Thread: Dreamcast Problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Problem.

I picked up a Dreamcast at a thrift store with one game for $20. When I brought it home I found that the system asks me to set the time/date almost every time I turn it on. Once I do so the thing works but next time I turn it on it does the same thing. Is this something as simple as a bad battery and if so is it easily replacable?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's likely the battery's dead but it could be recharged. Try leaving the DC on for a few hours. If after cycling power it still ask for date and time, it's time to get a screwdriver and soldering iron. The battery's soldered on the controller port board on the front.

$20 is not bad at all. Did it come with any controller, games, or memory modules?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ewwww, Soldering.

I was hoping that it was going to be an easy pop off, pop on PC computer type battery. Oh well. Where do you get the batteries?

As for the system, it came with one control and one game (Sonic Adventure) and no VMU. I already have a Dreamcast, I picked this one up for the bedroom. I can share the VMUs I have between the two consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery you need isn't a common one. Listen carefully because if you install the wrong battery you could do some serious damage to your system or yourself. The battery in the DC is a rechargeable NiCd CR3202: get it from a Radio Shack Catalog or an online electrical parts supplier. If you buy a non-rechargeable CR3202, which is the same size (it is the one in your Dreamcast VMU's and Saturn system) and pop it in there, the system will try to charge it up and possibly heat it up enough that it explodes. If you are knowledgeable about electronics (or know someone who is), you can try installing a non-rechargeable CR3202 and disabling the reverse voltage by wiring a normally-closed position switch to the DC's power button. Otherwise, don't worry about it and enjoy your incredibly inexpensive, underrated, ultimate gaming system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. One more question though.

Is this a typical thing to go in a Dreamcast? I mean, are these batteries in all of my Dreamcasts going to die like this? I know that nothing lasts forever but it doesn't seem that old. 2 years?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately yes DC do fie easy. Fortunately all but one common problem are fixable. I'm only going to list the common problem and simple solutions:

#1 My DC keeps resetting! It's like a poltergiest is playing with my reset button!
    A: Check/clean/reseat the connector between power supply and the mainboard inside. Sometimes bending those pins helps make a better contact.

#2 my controller port won't work!
    A: there's a fuse on the controller port board. It's probably blown. Some 3rd party controller has a habit of blowing it out. If you're brave, you can just bypass it with a piece of wire.

#3 the date keeps resetting!
    A: Leave your DC on for a few hours to recharge the internal battery. If it still doesn't work, you need a new battery. As someone said above, you need a rechargeable CR2032 battery, preferably with solder tab for easy soldering work. Do take care not to overheat the battery when removing or installing the battery, it can explode.

#4 My DC makes funny noise and/or can't read the disc.
    A: The GD-ROM drive could be failing. Unfortunately I have no easy fix for this short of outright replacement. Some online sources do sell replacement mechansim but it's often expensive and just a little short of what new DC used to sell for. A better option is to get an used DV and keep the old one for spare part.

#5 Help! My problem is not listed under the first 4 problem!
    A: Unless you're handy with DMM, oscilloscope, have schematic and good with soldering iron, you're probably better off looking for another DC. The problem you're experiencing is probably not a common issue.