Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden NWC cart:real value of it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    This should tell you what you need to know.

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/nes/nwc/nwc.html

Quote Originally Posted by sivarto
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I dont think there are any real market price on super rare items like this. Price may variate alot from buyer to buyer and when its being sold.
    I would agree but talking about the nintendo gold cart it seems there IS a market price for it,ranging from $1500++ to $6500 like Rob explained:infact quite a few of them were sold and the price range is pretty easy to grasp.

If you pay more,your getting a bad deal since serious collectors know the real price range of that thing.
    I couldn't agree more with that. That arguement about variating price can apply to anything. People can go nuts and overpay, but that doesn't skew the cart's value. That just shows someone had too much money to burn.

Quoted,truer words were never spoken.
    The price range of $1500 to $6000+ is an established price range over the years and you will need at least 2 or 3 sales for more than that to set a new price range.
    But anyway buyatary's try to inflate the price with his ebay auction and his "actual "offer from a known non paying buyer were good fun!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit for double posting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Ohh this is funny.

Its only worth 4k yet the cheapest one you can find for sale is 8k and 3 other sellers who said they would turn down 15k.

also 2 points

1. There are not 26 gold carts. There are less than 10. Thats like saying there are 3000 stadium events or 10000 Atari 2600 quadruns.

2. You don't even know the buyer who offered to buy my NWC. He is also a member here. To call him a deadbeat without personal experience is uncalled for. He offered to paypal me 1/3 the ammount as a deposit. Thats a 4k DEPOSIT !

None of your arguments matter. You fail to see the main point. Its a seller market NOT a buyers market. If you want one you have to pay what a seller wants. The days of 4k gold NWCs are over. Think about this.....If you bought one for 3-5k YEARS AGO would you sell for 4k knowing you might never see another esp after hearing about a possible offer of 12k or 15k? No one who spent 3-5k on a Nintendo cart would sell to break even unless they were desperate and thats all they could get for it. It just doesn't make sense.
    Thank Christ--I was waiting for someone reputable to chime in with a post like this.

I've stayed out of this thread mostly because I'm new-ish here and don't personally own a gold NWC, but sivarto's arguments re: the "real" value of the gold NWC are absolutely laughable. The cart is worth $5000 because that's roughly the average that it has sold for in the past 5-10 years? There is no logic behind that at all. If that formula was used to determine the current going rate for anything collectable, well, prices would be drastically different than what they are now. There's such a thing as market fluctuations, dude. The last clump of grey NWCs to hit eBay went exponentially higher than they had been in the past five or so years; what makes you think that this wouldn't apply to the gold cart as well? All your asinine posts about its "real" value amount to you trying to justify being cheap when trying to acquire the most extravagant of NES games.
    Feedback thread here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan
    Ohh this is funny.

Its only worth 4k yet the cheapest one you can find for sale is 8k and 3 other sellers who said they would turn down 15k.

also 2 points

1. There are not 26 gold carts. There are less than 10. Thats like saying there are 3000 stadium events or 10000 Atari 2600 quadruns.

2. You don't even know the buyer who offered to buy my NWC. He is also a member here. To call him a deadbeat without personal experience is uncalled for. He offered to paypal me 1/3 the ammount as a deposit. Thats a 4k DEPOSIT !

None of your arguments matter. You fail to see the main point. Its a seller market NOT a buyers market. If you want one you have to pay what a seller wants. The days of 4k gold NWCs are over. Think about this.....If you bought one for 3-5k YEARS AGO would you sell for 4k knowing you might never see another esp after hearing about a possible offer of 12k or 15k? No one who spent 3-5k on a Nintendo cart would sell to break even unless they were desperate and thats all they could get for it. It just doesn't make sense.
    Thank Christ--I was waiting for someone reputable to chime in with a post like this.

I've stayed out of this thread mostly because I'm new-ish here and don't personally own a gold NWC, but sivarto's arguments re: the "real" value of the gold NWC are absolutely laughable. The cart is worth $5000 because that's roughly the average that it has sold for in the past 5-10 years? There is no logic behind that at all. If that formula was used to determine the current going rate for anything collectable, well, prices would be drastically different than what they are now. There's such a thing as market fluctuations, dude. The last clump of grey NWCs to hit eBay went exponentially higher than they had been in the past five or so years; what makes you think that this wouldn't apply to the gold cart as well? All your asinine posts about its "real" value amount to you trying to justify being cheap when trying to acquire the most extravagant of NES games.
    Wow good attitude here we have.

If it is something "asinine" that are your statements without any support at all.

If you could think before posting you would understand that yeah,prices fluctuate but that FACT they were in the same range over 5 or more years is a clear sign to be factored in when your trying to buy a NWC gold cart.

More,prices can fluctuate going DOWN,like the last NWC gold cart sold on ebay that went for LESS than previous ones.

IF you also could follow correctly ebay auctions you would just grasp that REAL value of grey carts stayed about the same:some sellers tried to speculate and charge $3500 or more for it but most of them went unsold,like the last one for $4300.
    And note that normal price of $1500-2500+ for them is still a good reference if you want to buy one and not get screwed.

Also,you forget to see that when your talking about $6000 or even more price tag,possible buyers will be very very few and you can bet,those buyers are expert collectors who know how much the cart is worth.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. the "real" value of it isnt more than $2 or so hehe. Talking production costs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I tell you what you get me this list of these 26 gold nwc owners and you can have my copy for free. Hell you can have my entire collection. Not a list of people who once had them a list of people who have it now in their hands.

All 26 nwcs did not all survive. More may turn up, yes it is possible, but as of this very minute there are less than 10 known collectors who can sell you one.

In the past few years....
    Peek a boo poker went from 75-100 up to 400-500
    Stadium Events went from 200-300 up to 700+
    Sealed Cheetahman II went from 100-200 up to 500
    Grey NWC went from 1500 up to 3-4k

But a gold nwc is worth EXACTLY the same as it was back then? Thats fine. If thats what you want to hear. It is still worth the same as it was worth back then. Now go find one.

You can make this arguement very easy. Go buy a NWC for 4k and come back and show us. Its not impossible. But if you pull that off you are buying a game under what I believe is fair market value.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tell you what you get me this list of these 26 gold nwc owners and you can have my copy for free. Hell you can have my entire collection. Not a list of people who once had them a list of people who have it now in their hands.

All 26 nwcs did not all survive. More may turn up, yes it is possible, but as of this very minute there are less than 10 known collectors who can sell you one.

In the past few years....
    Peek a boo poker went from 75-100 up to 400-500
    Stadium Events went from 200-300 up to 700+
    Sealed Cheetahman II went from 100-200 up to 500
    Grey NWC went from 1500 up to 3-4k

But a gold nwc is worth EXACTLY the same as it was back then? Thats fine. If thats what you want to hear. It is still worth the same as it was worth back then. Now go find one.

You can make this arguement very easy. Go buy a NWC for 4k and come back and show us. Its not impossible. But if you pull that off you are buying a game under what I believe is fair market value.
    To be specific(but already wrote the exact same thing):

1)NEVER said I 'm able to buy one gold cart for $4000.
    Clearly stated that,yes the price can fluctuate and go down or up to a certain EXTENT, and that's what more likely will happen next time one will be for sale.
    I.e.,more than $5000,perhaps $7000 or little more but very very unlikely that will fetch $10000 or so,given an established price range over "several" years.

2)grey carts:ONE sold for about $3000 (overpriced OF COUSE) and IMMEDIATELY others popped up on ebay and went UNsold.
    Clear and simple.
    Regular price for that cart is lower than tthat or your being ripped off(probably little more thna $2000 but if you are lucky you can get it for less).
    I guess it is just easy and safe to see what one wants to see.

3) Again known collectors on THIS board or by you,but that still doesn't mean anything against offical numbers we have about gold carts.
    They were a prize and it is extremely unlikely they got thrown away or trashed.
    They are out there and you can bet almost all are totally well preserved.

Nonetheless if you need money for your needs,hope for you you find someone ready to pay what you ask for.
    That won't affect the price of the next gold cart that will pop up on ebay in the future, that won't reach the figures you mentioned but will be sold for a way more realistic price.

One thing is to pay $2000 or even $3000+.
    A totally different matter if to go from $4000-5000 up to $10000+ when you know what all the others owners paid for the very same thing.

I'm done here and thanks anwya to all,expert collectors like Rob and Dreamtr and potential rapacious sellers like Buyatari(NO offence intended)
    It was fun and useful for my possible purchase of the cart from a legit owner I located that is NOT on this board like I already mentioned nor accounted for by any online archive.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ONE sold for about $3000 (overpriced OF COUSE) and IMMEDIATELY others popped up on ebay and went UNsold.
    Your right that many other copies poped up after the first was sold. But what i recall 2-3 copies were BINed fast after the first copy was sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Your right that many other copies poped up after the first was sold. But what i recall 2-3 copies were BINed fast after the first copy was sold.
    I'm in the market for one in nice shape. 3k is no problem with me.

Sivarto, I am not a rookie at this. I base everything I've said from personal experience. I bought my gold nwc before most people even knew what it was. I do know what I am talking about. Don't assume I don't know about your seller or only know what is posted on DP. I don't know exactly how many collectors have the NWC because I never cared that much but I know there are less than 10. Just as a driver in a car is aware of roughly how many other cars are around him without counting.

There are not 26 because someone already contacted each and every one of the original owners YEARS AGO and well thats how he had 6 at one time. Some were thrown out , some people moved and lost them. Thats not speculation. When you call the owner up and get it right from him then thats fact. No one knew it was a valuable treasure. It was just an old NES game. Sure one or two more of these "lost" NWC carts could pop up but thats chance. There will never be 20 NWC owners again.

I am not a seller either I am a buyer. I don't care what the current market value is. I won't sell for a long time. This is THE holy grail of all video game collecting. It will always go up.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THE holy grail of all video game collecting?

There's stuff way rarer than that

Just 1 example:Rockman/Megaman 4 Famicom Gold Cart...8 copies in existence,3 times less than Gold NWC...

Maybe it's the holy grail of US video game collecting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dodonpachi Campaign Version PCB. Only ONE in existence, and will never be for sale, and never be dumped to ROM.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Dodonpachi Campaign Version PCB. Only ONE in existence, and will never be for sale, and never be dumped to ROM.
    According to this site 100 were made.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is THE holy grail of all video game collecting. It will always go up.
    Just to say that it may be the holy grail of NES collectors and that's it.

Most, if not all of the other collectors collecting videogames for other systems(pc engine,neo geo and so on) simply don't even know or care about those loose carts we are talking about.
    Keep also in mind these carts only appeal to US NES collectors,not really videogame collectors worldwide.

As a side note Buyatari,I perfectly remember you winning the auction 2 or 3 years ago of the gold cart and still remember the condition of it.
    Reason why I passed at the time.

Anyway as said,good luck when you will be on the market to sell it,hopefully your investment of $3000+ will turn out to be a very good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

As a side note Buyatari,I perfectly remember you winning the auction 2 or 3 years ago of the gold cart and still remember the condition of it.
    no you don't. I didn't buy mine on eBay.

No its the Holy Grail of ALL video game collecting. Some rare title no one ever heard of for an obscure overseas system will never stand up to the NWC over the long haul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No its the Holy Grail of ALL video game collecting. Some rare title no one ever heard of for an obscure overseas system will never stand up to the NWC over the long haul.
    I'd have to agree with Buyatari on this one. I think that the gold NWC is the holy grail of video game collecting simply because it is (well, I think it is) more desirable than any other grail.
    See the thing is, I've never even heard of the grails that Adol and GaijinPunch were talking about, but I think that everybody's heard of a gold NWC, which makes the market (and therefore, the selling price) for it much more than anything else.
    But, I am probably biased, as I am a NES collector.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sivarto: We need to clarify some stuff. There has not been a gold cart on eBay for quite some time. If there was, it was probably player2gameexchange selling it, but IIRC, he only has been selling Gray Carts. The multitude of gray carts these past few years can be attributed to the artcile in Nintendo Power, and the value raising enough for people to want to purchase the things.

I purchased one gold cart from eBay for $1877 back in 2001. I got the rest from other outside sources.

Adol: Rarity and demand are completely different in terms of gauging value. If there are 3 Kizuna Encounters, 8 Famicom Gold carts of Mega Man 4, or limited SFC or PC Engine Duo items, they may be vaunted in Japan, but $10-15K? It's the holy grail for NES collectors for certain.

Adol, I know you don't like prototypes, but you yourself have mentioned one of a kind items, and I have tons of one of a kind items that do not have the same value as the NWCs I own.

I was in the tournament, it's very important to me. Unreleased prototypes are not as important, as a "favor" for helping me get most of the gold NWCS in the first place, I traded one for an unreleased NES proto straight up.

Regardless, I don't think $8000 is too far off these days based on the rarity of the golds..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no you don't. I didn't buy mine on eBay.

Thought was you the one who got the last one on ebay in low condition for something more than $3000(last actual selling price for NWC gold carts)

Sorry to burst your bubble and little investment Buyatari but now you are just showing how biased you are:

welcome to globalization.

Holy grails are for all videogame collectors wolrdwide and not just for US collectors.
    Most of the collectors around the world don't care at all about NWC carts for quite a good number of reasons.
    One of the main being those carts appeal only to people who,like Dreamtr,were part of the tournamet or lived the hype back in the days...as you can see a very small fraction of the whole videogame collecting world.
    Other reasons ca be found easy.

Also,you can go on and tell the world that there are 8 or 10 of them but truth is,not 1 or 2 like you admit but more gold carts are out there,sure thing(reflecting the official info we have on the gold cart).
    Maybe not all 26 survived but you can bet at least 20+ are around and will surface sooner or later,especially due for people like you,trying to cash in.

I quite agree with your post and price range DreamTR.
    If a MINT conditioned NWC cart was to surface on ebay,it "could" fectch $7000 or probably even $8000 but still would be a rare case since in my opinion the final price would be lower on a pubblic auction with no shill bidding.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"obscure oversea system"...like the neo geo to say one.
    neo-geo.com message board has almost as many registeed members as this message board and it is dedicated to ONLY ONE system! *and this board is,on the other hand,dedicated to multiple machines*

What about nec or sega collectors? They have their own holy grails that can and probably will fectch as much or even more money than NWC carts.

Also,keep in mind gold cart are not an officlal released games but a prize for a specific contest and not appealing to collectors who are trying to get a complete collection for thier favorite system and just don't care about "weird or unseen" things or prizes or prototypes.
    That's the reason why mint copies of metal slug 1 have sold for more money than some NWC gold carts and that's the reason why games like darxide for sega 32 are getting more and more potential buyers:they were all offcially released games and for that reason,they are part of a complete collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Sorry to burst your bubble and little investment Buyatari but now you are just showing how biased you are:
    You just pull numbers out of the air. I can back it with an argument. Its not a bias its a logical statement based on years of study of not only video games but every hobby I could find going back to when people first starting collecting the first collectable, the coin.

NWC is the rarest cart you will ever find with this type of demand. Most grails would be the price of common carts if 100 more popped up tomorrow. Pass out 100 or 200 or 500 more NWC and it would STILL be a holy grail. Meaning the greatest collectable item in the collection of most people who owned it. Thats my basis not bias. If this hobby ever takes off will these new collectors care about titles they can't pronounce for systems they never heard of ?

My statement is based not on how things were or even how they are now but how they will be. The NWC will be the single most valuable, most desired video game collectable game in all of video game collecting. It is this belief which led me to buy my NWC and the same belief which led me to turn down all offers. I don't feel this way because I own it. I own it because I feel this way. If there were a better canidate for holy grail of all video games I would have bought that one instead.

There are less than 10 gold NWC in collectors hands. Thats not a bias that is a fact. You think the rest will all turn up and thats nothing more than wishful thinking. I can't say its impossible but you are better off playing the lottery.

So tell me this sivarto if the NWC is not the holy grail of all video game what do you think is?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Sivarto's kinda outta his league here. You can talk all you want, but I've seen buyatari's and Dtr's golds in person. I've discussed with them about the deals made and what have you. They know what they're talking about; you really don't.