Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Revolution is my Next Gen Choice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why the Revolution is my Next Gen Choice

Here we all are on the verge of a new generation of consoles and decisions must be made. Many maturing gamers are now starting families and cannot easily afford or have the time necessary to enjoy multiple consoles. This fact is even more prevalent because of a solid and growing handheld market that is also competing for our time and money. So, unlike the current generation I feel that many will be settling with one at home console. As not to mislead anyone reading further I have chosen the Nintendo Revolution as my future console purchase, what I would like to do now is explain this decision and the difficulty in reaching it.
    Let me begin with an easy to remove option, the Xbox 360. I have never enjoyed first person shooters on consoles, nor do I spend much time playing sports titles. Equally I have grown more than tired of the paint by numbers third person shooters that have been filling the market since Grand Theft Auto’s spectacular debut. Since these genres tend to dominate Microsoft’s gaming line up, this is an easy buffet to skip. Additionally I feel the desperate to be hip marketing was pretentious, leaving the same sour taste as ten minutes of primetime MTV viewing. That being said, I am left with a difficult choice.
    In this current generation have owned but one console; the PS2. It has treated me with an unimaginable bit of kindness. I have explored its inner workings like teens in a backseat. I have nursed this version one PS2 and it has continued to put out. Hardware wise I could not be happier.
    What brought me into the arms of the PS2 to start with were many pleasurable experiences with the first Playstation of a former college roommate. From far too many hours of Street Fighter to a straight start to finish run through the original Silent Hill many great adventures experienced. Upon leaving college and getting a job, it was also time to claim a console of my own. PS2 had been out for a bit by this time and a close friend of mine looking for the gaming high like an addict in an evidence room was ready for Microsoft’s first offering. Gladly taking his sloppy seconds I purchased his used PS2 and about six games for about two hundred and fifty U.S. dollars or the equivalent of a tank of gas in a SUV. Of course I found a used copy of Silent Hill 2 the same week as my PS2 purchase, and life was good.
    I had many wonderful Turkish gaming delights with that first year with my PS2. I experienced the then revolutionary free world roaming GTA 3 and the breathtaking splendor of ICO. I spent many a night on the near impossible goals of Palmers: Pro Snow Boarder. Essentially I got off of work and the console came on.
    Slowly but surely however the games began to blur and those that were unique and captivating were coming out and only a trickle. I had ended up at a point where my PS2 held more dust than games, only awakening for the next installment of Silent Hill or a Karaoke Revolution party. A few blips however have prevented a total flat-line into mediocrity, God of War, Katamari Damacy, the awe inspiring Shadow of the Colossus, and hopefully the upcoming Okami. What could revive me from this gaming coma? All I remember is someone standing over me screaming “CLEAR” and repeatedly shoving a bizarre dual screened gizmo in my face.
    Everyday I praise my DS, I am in love and not afraid to admit it to the world. If I could write sonnets and poems to it I would. This little handheld device taught me all over again what it means to be a gamer. From the simple pleasures of Animal Crossing to the raw competitiveness of Mario Kart everything is in the DS and all offering innovation is some form. I have purchased more games in 4 months than I have in the past 3 years since getting my beautiful teal DS.
    The Nintendo DS has also breathed the breath of life back into many of my friendships. Much like poker nights of our forefathers I am gathering with all of my friends at least once every other week for some great multiplayer action. Strange the things that keep people close.
    The DS has shown me not only the importance of innovation in gaming but also the care and commitment of Nintendo to fun and quality gaming. So while those that I know and love, Silent Hill, Karaoke Revolution you know who you are, will never be forgotten, I must move on.
    Unless someone wants to buy me a PS3 to set next to my Revolution…
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a Nintendo Fan not a Nintendo Fanboy. Let me explain. When the DS first came out I told everyone I knew that that little system was going to be Nintendo's downfall. I could not believe Nintendo would sell some crap like that. When I saw the PSP I forgot about the NDS. I went out the second day and bought myself a PSP. The PSP was like heaven to play for 2 hours. After my 2 hours of playing time I placed it in it's pouch and rarely took it out. I was happy I had the PSP. The graphics were the best thing I had ever seen in a portable. Little did I know I had forgotten what real gaming was like. Months later I decided to pick up the DS with Mario 64 DS. I played it causually. Then I suddenly picked up Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Lost in Blue, Trauma Center, Memory Trace, Phenoix Wright, Kirby's Canvas, Resident Evil, Princess Peach, Meteos, Age of Empires, Wario Touch, Nintendogs, Golden Eye, Advance Wars, Metroid and finally TETRIS. While my PSP is collecting dust along with Ridge Racer, Poplocorois, and GTA.

THE END.

Just yesterday I sat down with my co-workers and played 4 player Mario Kart on the DS. There was more yelling in that room than I had ever heard. My principal thought we were figthing and came to see what was going on. Multiplayer on the Nintendo DS is something everyone should experience. It will remind you why we became gamers.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Bad choice in my opinion. Anyone who chooses the Revolution exclusively is going to be missing out on 80% (my guess) of what video games have to offer in the next 5 or so years.

I'll be treating the Revolution much like I do my Gamecube (which I bought before a PS2 or Xbox)...as a companion piece to a real console.

Nintendo said themselves that the Rev. won't be competing with the PS3 or 360 directly. I'm sure Nintendo will have a few excellent, must-have 1st party titles every year, but that will be it. They might as well have called it the Gamecube 2 (+ retro download service). Besides the price and the thought of new Mario/Zelda games, the Revolution is my least anticipated next-gen console. Anyway, I will still be buying a Revolution and a bunch of their games, so I guess in the end Nintendo still wins.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually think the Revolution will see better 3rd party support than the Cube did. I think that the DS has gotten many developers back with Nintendo and I think some long time developers (Konami/Capcom/EA) will be brought back in with the money to be made in the Virtual Console.

I know the source is iffy at best, but in their weekly video wrapout, the ign.com editor even says he knows of games being worked on (and is presumably under a non-disclosure on them) and that major publishers and big titles are already in the works. If the DS juggernaut continues and the virtual console works out, I think publishers will be lining up to work with Nintendo - especially with MUCH lower development costs involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Rev will be my console of choice too. I'm really excited about it I also thought the DS was going to be the end of Nintendo. I was like ... wtf? Nintendo is resorting to cheap trickery. Virtual Boy II I called it. Man was I wrong.

It's not the system, it's the games.

The DS has rekindled my faith in Nintendo. I've got to admit, after the n64 and the cube, I wasn't sure if nintendo had it in them. Sure, they each had a couple of good (great) games, but most of the rest was crap. The DS though is just killing those fears. I'm super impressed (a little pissy I got the red mariokart DS and the Lite was announced right afterwards, but that's another story )

I have full confidence that Nintendo is making the right move, and that it'll pay off. There are loads of people that don't want the typical xbox/ps2 fare (especially xbox). Each has a couple of games that interest me, but most of their software I''m not interested in. Most of the time, I couldn't care less about the games by two brother-in-laws are interested in, both xbox/pc fanboys. I'm much more interested in whatever nintendo has coming down the line.

So, with nintendo offering a new console experience with a budget pricetag, I'm with you. Nintendo all the way

(I'll probably get a 360 and ps3 though - I'll wait for price drops - hopefully we'll be able to mod the 360 into a kickass home media center like the original xbox)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Silliness! :P

Wait until E3.

Right now I am interested in the new consoles in this order:

X360 - it's here now and it's starting to look tasty. XBLA is a big plus. Bird in the hand.
    Rev - Hmmmmm, your ideas intrigue me, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. More 'green eggs and ham' than DS though...
    PS3 - I have my doubts on price and actual performance, but many games may be exclusive.

Could all change after E3...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, theres room for em all......
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jezt
    Geez, theres room for em all......
    Not in my budget there isn't

Seriously though, I'd be lying if I didn't say price wasn't a factor. I bought my PS2 at full price, but I was younger, didn't have a kid, and didn't have a car payment at the time. I'm gaming on a budget now and the Revolution fits that just fine.

My plans are: Revolution on launch, PS3 or 360 in 2007 after their first price drop and 2nd batch of games hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My preference

revolution > 360 > ps3

Basically just based on price after the rev.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    Bad choice in my opinion. Anyone who chooses the Revolution exclusively is going to be missing out on 80% (my guess) of what video games have to offer in the next 5 or so years.

I'll be treating the Revolution much like I do my Gamecube (which I bought before a PS2 or Xbox)...as a companion piece to a real console.

Nintendo said themselves that the Rev. won't be competing with the PS3 or 360 directly. I'm sure Nintendo will have a few excellent, must-have 1st party titles every year, but that will be it. They might as well have called it the Gamecube 2 (+ retro download service). Besides the price and the thought of new Mario/Zelda games, the Revolution is my least anticipated next-gen console. Anyway, I will still be buying a Revolution and a bunch of their games, so I guess in the end Nintendo still wins.

My thoughts exactly,, I already have a 360 and its a kick ass system this will get most of my play time. I will get the Rev next,as a companion(kinda like buying an old school system), Ill probably skip the PS3 unless it puts out some killer games(who knows).

JS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm frankly tired of the type of thing that the PS3 and 360 offer, at least to start. I don't need any more military shooters. I don't need a better looking Madden. I don't need DOA4, I have VF4Evo - a better playing game than DOA will ever be.

The 360 has ONE game announced that interests me, and that's the Pinata game by Rare. Other than that, it's sports and shooters and I can live without those.

That's why I'm doing the Revolution first, then doing a "traditional" console the following year, if the need is there. It wouldn't surprise me if I never own a PS3 or a 360.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to wait until after E3 to decide on my next gen console. Sure price is a factor and so is the third party support.

Nintendo has always put out a quality product. I feel they are one of the only games companies that care about a quality gaming experience. Microsoft is always out to make money. How do you think they got so big. They have been treating their game consoles as if they were operating systems. To me that is a very bad move.

I look at how Xbox live started and though it was a very well executed plan. I now look at the latest version of it and it is plaqued with shopping, trash talking, and ecommerce. I can get that on the internet and Ebay, why would I want that on my gaming console as well.

SOny is cool and at times, innovative. The PS3 looks nice, but with no game demos and hardly any new info about the console, it is looking pretty bad. I like the idea of Blue-Ray discs, but at what price. We are all on a budget of sorts, and I personally cannot justify $65.00-$80.00 a game.

SNKFan75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

My preference for the next several years:

PSP > PS3 > Xbox 360 > games on my cell phone > games on my PDA > not joining this "revolution"

Seriously. I'm waiting until I see what a next-gen system with current-gen horsepower and a remote control offers until I cream my pants with excitement. And then I'll quickly lose that excitement when Sony and/or Microsoft just comes out with their own damn remote controller for their vastly higher-tech consoles.

Don't flame me. Just my opinion.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I was excited about the Rev when they unvield the controller, and I'm just as excited now. It WAS going to be the first of my next gen purcheses however that was sometime ago and I still don't know when the system is coming out so I have a 360 to pass the time. And thank god I do because the arcade is godly.

But I will be getting a Revolution Launch day.

I'ill get a PS3 whenever it aquires a hefty backlog of RPGs and drops to an affordable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

likely just a 360 for me, but as said gotta wait till E3 for a final choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

X360 = own it, love it
    Revolution = intrigues me, and is probably the thing I'm most excited about at E3. 99.9% sure I'll buy one
    PS3 = the more I see of it, the more and more disappointed I get. Judging from the tech demos and ingame demos, it looks extremely inferior to the 360. 30% sure I'll get one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt
    X360 = own it, love it
    Revolution = intrigues me, and is probably the thing I'm most excited about at E3. 99.9% sure I'll buy one
    PS3 = the more I see of it, the more and more disappointed I get. Judging from the tech demos and ingame demos, it looks extremely inferior to the 360. 30% sure I'll get one.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat except i doubt the PS3 will be inferior in power, maybe in online support though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps Sony are trying to do the oposite of what they did with the PS2 by underhyping the PS3. That way, when the games come out everyone will be impressed rather than let down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt
    X360 = own it, love it
    I will be buying a PS3, I will be buying the Revolution

I am still unsure about buying the Xbox 360, I probaly will get it.

but we will see.

to say that the PS3 will be inferior to the 360 by seeing what we have seen, which IMO is nothing it's still a long way to go

e3 will be a good place to see. but I don't like how your judging it without seeing it that's pretty pathetic IMO

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    I'm pretty much in the same boat except i doubt the PS3 will be inferior in power, maybe in online support though.
    I will agree with you about the Online Support, it should be interesting to see though.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars