Thread: Is a 100% working Tekken Tag Tournament cab worth $550?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is a 100% working Tekken Tag Tournament cab worth $550?

I was bidding on a tekken tag tournament cabinet (in a killer instinct cabinet and I can tell the control panel used to be for something Nintendo) and the auction ended (reserve not met) and the seller messaged me saying he'd sell it to me for $550 cash (I was the highest bidder at 405 - max of 450).

He has perfect feedback and I'd have to go pick it up in person anyways so I'm not worried about that... It's just I have no idea what it's worth. I see other older tekken cabinets selling for much more (or going for much more, not selling anyways), but those are in original cabinets.

Not that I'm in this to make money, I'm just wondering some common problems or issues with this type of machine. It's got a 25" monitor he says is crystal clear.

here are the pictures for it
    http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=100_2335.jpg

Really any input on anything would be helpful, the only thing I know is I love the game tekken and playing tag (or any version) in the arcade has always been fun and I think tekken tag will age a lot better than if I say buy tekken 3 since the tag feature is unique (& fun).

$550 seems like a great deal to me - too good to be true?

Nate

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is a 100% working Tekken Tag Tournament cab worth $550?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749
    $550 seems like a great deal to me - too good to be true?
    If it's a good deal to you, that's all that really matters. I wouldn't pay $550 for a Tekken Tag conversion cab (even though I'm a Tekken Tag fan), *but* I'm also very picky about what machines I buy because there's only so much space.

Is it a fair deal? Sure. Is it a steal? No, but given your enthusiasm for the game, you probably don't want to wait around to find one for less. Even if you knew that you'd find one in as good or better condition in two years for say, $300, that's two years you could have spent playing *this* one.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much (and for the quick response), that's just what I wanted to know. Space isn't a huge concern since it will be going in a warehouse (where I work) and not say my gaming room at my place.

I think I'll stick to my original max of $450. Thanks again.

Nate

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally don't want to collect anything other than original cabs. Therefore I wouldn't pay that much for any conversion either.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    I personally don't want to collect anything other than original cabs. Therefore I wouldn't pay that much for any conversion either.
    Yeah I'm not a collector, I just want to have the arcade version of the game =) I'm thinking about just telling him $400 though, just out of curiousity, what would you pay?

Nate

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, if it was very clean, maybe $350 and that's a big maybe for me. I'm not cheap by any means, but I just have little interest in a conversion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear of folks on this forum scoring machines for quite cheap... and many have mentioned using auctions to acquire their cabs. Being from Washington, I've not seen SuperAuctions anywhere near this area, so from my perspective 4-$500 seems reasonable if it's somewhat local, and you like the game. I personally love the Tekken series... and a 25" crystal-clear monitor sounds like a plus as well... How close does he live? With gas prices as they are, that's something to consider...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

For what it's worth, I paid $250 for my Tekken 4 cabinet. If the seller is serious about selling it, and you're local, you've got the advantage.

Most people (who aren't distributors) who are selling arcade games want them gone for a reason. Space, moving, disinterest, going under and are generally apt on getting them out of there quick. If his asking price is $550, tell him you'll go $400 but you'll take the game that day.

Bring gear to move it and bring friends so the seller doesn't have to touch it, it'll go a long way.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd buy that and convert it back to killer instinct. KI 1's are pretty uncommon. all you need to do is locate a board and a marquee. the control panel is just covered with the tekken overlay and will prolly peel right off

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in Chicago and he's in a suburb that's about 30 minutes from where I'm at and about the same from where I used to live in the suburbs, it's not bad at all. Gas isn't an issue because I'd be using the company cargo van so that's paid for.

He wouldn't budge on the price though, and he stated the same reason the Hammy did, that KI is rare and it's worth that the $550. Basically that's why someone would want it (not for tekken tag which is in it right now). I told him to contact me later if the price ever moved down, he was pretty adament that it wouldn't... he's not an individual either I don't believe, since from his auctions it seems like he was at some type of show/convention, and has other various arcade games selling.

Tekken 4 for $250?!?! wow, I definitely would have purchased it for that, I just don't ever see those type of deals, I'm definitely on the out for this type of stuff. I actually started looking on ebay for pinball machines and then I somehow got looking at tekken (again). I'll just wait until a dedicated (and cheaper) cab comes along.

Thanks for the responses and help =)

Oh and I wish I liked KI, because then I would buy it and convert it back, but I really can't stand the game, not too sure why.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Oh and I wish I liked KI, because then I would buy it and convert it back, but I really can't stand the game, not too sure why.

Nate
    Because it plays like a war-crime, that's why. One of the most overrated games of all time.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise

Nate
    Because it plays like a war-crime, that's why. One of the most overrated games of all time.
    Seconded (or is it Thirded at this point...).
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mr. Wardner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dynamo JAMMA
    PSN
    Johnnycab

If you haven't already, you should check out this website for local arcade sales in your area:

http://www.namcoarcade.com/game-sales.asp

Using this search, there are 5 Tekken Tag machines close to me (Southeast) for $195! These machines they're selling are in the Namco-owned arcades (usually in a mall)...so the great thing about that is you can go check it out first and even play it before deciding!

This is also the way I found my beautiful Capcom CPS-2 machine (for only $295 with 25", MvC A+B boards, the works!). Of course I replaced all the buttons and sticks, though.

WELCO
    ME
    TOT
    HE
    NEX
    T
    LEVEL

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks so much for the link mr. wardner, there are 2 in schaumburg (suburb about 30 minutes from chicago) for $195! There's 5 of them in my region and they're all conversions, calling them tomorrow for sure =)

Nate

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wardner
    If you haven't already, you should check out this website for local arcade sales in your area:

http://www.namcoarcade.com/game-sales.asp

Using this search, there are 5 Tekken Tag machines close to me (Southeast) for $195! These machines they're selling are in the Namco-owned arcades (usually in a mall)...so the great thing about that is you can go check it out first and even play it before deciding!

This is also the way I found my beautiful Capcom CPS-2 machine (for only $295 with 25", MvC A+B boards, the works!). Of course I replaced all the buttons and sticks, though.

I really like that tool you posted. It looks like someone in Ca. is selling Tekken Tag for only $195. I'm surprised that Tekken 4 and Tekken Tag sell for so low when some other games like Rolling Extreme go for 1000+ or Golden Tee 2004 goes for $3000+. x_x
    "I'm going to download PONG it should only take seven hours." -Crow T. Robot

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason is that tekken tag's are just old jamma cabs. rolling extreme is a dedicated, and golden tee's are current.

all a jamma cab is worth to an op is price of board and monitor.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    The reason is that tekken tag's are just old jamma cabs. rolling extreme is a dedicated, and golden tee's are current.

all a jamma cab is worth to an op is price of board and monitor.
    Ah, I didn't realize that TT was only released as a kit. That makes perfect sense then.
    "I'm going to download PONG it should only take seven hours." -Crow T. Robot

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it was not only released as kit, but you don't see many dedicateds at all, as most ops opted for the kit (cheaper).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the advantage of a "decdicated" just because they are rarer so it's more of a collectable?

I called the place that said they had two tekken tags, both gone, but the guy said he put me down on some list for next time it comes in. I'll also call some places in other states near me, for $195 definitely worth it, I see the jamma board selling for over $100 on eBay right now. That would mean if I ripped the board out and sold it I would have (although beat up) a monitor, cab, and controls for less than $100. Right?

Anyone know of any other great links like that for arcade cabs?

Nate

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know of any other great links like that for arcade cabs?

Nate
    If you like JPN candies then there's Arcade Infinity. They're in Industry, California. There's also Matsu who is also in California. His email is gamemachine2003@hotmail.com
    Give him a holler, and he'll let you know what he's got.