Thread: Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 exclusive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 exclusive

From Magicbox.com:

Namco announced Ridge Racer 7 for PlayStation 3, an exclusive launch title for PS3 in November 2006. The game will take place in the year 2010, and there will be around 200 different vehicles. Ridge Racer 7 will have online support, Namco's goal is to allow at least 16 players to battle online.

Funny it seems not so long ago I picked up the new long box version of the first Ridge Racer for PSX.

Damn I feel old

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wondered what Namco knows that no other developer seems to. Ridge Racer games are always ahead of their time and perfect in every way. Graphics, control, sound...it's all flawless when the games ship.

I'm sitting at the point in Ridge 6 where everything has to be perfect in order to grab the win. The races where you don't breathe for 3 laps. I had put it down for a month, felt the urge to try one of the "nightmare" races the other day, and won first attempt. Don't ask me how. The Gods were smiling that day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Great news! IMO, RR6 was the most underrated 360 launch title (even if it wasn't truly "Next Gen"). The drifting style of the entire Ridge Racer series has spoiled me from being able to play other racing games. I can't wait.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loke the fact that Ridge Racer has become the true stalwart of launch titles. Namco trys to get one out for any system launch that they can and they are always good, if you're a fan. The 360 version is awesome as I'm sure the PS3 version will be. My favorite 360 game yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    I've always wondered what Namco knows that no other developer seems to. Ridge Racer games are always ahead of their time and perfect in every way. Graphics, control, sound...it's all flawless when the games ship.
    Agreed

Im TERRIBLE at most racing games -well all BUT Ridge Racer lol- and I do luv the Gran Turismo series.
    but it took me over 3 years to get 70% on GT2 and now Im working on GT4 so im certain that it will be a constant in my PS3 years from now

The thing is I was always damn good at Ridge Racer and me and my EX best friend played the original and Rage Racer to death when they were new on the PSX and it took me no time at all to play through RR3 and RR64 I guess im just better at the "drift" type of gameplay.

Also I was wondering if the PS2 Ridge Racer -5 is it?- was good I though about picking it up from time to time but never did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    [
    Also I was wondering if the PS2 Ridge Racer -5 is it?- was good I though about picking it up from time to time but never did.
    God no, Ridge Racer 5 was a terrible launch title (in japan at least, no idea if they cleaned up the US version or not like what Capcom did with Street Fighter EX3). Horribly low resolution with too many visual effects = "jaggies" out the ass. It was damn near impossible to see the turns coming up and in all it was just a visual mess. Avoid the game at all costs (at least until they fix it up, like they did with the first Ridge Racer). Great soundtrack, though.

The series has been pretty hit and miss for me. While I loved the original game, I really did not like 4 and 5. 5 for the above mentioned reasons, and 4 was just too damned easy / the tracks were too damn wide. Great graphics and the jogcon was a neat idea (if gimmicky), but the only real reason to pick up the game imo was for the remake of Ridge Racer. Well, and the soundtrack. Oh, and the intro to Ridge Racer 4 was pretty damn awesome.

But the games? Ehh....

I did really enjoy Ridge Racer 64 and Rave Racer, though..if that counts for anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, the psp rr is freaking ace as well!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 360 version is good fun, and I look forward to the new ps3 version.

-mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice avatar muffinman

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game alone is enough to make me want a PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Namco's goal is to allow at least 16 players to battle online.
    Why don't racing games have this feature now? Crash'n'Burn is hardly a pinnacle of racing games but it has the ability for 16 players to race at once.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ridge 5 on the PS2?

Awesome game gameplay-wise.....once you memorized where all of the drift points were on the tracks, because as was previously stated.....you couldn't see half of the corners until you were in them. If you drifted in a "non-drift" corner you were fucked.

And the jaggies....holy shit. For those who doubted the fact that Sony's brand new PS2 had no anti-aliasing in the hardware....all you had to do was throw this game in and you were shown the truth. Aliasing everywhere. It blows me away that even the talented Namco couldn't get around the PS2's hardware shortcomings.

But.......don't let that dissuade you from hunting down a copy and playing the hell out of it. It's still a Ridge game.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Past experience tells me this will be a great game...I just hope they don't overdo the *shine* like NFS: Underground did. I couldnt see anything comming in that game. It was like racing through a house of mirrors. RR has never let me down though and for the record I played the hell out of RRV. Up until a year ago I was still carrying it in my "games to take to friends houses" case. The only reason I took it out is because none of my friends could come close to competing with me at it.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was never a fan of the series until the PSP game.
    I enjoyed that immensely, and RR6 had me hooked for months. I agree that RR6 was the most under-appreciated 360 launch title. The gameplay is pure bliss.

With the way things are going, I'm sure RR7 will be just as awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool anti ryu pic , mort

on topic : wasnt a big fan of the series ,some of the older releases were cooler
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    It's like a recreation of the original and Ridge Racer Revolution, still a fun game but not the progressive step forward that R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 was. The visuals are fine in the US version outside of two player mode where the fog rolls in. Graphically, in single player mode it looks fine.