Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32X power displayed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 32X power displayed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZktLH_iCyA

Don't know if this is a repost, but freaking sega, why'd you drop the ball on this thing..

Suddenly I have more respect for that little add-on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um, blimey!

I didn't realise the 32X could do things like that. Very impressive. Now why wasn't that power used?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There were games released that used most of the stuff seen in that demo. Not much using textures, but they look horrible even in the demo. Metal Head uses textures, though, and I think Darxide does, too. I don't think any games used the fake lens flare effect, but that's not really anything impressive anyway since I assume it's being done in software.

The 32X didn't need more games using more impressive hardware tricks, it needed more games that were fun to play.

I like how the last two minutes of that video are just the VHS tape running a blank screen and then ending. Did the guy encoding it fall asleep or something?

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, it looks like a tech demo for the Saturn.

I'm impressed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That video has been floating around for a while now but it's still great to see it again. The 32x had a lot more potential than we ever saw... this video was an *early* tech display. Given a few years, the 32x might have really displayed some impressive power (*early* Saturn/PSone?) and pushed some of that fog back. That segment with the gray hallways looks a bit like the 32x X-Men proto. The last section in the desert with the buildings was eventually ported over to the Saturn in the form of A.M.O.K.

Good stuff, man, good stuff!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 32X power displayed...

Quote Originally Posted by nik
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZktLH_iCyA

Don't know if this is a repost, but freaking sega, why'd you drop the ball on this thing..
    Yes, I posted a link to the video (without Youtube) in the "Underutilisation of the SNES" thread two days ago. ;-9

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'd have been more impressed if the video wasn't only of the TV screen. Sure, the 32x may have been able to do that, but i didn't see the 32x this demo was running on, if there was a 32x it was running on, considering the last minute or so of the video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I'd have been more impressed if the video wasn't only of the TV screen. Sure, the 32x may have been able to do that, but i didn't see the 32x this demo was running on, if there was a 32x it was running on, considering the last minute or so of the video.
    I don't get this...

Why would someone waste their time producing somthing like this just so you can think its true, why bother fabricating a lie and go though all this trouble.

I'll never understand the thought process of someone who just does not think anything is true, and that the whole world is some massive conspiracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's definitely the 32X (I have that video on my site, without the 2 minutes or so of black screen). You need to remember that this was the 32X with most features turned on, doing simple things. Had there been sprites and other stuff going on, it probably wouldn't have looked as good. Moreover, the 32X had immense untapped potential, compared to what we saw, due to its life span being cut so short. Had it been allowed to stay alive for a few years, we would have seen some great stuff. Heck, Darxide has more features turned on and is prettier than a lot of the 1st year Saturn stuff that was released around the same time.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I like how the second to last (or was it last?) demo had the word Lemon at the beginning.

Sega knew even then.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    That segment with the gray hallways looks a bit like the 32x X-Men proto.
    It sure does. X-men certainly was one the best looking games I ever saw done on 32X hardware. Some games using 'more advanced' effects like that were in development (heavy machinery, virtual hampster, scottish open golf and a LOT of games that ended up on the Saturn).

The early 'track' bit with the SH2 tag looks better than Race Drivin on the Saturn! (which isn't hard, but still)

The textured & gouraud shading bit always reminds me of 'Ghen War' on the Saturn.

Stuff like Magic carpet and Descent could (and should) have been released as they would've worked quite a threat.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, that was pretty cool! wonder if lance has one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik
    Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I don't get this...

Why would someone waste their time producing somthing like this just so you can think its true, why bother fabricating a lie and go though all this trouble.
    Some people just don't have anything better to do, look at all of the guides to games on the internet..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Nice vid, now if I could just get that song out of my head

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the tip hero, I fiqured it was. +1 for you though

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pretty impressive! That fog was so CLOSE, though! Reminds me of any game where you are in the dark and need to use a flashlight and only the immediate few steps in front of you are visible.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I'm surprised, given the amount of programers making new games and prototypes for the old systems like the 2600 and Even for the Sega CD, that someone hasn't been unlocking the full potential for the 32X. And making new games accordingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn
    I'm surprised, given the amount of programers making new games and prototypes for the old systems like the 2600 and Even for the Sega CD, that someone hasn't been unlocking the full potential for the 32X. And making new games accordingly.
    I'm FACINATED with the possibility of a CD-based game that would fully utilize the 32x hardware, the Genny processors, the extra 16-bit CPU in the Sega CD, AND the special scaling/rotation chip in the Sega CD. Would that even be possible? Are all the functions of the 32x even available to a CD-based game? I don't see why not, but I'm no hardware expert. None of the 32xCD games push the 32x hardwrae to any extent whatsoever. A game that utilized ALL those processors might be able to duplicate (at least to some extent) Saturn and PSone games. It sounds like a programming nightmare, though. The two CPU's from the 32x, the two CPU's from the Genny and Sega CD, the extra processors from the Genny and Sega CD... you get the picture. That sounds like some damned difficult and tricky programming.

A 32xCD format would certainly be the cheapest way to produce a new game, but how many active enthusiasts actually own a 32x AND a Sega CD?

That being said, I'd buy any and all homebrew 32x games in a heartbeat, regardless of the format (or even the cost?)
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one thing I always thought the 32X needed is not more 3D intensive games, but more 2D intensive games. In short, the 32X needed some:

S

N

K

Seriously. Just imagine Samurai Shodown II on the 32X. They WERE releasing games on the SNES, Genesis, and Sega-CD so I see no reason why they couldn't just bring a wave of titles over on the 32X.

It would have been a match made in heaven. They could have done some 32X-CD releases too. Man that would have been great.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2