Thread: Wow, eBay scammers are getting better.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Wow, eBay scammers are getting better.

I just got an email at my main Paypal email (the one I use to access my Paypal account). This was, for all intents and purposes, one of those trick emails which try to make you click on a link so you'll give them your username and password by accident. The email was made to look like a legitimate question by an eBay user.

I thought, "WTF?" I have two email addresses set up for eBay: One's for Paypal, and the other one is to receive any sort of mail from them (listing and sale notifications, questions, announcements and such). Getting a question at my Paypal address sets off a red flag.

Well, I get them a lot, but they usually get caught by the spam filter. Not this time, though.

See, normally I get "Hello! I want to buy your item! Please contact me yadda yadda" messages. But this time? The spoofed email actually contained information regarding one of my currently-running auctions. Said information was correct: it had the title of the auction and the item number. I normally get random auction titles and numbers, so this really surprised me.

I suggest you add member@ebey.com to your block list, just in case. I've forwarded the email to eBay's spoof department. Just thought I'd let you guys know about this so you're prepared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, i got one of those not long ago. It also had my full freaking name in it also Wonder how they manage to get that. The url also looked real, it was like w_ww.paypal.com.somethinghere.com, really wierd stuff (used underline in it so it wont be clickable).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting... I haven't seen that one yet, but I'm sure it's working wonders. Thanks for the heads up!
    ________
    Lamborghini 350Gtv Specifications
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stick to a simple rule - never open any ebay or paypal emails, I do it all through ebay's messaging center.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received an email from a seller not too long ago that seemed like a normal seller communication. It said something like "thanks for the purchase, your item shipped today". Below his message was what appeared to be a typical eBay end of auction notice as if he was responding to an email.

I felt that something was up because I hadn't ordered anything lately. I went to ebay.com and entered the auction number in the email and it was for a legitimate auction but wasn't one that I had bid on. It was a sweater or something.

I never clicked on a link in the email thinking it was a scam and never received the sweater.

I agree that the scammers are getting much better.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im using the ebay toolbar when I open ebay messages, so if its a non ebay site, the account guard button will be red.

Ive not had this type of scam email though, thanks for the heads up Kitsune Sniper!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(shrug)

I get about 10 of these ebay/paypal messages every day.

I ignore them.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!