Thread: Will a Genesis 1 RGB cable work with a Neo-Geo AES?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will a Genesis 1 RGB cable work with a Neo-Geo AES?

Ok, I recently acquired a Neo-Geo AES. My plan was to use it in RGB on my Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor. I didn't think I needed a special Neo-Geo RGB cable, because I already had a Genesis 1 RGB cable, and I also already had a Neo-Geo CD rgb cable, and I thought the connector was the same.

So, at first, I tried using the Neo-Geo CD rgb cable with it on my Commodore 1084S-D1. But the picture was rolling and bouncing and sometimes going black and white and sometimes color. You can kinda see the games, and they do look very clear, but the picture is bouncing and rolling and doing some strange things.

So then I tried my Genesis 1 RGB cable. Same exact result.

So, at this point, I tried to hook up the Neo-Geo to the Commdore 1084S-D1 via the composite input, and the regular A/V cables that came with the Geo. Same exact result. This had me really worried, cause I thought that maybe the video output of this Neo-Geo was broken. But I tried hooking up the Neo-Geo to some other TV's in my house via composite, and there was no rolling or bouncing, and it looked fine. The composite signal looked pretty damn crappy, with alot of noise and stuff, but it appeared to be working fine. (unless the composite output isn't supposed to be so crappy)

So at this point, I'm wondering if I need a RGB cable that is specific to the Neo-Geo AES, and that a Genesis 1 rgb cable or a Neo-Geo CD rgb cable won't work? Or should a Genesis 1 rgb cable work fine? Maybe there is something wrong with the video output on this Neo, cause I did try to hook up a SNES, NES and Genny 2 to my Commodore 1084S-D1's composite input and all 3 worked fine, but when I tried the Neo again, the same problem with the rolling and bouncing picture happened.

Any suggestions or takes on this would be appreciated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo AES

It would seem that different versions of the Neo Geo AES gives out different RGB signals.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/neoav.htm

I should test my Neo Geo AES also for RGB and will tell you the result.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Neo Geo AES

Quote Originally Posted by staxx
    It would seem that different versions of the Neo Geo AES gives out different RGB signals.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/neoav.htm

I should test my Neo Geo AES also for RGB and will tell you the result.
    That chart is just the quality of the picture..

The Neo Geo (all models) and Genesis 1 RGB cables are identical in construction.. I should know, I make them reguarly.

The only difference is, the connector for the Genesis 1 has to be 8 pin offset din, whereas for Neo Geo you can use offset din or circular din (circular is much easier and cheaper to find)