Thread: Anybody here have a CDX manual?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody here have a CDX manual?..

I got a CDX a few weeks ago.. without a manual. I couldn't figure out how to access the "memory manager" interface in it. I posted a ? in the technical forum but I guess nobody reads that and I got no answer. I can't possibly be the only person here with a CDX.. but nevertheless.

Anyways.. after a while I figured out that if you start the CDX with an audio CD, the player interface comes up.. but no buttons to access the memory screen. If you take out the audio CD and insert a game WHILE the player interface is still open.. after it scans the new disc.. a memory manager button pops up; but there's gotta' be an easier way.. and I figure it's spelled out in the manual.

Could someone PLEASE check for me? Thanks.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: Anybody here have a CDX manual?..

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    I got a CDX a few weeks ago.. without a manual. I couldn't figure out how to access the "memory manager" interface in it. I posted a ? in the technical forum but I guess nobody reads that and I got no answer.
    You got no responses because two days later you posted...

Figured it out.
    You get more reads / responses on weekdays rather than over weekends in the Technical and Restoration Society forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well yeah.. I DID figure out a way.. but I figure there's got to be a more "direct" approach other than the awkward one I found.

I'm sure it must be mentioned in the manual.

BTW.. I posted the same exact question at the same time.. in the SegaXtreme forums.. but have yet to get an answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Try powering on with nothing in the CD drive or cartridge slot, then press down on the cartridge slot door. It's connected to a switch that disables power to the CD drive so it might toss the system to the internal menu - basically doing the same thing the little swap trick you discovered does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Put in a game, at the main Sega CD screen, press A,B or C

Then choose... memory? I think that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH

That's not it. That's what I tried right off the bat first (because that's what you do with the SCD I & II and X'Eye). If you leave the CDX empty (no cart OR CD game) you get the Sega CD intro screen, then press A,B, or C and you get the CD audio player menu.. but NO memory link (the audio CD player menu.. BTW.. looks totally different from the other models.. much simpler). If you put in a CD game and turn it on.. it, of course.. simply starts the game. If you put in an audio CD and turn it on.. you get.. again.. the audio CD player interface as before, with NO internal memory manager link. But THEN, remove the audio CD and put in a game one and after it scans the CD.. up pops the memory manager link where it wasn't before; and you CAN get into it then.

That's the only way I've found so far.. but I figure there has to be a way to get to it without having to switch out two CDs.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

From the Mega CD manual:

The MEMORY option is available when a Mega CD video game disc is in the drive.

The MEMORY button is displayed on the upper right side of the control panel when a Mega CD video game disc is in the drive. Use this button to format the Multi-Mega internal back-up memory. If your Mega CD game software has a 'save' feature, you can save your game to the internal memory. Later, you can load a saved game.

Saved games stay in memory for up to 28 days, even when unit is turned off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    From the Mega CD manual:

The MEMORY option is available when a Mega CD video game disc is in the drive.

The MEMORY button is displayed on the upper right side of the control panel when a Mega CD video game disc is in the drive. Use this button to format the Multi-Mega internal back-up memory. If your Mega CD game software has a 'save' feature, you can save your game to the internal memory. Later, you can load a saved game.

Saved games stay in memory for up to 28 days, even when unit is turned off.
    The games only stay in memory for 28 days? That sounds ridiculous. If that turns out to be true, you're going to want to forget about the screwy CDX memory and get a CD Backup RAM cart. Then you can avoid the whole menu thing plus have 16X more memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I just remembered I have an extra CDX manual and I pulled it out. The memory on this thing is different than a regular SCD after all. The U.S. manual says "The CDX will retain saved games for up to one month without being powered on. After that time, saved data may disappear." Then it goes on to tell you to reformat the memory if saves disappear. After that it says you're supposed to leave the CDX on for *SIX HOURS* after you reformat the memory. What the hell? It looks like the CD Backup RAM cart is definitely the way to go.

As I was perusing the manual I also noticed in the list of games that are not recommended for use with the 6-button pad they have Double Dragon 2 listed. Does this even exist? I don't think so. Also they call Alien 3 Aliens 3. They also list Decap Attack as Decapattack and Todd's Adventures In Slime World as simply Slime World.

Additionally, at the beginning it says the CDX plays the entire library of Sega CD titles. This is not true, is it? Radical Rex doesn't work on the CDX, does it?

It also says it plays the entire library of Genesis games which I find hard to believe. I'll bet Zany Golf and Ishido don't work on the CDX.

The maintenance and troubleshooting is hilarious as always with such insights as "Do not spill liquids into the disc tray" and "Make sure the T.V. is on".

Crazy Japanese.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

That's not it. That's what I tried right off the bat first (because that's what you do with the SCD I & II and X'Eye). If you leave the CDX empty (no cart OR CD game) you get the Sega CD intro screen, then press A,B, or C and you get the CD audio player menu.. but NO memory link (the audio CD player menu.. BTW.. looks totally different from the other models.. much simpler). If you put in a CD game and turn it on.. it, of course.. simply starts the game. If you put in an audio CD and turn it on.. you get.. again.. the audio CD player interface as before, with NO internal memory manager link. But THEN, remove the audio CD and put in a game one and after it scans the CD.. up pops the memory manager link where it wasn't before; and you CAN get into it then.

That's the only way I've found so far.. but I figure there has to be a way to get to it without having to switch out two CDs.

I'm at a loss.
    Odd, I just did it 5 minutes ago with my CDX.

Don't know what's going on with yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm at a loss.
    Odd, I just did it 5 minutes ago with my CDX.

Don't know what's going on with yours.
    You're absolutely right. I'm an idiot.. I never thought to put in a game THEN press the buttons. Whenever I put in a game it was to play it and I simply thought all it could do was auto boot it. I'd only ever pressed those buttons at the intro screen when the unit was empty. <slaps forehead>

Well.. that certainly beats my swap trick. Thanks.