Thread: Complete NGPC games are HTF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Complete NGPC games are HTF?

I recently got into collecting for the Neo Geo Pocket Color and I got a helluva' "lot" on evilBay last week.Whenever I look for games I find next to no complete copies (as in with box or clamshell case, & manual). All I ever see for sale are the "new" ones with only the little cart case usually. There's a good variety out there (even the best titles), no doubt.. but I rarely see complete games.

Why is that? I know the NGPC never got a good foothold in the states.. but you hardly ever see other people selling their complete games from overseas either. Did it do that poorly world-wide? How long after the handheld's US release did they pull the line from the US? Just wondering..

On a side-note.. anybody know if an AC adapter for a plain Pocket would work on a Pocket Color?
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

When the Neo Geo Pocket was dropped, there were warehouses full of cart-only games that eventually found their way to be sold on ebay.

So now, cart only games are abundant and cheap, and games with the manuals and boxes are harder to find, since those tend to be the ones the collectors want.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    When the Neo Geo Pocket was dropped
    it broke LOL

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Speaking from experience of going after complete US games, it only took me about 4 years to put the 32 game collection together with finding a complete copy of Magical Drop Pocket taking up about the last 2 years of the search. I know other guys here who put together their collection had hard times getting other games (vectorman needed Turf Masters for a long time), but given some time all the games will show up.

If your trying to be specific about the games and actually just get the US releases, that alot of the copies that you can pick up cheap on eBay (those loose ones you were buying) are actually UK ones. Gameplay isnt different, the games themselves are still in english, they just arn't the American releases.

The game on the left in THIS pic is UK, while the game on the right is US. When ever you see that color bar (that little rainbow thinging) on a cart you know its UK, and when you don't see one, you know its US. The other give away is that there is the ESRB rating on the cart on the right, the other way to denote that its a US game.

For all intensive puposes every US game came in a cardboard case, not clamshells so keep that in mind as well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Default Re: Complete NGPC games are HTF?

Generally, complete NGPC games aren't common, but most can be founds with time and patience. Try finding some of them in the wild though, and you'll be out of luck.

And just so you know, Faselei! and The Last Blade US versions never had a box or manual produced for them. So loose is actually complete.

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    On a side-note.. anybody know if an AC adapter for a plain Pocket would work on a Pocket Color?
    I would check the voltage readings, but I'm pretty sure most of the SNK brand NGPC accessories are all only branded "Neo Geo Pocket." I'm almost 100% positive my US Link cable and AC Adapter don't say "Color" anywhere on them. The US never got a black/white NGP.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Game Boy Color AC adapter with mine. So I'm fairly sure a NGP AC will work on the color model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't speak for all regions, but it seems like in Asia I find more complete NGPC games than loose. No idea why that is...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ebay sucks for finding complete NGPC games, but if you go over to http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/ they regularly have complete games listed. I purchased many of the rarer games there.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

What you have to take into consideration is that not only were Neo Geo Pocket Color games on the US market for a limited time, and there is a wealth of loose carts out there that never had packaging to begin with, but I imagine Neo Geo Pocket Color games suffered from handheld packaging syndrome just like Game Boy. The boxes were cardboard and especially prone to damage and crushing, so they're practically begging people to throw them out. Sure, since the handheld was less mainstream than Game Boy I'm sure it attracted more of the sorts who'd be inclined to keep packaging, but when you could get one packaged with Sonic for just $60 and a few other games for cheap, I'm sure plenty of more casual gamers picked it up just on the basis of its price and the fact that the graphics often looked better than GBC games.

No matter how you slice it, people weren't as inclined to keep the boxes than they were with the Japanese/European clamshells.

But as others said, patience pays off and you'll find them in due time. Not to be an annoying self-promoter, but I do have a few complete US NGPC games for sale in the Buying & Selling forum if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually.. this is what I have so far (I sold my loose carts):

NEO GEO Pocket Color +7 Boxed Games LIKE NEW neogeo

..and I just got a UK clamshell copy of Biomotor Unitron today.

I'm kinda' considering unloading the Samurai Shodown 2 and the KOF R-2 copies because I'm just not into fighters that much. A complete UK copy of Faselei! has been one of my "holy grails" for years. This was a helluva' good deal if you asked me.. the Faselei was worth almost the BIN price alone.

I AM looking for a complete Neo Turf Masters as well.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The fighters for the system are really good. Hell pretty much everything is really good. Give em a whirl and see if you like em or not. Its not like they are sealed or if you play them you can't return them to the store.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I really like playing fighters on the NGPC. I generally don't play fighters much (partly because I suck badly), but with the simpler control schemes and the AMAZING d-pad on the NGPC, fighters are a blast to play and I can actually do half decent. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    I really like playing fighters on the NGPC. I generally don't play fighters much (partly because I suck badly), but with the simpler control schemes and the AMAZING d-pad on the NGPC, fighters are a blast to play and I can actually do half decent. :P
    OK guys.. you've convinced me. I'll give 'em all a try tonight; before I decide to sell them.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Metal Slug, Sonic, and the Card Clash games are pretty good for the system too.