, I was so amazed that I managed such a score that I hadn't even thought of it... but yeah, that is a little disappointing. For a long time, there was a plateau in my game at about 160k until I got good enough that I could get that extra life reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    I know it's not mandatory.. but if it aint a hassle for some of you, I'd like to encourage you guys to record input files. There are some of us who do enjoy watching other peoples games. Smile I'd have loved to seen Ze_ro's game for example.
    It's a great idea, and I'll have to try to get a few in the future. I still haven't quite figured out how to get proper screenshots out of XMAME, so inp's might be a good alternative.

Yes, the tourney is single elimination. If someone can explain to me how to make it not be single elimination and still be short (like a few weeks) then I am all ears. We can try different formats for different tournaments.
    When this thing first started, I didn't know about the eliminations... I figured we'd just all play all the rounds, and then final standings would be based on our overall score for all the games. Anyways, I'm fine with the way things are though, I'm up for the challenge.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Fighting games (at least, modern ones) would be a little tricky for something like this... Scores are potentially limited because you beat the game too fast, so taking three rounds for each match would get you a better score (or if you're REALLY good, setting up a double knockout for an extra round). Some interesting challenges, but all in all, I think it's poorly suited to something like this.
    Games like Art of Fighting 3 time you. Your final score is the amount of time it took you to beat the game. Others, like the Real Bout Fatal Fury games, give you different scores and grades depending on what you did during the game.

It's all a matter of choosing which games to use.

But if anyone chooses Tattoo Assassins, I'm out. Not even I am that good. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I like fighting games, a rom must be picked that everyone has a chance to run. Some roms tend to be picky with operating systems and different mame versions.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

OK the new game has been chosen. Please check your e-mail and READ THE WHOLE MESSAGE. Lots of new information that you NEED to know, including special rules for this game.

Anyone else who wants to play along, go over to mameleague.jibbajaba.com and download the ROM. If you are not currently part of the tournament, you can still submit a score and I will include you on the rankings list.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweeet!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great pick, Jibba! Fortunately, I've had this Rom on my PC for a long time, so I've had plenty of practice. Game on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster Sam
    Great pick, Jibba! Fortunately, I've had this Rom on my PC for a long time, so I've had plenty of practice. Game on!
    dangit!