Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Quick Paypal/eBay payment and shipping question

I just sold a game CD on eBay. The shipping options were $3.50 via First Class Mail, and $5.50 via Priority.

I also received the payment just now. The email said this:

Shipping & Handling via USPS Priority Mail to 441XX $3.50 USD(includes any seller handling fees)

Now, I am NOT shipping it Priority Mail for that fee; that's the First Class rate. I'm wondering, if I ship it first class instead of Priority, could the buyer file a complaint with eBay for shipping it first class? I explicitely stated that Priority costs $5.50 on the auction, and I don't want this to bite me in the ass later on.

I sent him a message which says this:

Hi, I just received your payment. I wanted to let you know that since you only sent $3.50 for shipping costs, I will be shipping the item via First Class Mail, inside a bubble mailer. For some reason, your Paypal payment states that you chose Priority, when that costs $5.50. Since you didn't cover the costs for Priority Mail, I won't ship it that way. Just wanted to let you know upfront. Thanks!
    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you sure you want to send that in a bubble mailer? I'd imagine the Case and maybe the CD will get cracked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the auction stated that you get first class mail shipping for $3.50 and that's what the buyer paid then that's what he gets. He can't complain that he didn't get priority mail shipping if he didn't pay for it. He can however (as Sue Warrior said) complain if this item arrives damaged because it wasn't packaged well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Quick Paypal/eBay payment and shipping question

A single CD is thin enough that it won't get smashed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    I just sold a game CD on eBay. The shipping options were $3.50 via First Class Mail, and $5.50 via Priority.

"Shipping & Handling via USPS Priority Mail to 441XX
    "$3.50 USD (includes any seller handling fees)"
    That's weird. Paypal Programming Error?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    Are you sure you want to send that in a bubble mailer? I'd imagine the Case and maybe the CD will get cracked.
    It's just a CD, and I'm packaging it well. The disc won't get damaged.

I noticed a lot of people don't like my minimum 5.50 Priority Mail shipping fee, so I just added First Class to attract more buyers. I added a disclaimer where it says that I'm not responsible for damaged items via first class, and suggest the buyer gets insurance. ;P
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

When choosing your shipping options did you make sure that 1st class service was $3.50 and Priority was $5.50? I'm not talking about in the description but the actual service you choose right before you confirm the listing.

Whats the link for the auction dude?

edit:Nevermind I saw it, it was correct. Thats weird. But ya if it was stated then you're OK.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added a disclaimer where it says that I'm not responsible for damaged items via first class, and suggest the buyer gets insurance. ;P
    Paypal or Ebay won't accept that if buyer files a 'not as described' dispute. They'll refund the money.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Besides writing the shipping in the auction description, you can actually set the shipping options to have priority and first class at whatever price you state. The buyer does not have the option of changing those, just selecting the shipping options that you set up.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by cavein2000
    Besides writing the shipping in the auction description, you can actually set the shipping options to have priority and first class at whatever price you state. The buyer does not have the option of changing those, just selecting the shipping options that you set up.
    I did.

This is why I'm confused. The Paypal email said Priority at $3.50, when I wrote $5.50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by cavein2000
    I did.

This is why I'm confused. The Paypal email said Priority at $3.50, when I wrote $5.50.
    One thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes 1st class is considered priority for some reason. Basically anything other than media or parcel are "priority". Sometimes its tagged 1st class priority.

Item not as described is not the same as "shipping" not as described.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was referring to the Damaged items. Paypal / Ebay won't accept "if you don't buy insurance, seller not responsible". They'll refund the money anyway per the user agreement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In your eBay preferences there's a section called "Payments From Buyers". One of the options there is to allow the buyer to edit payment totals. God knows why eBay allows this but perhaps the invoice was sent to him showing $5.50 for priority mail that it was supposed to be and he just changed it to what he wanted to pay. Check your eBay settings and turn off this option.