Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy XIII

I know it's already been mentioned in the E3 thread, but it's worth its own thread. Of course, if it's anything like FFXII, it could take five years before we might actually be able to play it. :/ Well, hopefully not THAT long.

Anyway, here's what I've gathered about the game so far.

HD trailer for the game can be found here (60.6 MB):
    http://www.pixelrage.ro/downloads/Fi...iler/1115.html
    (Rename the file FF.avi to FF.wmv after you download it)

From that trailer, here are some screenshots so that you can see what's going on in the battle a little better:
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...13%20realtime/

Like, one of the characters is getting ready to do some command called "V strike," and it looks like all commands have an "ATB cost," which I would guess has to do with how much a character can do in a given turn, since all Final Fantasy fans are familiar with ATB.

Someone's already sprung up a website for following every little piece of news for the game here. http://ff-xiii.net/ Looks pretty nice so far.

The main character is a girl named "Lightning."

Anyway, the high-def trailer is really beautiful. Hopefully, the gameplay is as good as the graphics are.

EDIT: Check the thread below for more up-to-date footage and info.
    Last edited by Snapple; 04-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

making this thread now basically means that in 5 years, when the game comes out, and someone makes a thread about it, a mod will lock that thread and tell us to go discuss it 'at the existing thread' and point here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I am okay with that.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Yes its to early. We've not even gotten FF XII yet.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Agreed. I honestly thought it was silly of Square-Enix to even talk about FFXIII at this point. Get XII out of the way first.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've just been informed by a more computer-savvy person than I that the HD trailer has the wrong extension.

It's named .avi, but it's actually a .wmv file. So some players (like DivX player) might get thrown unless you rename the file from FF.avi to FF.wmv after you download it.

I've gotten it to run very smoothly in both DivX player and Media Player Classic after renaming the file, so there ya go.

Okay, maybe it is early, but isn't the HD trailer purty? Huh? Huh?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Exactly. There is no reason to talk about 13 yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, then I won't bump the thread again if nobody's interested.

I don't make that same connection of you have to wait until X game is out to talk about Y game though, for a couple of reasons.

First off, usually there's not any info on the sequel after the next one before the next one comes out. In this case, there is. Of course, it was pointless to talk about Diablo 3 before Diablo 2 came out, but that's because there was nothing on D3 before D2 was released, nor is there usually. This is a unique situation.

Also, I don't treat all Final Fantasies the same. Saying I can't think about FFXIII before FFXII is out, is like tell me I can't think about the next Starcraft game because another Diablo game is going to come out first. Apples and oranges, just made by the same company. I like FF7. I hate FF8. They're not the same to me.

Thirdly, I'm not very excited about FFXII. I know Famitsu gave it a perfect score, but quite frankly, I played the demo and it's lame. I could be totally wrong, and maybe the final product will be awesome, but I'm not very pumped for FFXII right now. I think FFXIII looks more interesting than the one that's right under our nose. The fact that it's on a next-gen platform (PS3) instead of FFXII (PS2) doesn't hurt either.

But, clearly I am in the minority, so I'll shut up. The trailer is still sweet, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

IF Square didn't want us to talk about it they wouldn't have released a trailer for it. I think Finaly Fantasy is going down hill, Everyone is hoping this new one will redeem the series but the fact that they already have a trailer for another one tell me that the quality of the series doesn't really matter. Just make some lame story , and a few plot twist, and a different simi male / female lead.

I'm sorry but that trailer just annoyed the heck out of me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I think it's a bit premature to declare that the franchise has jumped the shark. They haven't released a true single-player Final Fantasy in English since like 2001 (FFX-2 doesn't count <_< ). Who knows what they've come up with in the last 5 years?

I don't think releasing a trailer in FFXIII means lack of faith in FFXII either. From what I understand, response to the game in Japan has been very positive. The reason Square-Enix is ABLE to show off work on one Final Fantasy before another one is released in North America and Europe is because they have different teams working on each game. Unlike most franchises, where they finish one game before working on the sequel. That doesn't mean they've ever lacked confidence in any of their games. They just want to get a jump start on the next game, because they put a ton of work into each one, and they don't want an eight year gap between every sequel.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    making this thread now basically means that in 5 years, when the game comes out, and someone makes a thread about it, a mod will lock that thread and tell us to go discuss it 'at the existing thread' and point here.
    That needn't bother you...based on all the trolling you've been doing today I'd be surprised if you were still here in five days.

BTW Snapple it's not too early, it's 8:45 here on the east coast.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Besides given how long they've had XII in development I'm not surprised in the least to see a trailer for XIII. What did surprise me however was Versus XIII, I know it's an action game but a sequal in created in conjunction with the original? Course it IS FInal Fantasy, not like there's the remotest possibility that it'll be anything but a blockbuster. Sure Square's cocky, but they have every reason to be.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait... XII is out?

oh, right. nm.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XII isn't even here yet.

I don't want to talk about XIII. Excuse me. All three XIII titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I wanted to start talking about Final Fantasy XIV. No, wait, skip that, let's run up to Final Fantasy XV.

I thought we all agreed that this series peaked out at part 6 or part 7. When Square finally comes with something better than walking up to objects/people and pressing X, lemmie know.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My personal take on Final Fantasy (and this is from the US standpoint):

Final Fantasy: Great game! I loved this one, I was always Fighter, Theif, Black Mage, White Mage

Final Fantasy 7: I loved this game! Square Enix did a great job.

Final Fantasy 8: I watched my friend play it. Looked boring. Then again, all RPGs look boring if you're not playing.

Final Fantasy 9: The only problems I had with this game (besides Quina) was the fucking strategy guide. I bought the guide so I wouldn't have to go online. There's a little thing called common sense. If I wanted to go to a (now-dead) website to look up random info, I have gamefaqs for that.

Final Fantasy 10: It looked cool, but my Playstation broke a little bit after I bought it.

Final Fantasy 10-2: You made a sequal to it, but not to seven (and, for the record, yes, I know 8 is techniqually a sequal, don't get on my nuts about it)? Personally, I saw the previews. It had a lot of singing. This explains why I have no qualms about not playing it. If I wanted to listen to pop music, I'd buy a Brittney Spears album. It does not mix at all with a video game (unless the video game had you taking a chainsaw to her and feeding them to a huge iguana).

I'm tired and decided to post something.

Personally, I see no problems with talking about Final Fantasy 12.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    My personal take on Final Fantasy (and this is from the US standpoint):

Final Fantasy: Great game! I loved this one, I was always Fighter, Theif, Black Mage, White Mage

Final Fantasy 7: I loved this game! Square Enix did a great job.

Final Fantasy 8: I watched my friend play it. Looked boring. Then again, all RPGs look boring if you're not playing.

Final Fantasy 9: The only problems I had with this game (besides Quina) was the fucking strategy guide. I bought the guide so I wouldn't have to go online. There's a little thing called common sense. If I wanted to go to a (now-dead) website to look up random info, I have gamefaqs for that.

Final Fantasy 10: It looked cool, but my Playstation broke a little bit after I bought it.

Final Fantasy 10-2: You made a sequal to it, but not to seven (and, for the record, yes, I know 8 is techniqually a sequal, don't get on my nuts about it)? Personally, I saw the previews. It had a lot of singing. This explains why I have no qualms about not playing it. If I wanted to listen to pop music, I'd buy a Brittney Spears album. It does not mix at all with a video game (unless the video game had you taking a chainsaw to her and feeding them to a huge iguana).

I'm tired and decided to post something.

Personally, I see no problems with talking about Final Fantasy 12.
    He wants to talk about 13 though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew FF13 would come to the 360. There's no way Squeenix would let their cash cow franchise be limited to the third place system of this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's some footage from the FF13 demo on Kotaku. The beginning part is all cutscene (good cutscene though), then there's a boss battle, and then you see them running around the battlefield. And then... I'm not sure, because I haven't watched all the videos yet. There are five of them.

http://kotaku.com/5213994/final-fant...-for-posterity

Check it out. I'm starting to get excited for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    There's some footage from the FF13 demo on Kotaku. The beginning part is all cutscene (good cutscene though), then there's a boss battle, and then you see them running around the battlefield. And then... I'm not sure, because I haven't watched all the videos yet. There are five of them.

http://kotaku.com/5213994/final-fant...-for-posterity

Check it out. I'm starting to get excited for the game.
    Yeah, this game looks amazing. I love the music. The battle system looks like a lot of fun, I'm going to miss the gambits though. I thought the gambits in FFXII were one of the greatest things to happen to an RPG, the ability to program your AI party members to act how you want.

There is one thing I'm worried about. I read that when every battle is over, your HP/MP is automatically restored. But that sounds like a good thing doesn't it? I read that the FF team's goal was to have each battle be harder. Remember The Last Remnant and how almost every battle lasted at least 2 minutes? Hopefully I don't mind the length of each battle, or that each battle isn't as long as I'm thinking. The minor battles in the videos look fine.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy