Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unbeleivable deal on monster cables game/home theater setup

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik

Is it worth the extra price for that little bit more? Thats up to you really... if you are casual... no. If you're an audio/visual freak, yes.

Wrong. I'm an audio/visual freak, and I can tell you that the high end cables are pretty much worthless. High end speaker cable is actually somewhat worth the price, but generic 12 guage or 14 guage will work fine too. I'm hardcore into my audio and video, and if there really was a substantial improvement, then I would spend the $$ for sure. Back in the old S-Video days, I did get a Monster S-Video cable that was a slight improvement, but even then it was nowhere worth the huge premium in price. As for component and all that other stuff, I'm telling you, you are throwing your money down the drain. Sure for Xbox 360, it has a proprietary plug, so you have to buy the 360 component cables, but for things like DVD players and stuff like that, just use any old cable and plug them into the same colors on both ends.

If you really want to spend money on something rather unnecessary, then I would get a line conditioner. A power conditioner. They can cost huge $$$, but they will help your pictures and sounds much better than any improvement in cables. Of course, you won't see me buying any line conditioner, I would rather put that extra money into acoustical treatments.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    Monster Cable makes a difference if you are serious about your set-up. Don't listen to naysayers like our own Anthony1. Do a little research (unlike little Anthony1) and not only has Monster won tons of awards over the last 25 years in the buisness they are recommended and used in reviewer system set-ups. There are plenty of websites and magazines that have done tests and agree than Monster provides better audio/video period. So if they were no better than the cheap freebie cables why would experts use them? Anthony1 is clearly no expert.

Man, you've been played x_x

No wonder 3com Park, formerly Candlestick Park, is now known as Monster Park. (Monster Cable has the naming rights to the home of the 49ers) There are enough sheep that believe these cables actually mean something, it's so amazing to me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    look at me I can type!
    Wow buddy, relax. I wasn't defending nor attacking the subject, just offering my point of view.

I've used regular cables, and monster ones, to me it doesn't matter, to others it might, get a helmet guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    more total garbage
    Same with you, relax guys, its just fucking cable, people who might throw money away on name brand stuff might be stupid to you, but good god, seems you take it far more serious then they ever will.

I guess I'm just glad I have better things to do with life then get hot under the collor from talking about wires, even though I, nor you know jack shit about them other then you own opinions.

For the $, that package is decent, name brand or not, those wires work, and for all those in that package for that price, I'd pick it up, I don't have time to whine about 30$, total waste of time to scrimp and save and bitch about anything that costs less then 100$.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look, I apologize if I'm come off as a total ass, in my disregard for high end cables, but at one time I was actually a Monster believer. I still think their speaker wire is very good, although much more pricey than necessary. If you have something that uses a S-Video cable and you are trying to get the best quality, you can get a little bit of an improvement from the Gold series S-Video cables, I know cause I have one.

But for the most part, the whole cable thing is a scam. Back in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001, if somebody said that Monster Cable was a complete scam and wasn't worth crap, I would have took offense to it very much so. But over the last few years, I've come to the understanding that it's a total scam (for the most part), and it's nothing against people who want to spend $$$ on high end cable, it's just that for most people on a budget, we must be very wise where we allocate those dollars.

Now if somebody is filthy rich, then sure, go ahead and get some Monster Cables or go to BetterCables.com . Certainly these expensive cables aren't crap, but to really notice any improvements you would have to have the hearing of a dog, and the eyesight of an owl or spider or something! he he.

Again, better speaker wire is legit, but for anything other than S-Video and for any of the audio cables, it's all a bunch of crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Understandable, it's the same with me, I'm not interested in buying monster at full retail.. but if I get the chance to buy some for the same price of the cheaper stuff, I will.

I won't buy cable because of name brand, and the fact my TV is performing just fine with the stock xbox 360 wires, and the DVD player with its own wires, but that package is a pretty decent deal if you think about it.. if I just bought some home theatre stuff, and a new TV, dvd player, I'd grab it just for back up, since usually the stock spreakers never have enough wire length as it is!

Chances I'll have a home theatre worthy of super expensive wires? nil. I just bought a house, paid off my 50 inch LCD, brand new couches, and have 2 cars to take care of, and a kid on the way fairly soon.

I'll get a set up, but nothing massive, I guess its all about your previous experiences, mine with monster is but 1, an XboX componant cable, and it performed well!

Gold series I've heard is great as well, and if both were on the shelf, I'd probably grab the Gold, since it would be for a much fairer price.

On a side note, I'll never ever understand why Car audio freaks get wires that start to look like the size of my cats tail, I like car audio as well, and would get decent shielded wire, but holy god, you could knock someones block off with that crap.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

OT, but I always thought that Monster Park was named after Monster.com. I'm pretty surprised that the Monster Cable Co. has that kind of cabbage.

I've never gotten into high end AV shit, but based on the knowledge that I have, I don't see why Brand X shielded AV cables would be any worse than Monster brand shielded cables, provided that the wire was the same gauge. I think that the big selling point for me would be the increase in the quality of the cable itself, meaning how well it is put together and will therfore last if repeatedly plugged and unplugged.

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    OT, but I always thought that Monster Park was named after Monster.com. I'm pretty surprised that the Monster Cable Co. has that kind of cabbage.

I've never gotten into high end AV shit, but based on the knowledge that I have, I don't see why Brand X shielded AV cables would be any worse than Monster brand shielded cables, provided that the wire was the same gauge. I think that the big selling point for me would be the increase in the quality of the cable itself, meaning how well it is put together and will therfore last if repeatedly plugged and unplugged.

Chris
    This was kinda my point, as I said in the first post, I'm not a monster-o-holic, but items that are built better LAST longer, not necessarily WORK better.

If I buy a $5 alarm clock, and a $50 alarm clock, it's a pretty damned safe bet that, while both will wake me up in the morning perfectly fine, the $10 one probably won't last long after I smack the snooze button 20 times.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

The reason some car audiophiles use insanely large wires is that they are generally putting more power into subs than a normal HT setup. If your running a 1500 watt RMS amp on anything smaller than 2 gauge power and ground your wires can and will melt the plastic shielding. It's not fun when well hidden wires overheat because of their inadequate size and you have 100-150 amps arcing against the frame of your vehicle below carpet while your driving down the road. Only so much amperage can fit through a set thickness of aluminum/copper wiring.

Now with monster cables, I thought it was a well known fact that the components have no significant improvement over Sony/MS cables.