Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero II announced! (XB360 Song packs released!)

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Targets and Walmarts all over the place have sold the non bundle version early. Lots of people already bought and beat it ;D. There a video of Buckethead's Jordan...man the added solo looks like PAIN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adi-YnpFroI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqGW7QhJbE

This guy 4 star'ed it...but yeah, that solo looks absolutely vicious. I don't think I'd ever be able to play that, even with practice.
    That's a pretty damn skilled video, ALTHOUGH, he did use the speed scroll "cheat" to make it easier. It's still a legit option, and spaces out the notes, so they're much easier to hit. A lot would call it cheating I guess, but I hand it to him none the less for pulling it off most excellent.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Targets and Walmarts all over the place have sold the non bundle version early. Lots of people already bought and beat it ;D. There a video of Buckethead's Jordan...man the added solo looks like PAIN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adi-YnpFroI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqGW7QhJbE

This guy 4 star'ed it...but yeah, that solo looks absolutely vicious. I don't think I'd ever be able to play that, even with practice.
    That's a pretty damn skilled video, ALTHOUGH, he did use the speed scroll "cheat" to make it easier. It's still a legit option, and spaces out the notes, so they're much easier to hit. A lot would call it cheating I guess, but I hand it to him none the less for pulling it off most excellent.
    Actually, it doesn't space out the notes and nothing is easier to hit. It speeds up the scroll so it's easier to read, because honestly that solo at normal speed is just a blur.

You still have the exact same amount of time to hit each note if you do or don't have the cheat on.

Strawberry (Level 2) tornadostormxl's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might pick it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Hahaha, I can't believe I'm reading the old speed mod argument in relation to Guitar Haro.

Speed mods exist in nearly every other rhythm game with scrolling notes. People argue about them being used in Dance Dance Revolution all the time (since there are some 9- and 10-foot songs that become more like 7-foot songs when you change the speed to 2x....Bag, My Summer Love and Orion.78 come to mind)

but when it comes to beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music, Guitar Freaks, Drummania, EVERYBODY uses speed mods. You're just staring at one massive lump of notes otherwise. Sure it's possible to play at normal speed, but it's a lot more frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Well I just picked it up at Meijer, they've got a coupon for today (the 7th) only, $20 off any new game $50 or more.

It's killing me. First song takes me totally by suprise, Shout at the Devil. Even though it's on the demo and I've played it a dozen times, it takes me totally by suprise because they completely changed it.

Only played the first 5 songs on expert as I don't want to be too loud this late, but I went through 12 on easy (only way to unlock some guitars ) and it feels really polished.

With what cash I did get from playing on expert I bought some of the bonus songs... tried Less Talk More Rokk... holy shit this song is going to kick so much ass once I get HO/PO's working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me or do the songs seem twice as long as the previous game? Don't get me wrong, I love the track listing but for almost every song I play, I either start getting bored halfway thru or feels like my fingers are going to snap off.

And I was really surprised how easy they made the HO/PO's this time around. Technically, there isn't really any PO's...it's just all HO's now. Don't know how I feel about that but it definitely makes nailing the super fast solos a lot easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Is it just me or do the songs seem twice as long as the previous game? Don't get me wrong, I love the track listing but for almost every song I play, I either start getting bored halfway thru or feels like my fingers are going to snap off.
    I think that's a combination of the increased difficulty and the actual long songs. What was the longest song in the first game, Smoke On The Water? Now we have War Pigs, Jessica, YYZ, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Freebird, plus some of the shorter songs have been lengthened. Longer solo in Heart-Shaped Box, new ending for Them Bones......

Can't believe how much harder this damn game is than the last. I have 6 songs left to pass, and the only one that I've had to play more than once is Psychobilly Freakout, but still....wow. I think I have 5 stars on 1 or 2 songs. I don't even know how I passed Freya or Crazy On You.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. Also, there are a lot more songs with long periods of not playing the guitar (i.e. "Frankenstein" in the first one), which gets kind of old.

I bought the game at Wal-Mart last night at 12:30 AM, and there were a bunch of skinny white boys all in there doing the same thing and clogging up the only two checkout lines (10+ kids like me; keep in mind that this was not even right at midnight). I had called them about two hours prior to see if they would have it at midnight, and the girl on the phone said that she seriously doubted it, so this was certainly not something that they planned for (I figured it was worth the chance to swing by anyway--glad I did). I really hate Wal-Mart but they're the only place around here that sells video games and is open at that hour, so I planned on buying the game there, playing it that night, then buying it again somewhere more palatable the next day, and returning that new copy to Wal-Mart, so the company that I like gets my business, and I get the game when I want it. As it happens, Wal-Mart only got the bundle in with the guitar, so I opened the tape carefully and planned on just switching out the game itself with the game-only copy I'd buy today. When I went out to retrieve it today (alongside Elite Beat Agents and Final Fantasy V), the Game Crazy I went to was sold out of bundles and only had a single copy of the game-only version (which was open and being used as a demo, so I couldn't return it to Wal-Mart unopened; therefore, it wouldn't serve my purpose, and I didn't buy it), and then Toys R Us had a few copies of the bundle but no copies of the game-only version, and finally Circuit City had one copy left of the game-only one (which I bought) and no bundles. I wonder why Wal-Mart and Toys R Us didn't seem to order any of the game-only ones (Wal-Mart definitely didn't; Toys R Us might've just been sold out of them already)?

As for the game, I was pleased with the song list before I played the game, but after having played it all the way through (I beat it on medium last night in about three hours, getting five stars on all but two songs (Them Bones and Psychobilly Freakout being the two) on my first try, and perfects on two of them on my first try), I'm less enthusiastic. I like the songs I knew I'd like, but the songs I didn't know going in are kind of boring and poopedy. I'm sure I'll have a lot more fun with it once I start playing with friends (which will be about 36 minutes from now... ) and/or notch up the difficulty.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah
    Can't believe how much harder this damn game is than the last. I have 6 songs left to pass, and the only one that I've had to play more than once is Psychobilly Freakout, but still....wow. I think I have 5 stars on 1 or 2 songs. I don't even know how I passed Freya or Crazy On You.
    What difficulty are you playing it on? Because I thought medium was noticeably way easier than medium on GH1 was.

Speaking of which, "Crazy On You" is one of my favorites on the new game.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan
    What difficulty are you playing it on?
    Expert. I 5-starred the first 2 tiers in GH1 on Expert without breaking a sweat, but the first time I played "Woman" I got 3 stars. Oof.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, so I got it during school (I left during lunch, yeah I'm a badass...) so from 2:45 til about 6:55 all I did was play Hard mode. Passed every song, mostly 5's, didn't fail any songs, unlocked everything in the store but all the costumes and all the guitar skins. This game ROCKS SO FUCKING HARD. !00% better than GH1, and that's on my top 10 favorite games of all time list. And so is this, now.

Get this. You need it. Now.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Well, beat the game on Expert last night/this morning. Passed Hangar 18 and Freebird on my first tries. I'd say I had the hardest time with Beast And The Harlot.

.....Jordan......wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody know what it takes to get your drummer to die at the end of Tonight I'm going to rock you? It did it for me the first time I beat it as an encore, but hasn't done it since. I've 5 starred it as well as gotten a 100% on it, but no luck.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I played through Expert and only failed a few songs, most of them at the end. Oh yeah, and I'm stuck on freebird. I lose it at 73% every time (4 times now) I guess a bit of the practice mode is in order.

The bonus songs rock my face off as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'm stuck on Hangar 18. My arm/fingers just give up about 4 minutes in.

I went through on Easy and unlocked those two guitars, started on Medium and almost fell asleep. Seriously, anything less than expert is just boring.

First song I failed was Freya. That end part just kills me, and I haven't passed it since. I've got a bunch of 5*'s already but I REALLY want to just finishe the game and get my battle axe before I go back working on those.

http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?...&game=2&diff=4

God damn Friedman...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am teh winnar.

Took me 3 more tries, but I got it. Rock.
    So yeah, now it's time to import everything to Score Hero. Eh, maybe later, my hands are kinda... broken now. We're all going to get carple tunnel for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I have never played the first one since I don't have a ps2 and I can't wait for the 360 version to come out this is a gotta get game for next year.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is brutal on the hands. My left hand fingers and right wrist are in pain. But oh the joy. Such an amazing game! I'm stuck on freebird at about 75% where it starts the Blue -> Green pull offs FOREVER. I fail them even with star power. Last song I need to finish though. After finishing expert I think I'm gonna start unlocking the unique guitars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
    Does anybody know what it takes to get your drummer to die at the end of Tonight I'm going to rock you? It did it for me the first time I beat it as an encore, but hasn't done it since. I've 5 starred it as well as gotten a 100% on it, but no luck.
    That's both hilarious and awesome it does that Straight out of the movie

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
    I'm pretty sure that only happens during the 'encore' performances. There are a lot of things that seem to only happen during those, actually.