Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread (OUT NOW!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Super Smash Bros. Brawl sells over 1.4 million since launch

Quote Originally Posted by arstechnica
    Nintendo has decided to share the US sales numbers for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and they are impressive. Since the game's release a week ago, the title has sold over 1.4 million units. On March 9 alone, the game sold 874,000 units. While we'll have to wait for next month's NPD numbers to know for sure, it seems to be a very safe assumption that Brawl will be the best-selling game of the month. It is already the fastest-selling game in Nintendo of America's history.

"Super Smash Bros. Brawl has made the leap from video game to cultural phenomenon," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Game reviewers and the public alike praise its fun game play and extensive, inventive content."

Super Smash Bros. Melee, the last game in the series, sold more than 7 million copies worldwide—a record Brawl is already well on its way to breaking. Nintendo hits another release well out of the park. Be sure to check out our review of the game, if you haven't already.

Spoiler Warning: We really liked it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the final boss was a bitch. Too many cheap one-hit kill guaranteed moves. I tried online play with some friends a town over, but it was really laggy. I wish Nintendo actually cared about online play. Also, why the hell did they stop making Wavebirds? I figured I'd pick one up when they got cheap, but instead of getting cheap the price went up. Does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap (<$30) Wavebird in good condition? That would be perfect for my Brawling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those having trouble with Tabuu, I've found DK's Up+B spin to do tons of damage to him. I took away half of his life on hard with just DK.

Ok, so I've only had the game (and a Wii) for two days, but I am a huge Melee fan. Here are my thoughts so far:

*I don't like the new announcer's voice.
    *The game feels like it has been slowed down a bit. I'm not sure yet if this is bad or good.
    *I think Zero Suit Samus is horrible, and that she was just added to make sure everyone knows Samus is female.
    *I don't understand why Mewtwo was knocked out for Lucario. The former is more recognizable in the franchise. Bad move, IMO. I'll also extend this to the substitution of Roy for Ike.
    *Was anyone really excited for Lucas? I can understand in Japan, but in the US? He's just another character to avoid using like Ness. They are bad characters simply because they have AWFUL recover moves.
    *I like the addition of Olimar, Wario, Meta Knight, Sonic, Pit, and Snake. That said, I think that Snake is too difficult to use effectively.
    *Did anyone notice that now Sheik does look like a woman? In OoT and Melee he/she didn't, but now he/she does.
    *Overall, it bothers me that they took out characters at all, with the exception of Pichu. Of course, I don't think that Ice Climbers should have ever been added.

I am pleased with the game, but it's not a huge leap from Melee, which I guess I was expecting. The original to Melee WAS a huge leap, this wasn't.
    Last edited by NinjaJoey23; 03-17-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was sorta concerned that Pit would suck as a SSB character... turns out he's my favorite to date. His sword spin slide is pure awesome for ravaging a cluster of opponents. When the slide finishes keep tapping the button and the sword keeps spinning and the comp keeps dying. His recovery is great too. Though he can't edge grapple his ^ + Special more than makes up for it. You can recover from getting up smashed with near 200% damage fairly consistently with a double jump with some glide and a final ^ + Special to reach the platform again. Also, I've noticed since it takes you awhile to get back in the others have pretty much forgotten about you and it ups the chance you can sword twirl a group of them for some post recovery vengeance.

I was more excited about Olimar, but I really suck at using him and the Pikmin to any means resembling effective. :/ Guess I need to take some time and figure him out. If anyone here is good with Olimar, let me know.

Yeah, I like this game a bit too much.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23 View Post
    For those having trouble with Tabuu, I've found DK's Up+B spin to do tons of damage to him. I took away half of his life on hard with just DK.

Ok, so I've only had the game (and a Wii) for two days, but I am a huge Melee fan. Here are my thoughts so far:

*I don't like the new announcer's voice.
    *The game feels like it has been slowed down a bit. I'm not sure yet if this is bad or good.
    *I think Zero Suit Samus is horrible, and that she was just added to make sure everyone knows Samus is female

*I don't understand why Mewtwo was knocked out for Lucario. The former is more recognizable in the franchise. Bad move, IMO. I'll also extend this to the substitution of Roy for Ike.
    *Was anyone really excited for Lucas? I can understand in Japan, but in the US? He's just another character to avoid using like Ness. They are bad characters simply because they have AWFUL recover moves.
    *I like the addition of Olimar, Wario, Meta Knight, Sonic, Pit, and Snake. That said, I think that Snake is too difficult to use effectively.
    *Did anyone notice that now Sheik does look like a woman? In OoT and Melee he/she didn't, but now he/she does.
    *Overall, it bothers me that they took out characters at all, with the exception of Pichu. Of course, I don't think that Ice Climbers should have ever been added.

I am pleased with the game, but it's not a huge leap from Melee, which I guess I was expecting. The original to Melee WAS a huge leap, this wasn't.
    I disagree fully about most of your points, mainly becaues I think this was just as big a leap from the original to melee as this is

Snake is easily one of the best characters in the game I find, he's just insanely good, as is Zero Suit Samus but I think this game has already surpassed melee in almost every way.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think NinjaJoey might be jumping the gun a little with his impressions. I know lots of people who can use Lucas, Snake, and Ness effectively, and Zero Suit Samus I think is fantastic. I was never a fan of using Samus in the previous games, but Zamus has great speed and great range and some sweet moves in general. Completely different character from Power Suit Samus. I wasn't really very excited about her when she was announced, but she won me over in a big way with the way she plays and handles that electric whip.

There's so much new here that makes it seem like such a progress from Melee. The roster being so huge, SSE mode, online play, the challenge trophies, final smashes, and so on. Going from the original game to Melee, they added events, trophies, and a bigger roster, but I think there's just as much gained from the second to the third game.

I think it takes more than two days to really take in everything that Brawl has to offer. I'm still discovering new things. I still have a lot of solo stuff to do between online battles. I have to get more characters through boss mode and all-star mode. I have to get the time trophies for the target test. I have to find more music tracks and stickers and trophies. And I haven't even really gotten a chance to learn the nuances of most of the new characters.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lucario is insanely popular in Japan, probably more so then any other pokemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I think it takes more than two days to really take in everything that Brawl has to offer.
    Then I'll play for a week, and see if my impressions change.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Code in sig, add me people heh... been enjoying plenty of online matches and kicking some arse as Metaknight and Kirby. Brother has been doing well (as usual) as Pikachu, the blooming electric rat heh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Grinding through the unlocks......some are a pain in the ass, some are just a grind (i.e. beat Classic with everyone, All-Star with everyone, 100-man Brawl with everyone, Boss Battles with everyone, Target Test level 1 thru 5 with everyone.......and you have to beat Classic as Pokemon Trainer 3 times, Samus twice, and Zelda twice for all the character trophies)

I'm proud of my legitimately earned Porky Statue trophy, and my SSE boss trophies (haven't been able to stomach going after Meta Ridley and Tabuu yet, since those are a pain in the ass even on Easy). I suffered through Classic 39 times to earn my Creeping Crysanthemum trophy, but I think I'll just use a hammer for Kyle Hyde (since it won't let me use the hammer on the 2 hardest challenges left, dammit!)

600 trophies and 642 stickers. Almost there on the stickers. Collected most of the songs in a few hours thanks to this wonderful invention:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHlDWN1B198

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I just have to say that I think this game is great and nintendo really catered to the hardcore and casual gamers everywhere. I think there this is even for collectors as well. Have you noticed that there are lists of every game made for a nintendo system in the options menus? you unlock titles as you play but what exactly do you need to do to unlock more games in that list? does it kinda just unlock different titles by playing more?
    Games are added to the Chronicle by collecting trophies and stickers. i.e. Tiny Wario sticker = Virtual Boy Wario Land added, collect all Wind Waker trophies = Wind Waker added. I finished Virtual Boy first, Game & Watch a while later, and that's all so far.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was anyone really excited for Lucas? I can understand in Japan, but in the US? He's just another character to avoid using like Ness. They are bad characters simply because they have AWFUL recover moves.
    A.) I knew a lot of people who were tournament capable with Ness in the last two games, and I don't see how anything has really changed.

B.) Although your recovery options with Ness and Lucas are somewhat limited, I think it's important to point out that not only do their ^+b moves deal more damage than maybe any other in the game (if you can body slam your opponent) but, thanks to Lucas' rope snake, he actually has TWO recovery options. Stuck between two walls and can't use ^+b? Lash onto the edge with the snake!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

An observation and a question for the truly Nintendo-obsessed out there:

Anyone notice that All-Star mode is not only by series, but chronological, sort of? I thought this was a nice touch, even if it means you fight everyone in the same order every damn time....

1980: Game & Watch
    1981: Donkey Kong
    1985: Ice Climber
    1985: Gyromite
    1986: Legend Of Zelda
    1987: Metroid
    1987: Kid Icarus
    1987: Metal Gear
    1989: Mother
    1990: Fire Emblem
    1990: Super Mario World
    1990: F-Zero
    1991; Sonic the Hedgehog
    1992: Kirby's Dream Land
    1993: Starfox
    1992: Super Mario Land 2 (they must be counting Wario Land as Wario's debut)
    1995: Pokemon Red/Green
    2001: Pikmin

Also, I need help identifying 2 songs in the Famicom Medley.

song here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5jUEnDS4Q0M

I've got:
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Wrecking Crew
    Excitebike
    Punch-Out!!
    ?????????
    Devil World
    Punch-Out!!
    Joy Mecha Fight
    Duck Hunt
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    ?????????
    Urban Champion

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    ?????????
    Urban Champion
    I don't know what it is myself, but damn if it's not a awesome-sounding clip.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hadn't noticed that about the chronological order of all-star mode. That's pretty sweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also love the music in this game. So much better than Melee - pretty much every track in any game that you would want is in here. I also like the balance in Brawl, because in Melee there were some characters that just sucked (i.e. Pichu). Now it seems that all characters at least have a chance. Anyway, time to get cracking on that CD factory. Are there 600 trophies in total? The trophy game is actually quite addictive.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm online now ... 9:40 (Eastern Time) hosting a currently empty game! Come play!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    A.) I knew a lot of people who were tournament capable with Ness in the last two games, and I don't see how anything has really changed.

B.) Although your recovery options with Ness and Lucas are somewhat limited, I think it's important to point out that not only do their ^+b moves deal more damage than maybe any other in the game (if you can body slam your opponent) but, thanks to Lucas' rope snake, he actually has TWO recovery options. Stuck between two walls and can't use ^+b? Lash onto the edge with the snake!
    Every character has people who can use them well. I'm not saying that there aren't people who can use Ness or Lucas. But, the truth is, they are bad at recovering. Ness' recover was bad in the last game, but now there are characters like Pit, Metaknight, and R.O.B. who have insane recovers. I think Ness has great attacks but is gimped b/c of his terrible recover ability.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Anybody else of the opinion that Ike is compltely over-powered in terms of ridiculously strong damage-dealing character-pushing attacks...

...or am I just crazy?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Anybody else of the opinion that Ike is compltely over-powered in terms of ridiculously strong damage-dealing character-pushing attacks...

...or am I just crazy?
    Maybe. That's why he's my favorite character.

Though, the offset being that he IS slow. I realized that when I tried to reach the 100-KO quotient in the Endless Brawl and I got gang-raped by five alloys while being unable to get my Smash attacks off. I went with Meta Knight instead and did that well enough. Yup, Ike, Meta Knight, and Pit are my trio of champions.

And now, a question: What's the fastest way to go about gaining coins for the Coin Launcher?
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Online server's hammered today. Damn.

One thing I like about that Waluigi trophy is that if a Smash Ball appears, he'll grab it for you.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?