Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbeleivable deal on monster cables game/home theater setup

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unbeleivable deal on monster cables game/home theater setup

I'm not one of those monster cable addict, but anyone has to admit that this is a VERY VERY good deal. Care of bens bargains.

http://www.hardwarecooling.com/produ...=700&htclick=1
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me hip you to something for future refrence:

High Grade Video Cables = total waste of money. Infact, do you know what I use for component cables? I don't use some real expensive gold connector red, green and blue cables, I use cheapo, generic, yellow, red and white audio/video cables, like any old crappy cables that come standard with a $24.99 DVD player. You just have to make sure that you put the right color on the right color, and you're cool. I put yellow on green, white on blue and red on red, on both sides, and it's all gravy. Don't buy into the Monster Cable shit, it's all a scam.

High Grade Audio Cables = total waste of money. There are actually Monster optical audio cables if you can believe it!!! They sell them for huge $$$ too, and they are totally worthless, because you don't get any difference in sound whatsoever from a $10 PS2 optical cable to a $50 Monster platnium optical cable. Supposedly you get less dropouts with the Monster, but I've had no problems whatsoever with dirt cheap optical cables. Sound is exactly the same. Same thing with digital coaxial cables as well. In fact, with coax inputs, I just use a regular old red and white audio cable, and just use the red end on both sides. Works fine with no problem. Subwoofer cables are the same thing. If you have a really long red and white audio cable, just use that, split it down the middle and use a coupler and you have an extra long subwoofer cable that will work absolutely fine.

ALL OF THIS HIGH GRADE CABLE STUFF IS THE BIGGEST CROCK OF SHIT IN THE WORLD.

Now, having said all of that..... There is something that can be improved with better cables, and that is speaker wire. It would be ideal if you have 14 guage or lower speaker wire, but even then, Home Depot 12 guage speaker wire would be just fine. No need to pay super high $$$ for your speaker wire either, just make sure it's like 12 guage or 14 guage and you're cool.

I will say that there are some slight improvements that can be made with one of the better S-Video connectors, and if you have a analog CD player that has really good audio output, sometimes it would be good to use a high quality red and white audio cable with it, but for the most part, all of this is just incredible amounts of wasted money. If you want to improve your video and audio signals, my suggestion would be to buy super cheap cables, or use the ones that come free with DVD players and VCR's and stuff like that, and with all the money you save on that, if you really want to try to improve something, then try a line conditioner for your power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$30 for that much cable even by an extremely cheapo brand would be a good deal, add in the colord coding, and higher manufacturing quality, and whether it actually SOUNDS better is completely void and null. I use cheap cables on everything, and when they start to fall aprat after plugging and unplugging them a few times, it gets annoying.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    ... when they start to fall aprat after plugging and unplugging them a few times, it gets annoying.
    I use cheap cables - I've never had that happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same cheap composite cables is were it's at!
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

$30 for that much cable even by an extremely cheapo brand would be a good deal, add in the colord coding, and higher manufacturing quality, and whether it actually SOUNDS better is completely void and null. I use cheap cables on everything, and when they start to fall aprat after plugging and unplugging them a few times, it gets annoying.
    While i think you're abusing your cables if the ends are coming off, you are right about one thing. That's a shit load of cable for an incredibly low price. Plus it's monster so you will have good quality cables to boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

From my tv to the component switchbox, I use composite cables as well. The cheapest real component cable I was able to find locally was $20. Pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be purchasing a Samsung DLP TV soon, so component cables are going to be needed. I'm planning on getting the offical cables from MS and Sony for that. I've heard monster cables make little to no difference in the quality of the picture and/or sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's much like the high end stereo stuff vs. just the average... to those who don't understand what the diffrences are, its hard to notice them.

For me, mp3's burned from a 192 kb source as opposed to a 128 kb source have a huge diffrence, but yet to some freinds of mine, there is non, but they do not notice the missing higher notes.

Is it worth the extra price for that little bit more? Thats up to you really... if you are casual... no. If you're an audio/visual freak, yes.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm vaguely curious, Anthony1, did you even look at the item before you typed up a manifesto? Whether or not you believe in "high grade" cables or not (which, btw, nik has the right answer: most people won't notice/care of the difference, but it is there), the price is good for a whole heck of a lot cabling.

Additional 10 ft. Monster® subwoofer cable for non—powered or passive subwoofers.
    All the right lengths of high performance speaker cable: 20 ft. front, 10 ft. center, and 35 ft. rear.
    High performance 8 ft. component video cable for improved home theater performance.
    If you just need a little bit of it, then it's not so good... but for a beginner needing everything, it's not bad.

That said, it's sold cheaper on eBay (reputable dealers).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Monster Cable makes a difference if you are serious about your set-up. Don't listen to naysayers like our own Anthony1. Do a little research (unlike little Anthony1) and not only has Monster won tons of awards over the last 25 years in the buisness they are recommended and used in reviewer system set-ups. There are plenty of websites and magazines that have done tests and agree than Monster provides better audio/video period. So if they were no better than the cheap freebie cables why would experts use them? Anthony1 is clearly no expert.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok... so wait.. wtf. are you guys saying i can just plug my normal composite video ps2 hook ups into the component video on a tv, and it will work? no need for the more expensive component cables??
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    ok... so wait.. wtf. are you guys saying i can just plug my normal composite video ps2 hook ups into the component video on a tv, and it will work? no need for the more expensive component cables??
    no, you need componant cables, he's just talking name brand(heavy grade wire, reinforced etc) vs. el cheap-o no name brand (thin wire, is "good enough")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

no, you need componant cables, he's just talking name brand(heavy grade wire, reinforced etc) vs. el cheap-o no name brand (thin wire, is "good enough")

The diffrence in the wires itself are the number of outlets, one for each color band, so less bleeding.. sharper.. etc.

Read up on this stuff, don't belive forum posts, or "guess".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik

The diffrence in the wires itself are the number of outlets, one for each color band, so less bleeding.. sharper.. etc.

No, he's saying using normal composite type rca a/v cables to connect to component jacks on each end. It works fine, but the cables are usually so small, badly shielded, and cheap, it's not overly worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, he's saying using normal composite type rca a/v cables to connect to component jacks on each end. It works fine, but the cables are usually so small, badly shielded, and cheap, it's not overly worth it.
    It won't display in 480 or anything else though, will it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's much like the high end stereo stuff vs. just the average... to those who don't understand what the diffrences are, its hard to notice them.
    That's my favorite defense regarding a/v cables. While there IS a difference over longer runs (lower impedance and such on the stuff you pay stupid amounts of money for), shorter distance cables (like the kind you need to hook up a console/dvd player/dvr box/whatever to a tv) from generic companies are every bit as good as the "high end stuff".

Audiophiles are funny.

For me, mp3's burned from a 192 kb source as opposed to a 128 kb source have a huge diffrence, but yet to some freinds of mine, there is non, but they do not notice the missing higher notes.
    That's not even a really valid comparison. That's like comparing a gif vs a png of a photograph.

With the cables in question, it's more like comparing a normal PS2 game vs a Greatest Hits PS2 game. Sure, it might not come in as pretty of a box, but you get the exact same end result for cheaper.

Is it worth the extra price for that little bit more? Thats up to you really... if you are casual... no. If you're an audio/visual freak, yes.
    More like, "no, it's not worth the extra price. ever."

Seriously, A/V freaks suffer from the worse case of the placebo effect I've ever seen. But hey, don't take my word for it. do a little research for yourself. If you want to keep pissing away your money on name brands then knock yourself out.

edit - I really like the way Monster cables really grip the fuck out of your inputs/outputs! Thank god I don't have to disconnect/reconnect them too often, because every time I do it feels like they're going to rip them right out of my god damn tv.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For an analogue signal the amount of shielding and "quality" of the cable probably has some effect, although in my experience the difference is not noticable, and the further the signal is split up (i.e. 2 lines for s-video and 3 lines for component/rgb), the less the cable shielding is necessary. Of course any RCA cable can be used to hook two RCA jacks together, the color makes no difference.

The stupidest thing has to be these heavily shielded optical audio cables. I thought these carried a digital signal, so they shouldn't be as affected by interference. In addition, what sort of interference would hurt an optical signal. A really bright lightbulb?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess the big question is: is this "Hardware Cooling" website going to rip me off or not?
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I try to load the link - it goes to a 404 error - strange.

But Monster Cables are the biggest scam since those "I am the deposed price of Nigeria" emails. I have Monster 1/8th inch minijack to dual RCA cable that I was given by a Monster rep. it is a well made cable - to be sure, but am I some how supposed to believe that the electrons flow quciker through name brand copper? The "Monster Digital" series is even better. Does it make the 1s and 0s cleaner? Many A/V type stores have stopped selling regular cables, because the profit margin on the Monster ones is obcene. A shielded cable is a shielded cable.