Thread: Shocker: my buddy just dropped gaming, altogether

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Anyway, he said he made the sad realization that it's time to do other things with his life. He hasn't had a girlfriend in forever, blah blah.
    Your buddy is missing the boat, chicks love to play video games. You just need to lure them into the house, fire up some super puzzle fighter II and whip out the schwanson.

Its that easy
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Anyway, he said he made the sad realization that it's time to do other things with his life. He hasn't had a girlfriend in forever, blah blah.
    Your buddy is missing the boat, chicks love to play video games. You just need to lure them into the house, fire up some super puzzle fighter II and whip out the schwanson.

Its that easy
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you know there were times i thought about giving up gaming but i just gave up collecting comics and toys instead.now more recently in the last year or so i thought about giving up gaming again not because i felt i out grew it or anything it was just the fact i had got tried of todays games but i rediscovered the atari 2600 and the colecovision from my younger years.now am really excited about gaming again thanks to homebrew games and old games i have never played.it drives my wife crazy who doesnt understand my love of games but she supports me in my bad habits.your friend may just need some time away from gaming he will come back to it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few month's back I was thinking about what makes me grind my teeth. I guess I might be subconciously doing it in my sleep, but the only time I do it conciously is when I'm playing video games. I tried to stop playing video games and my teeth felt good for that time being. I don't think I even lasted a week though. One day I just looked at my Neo Geo cabinet flipped the switch and said, "You know what Alec, fuck your teeth."

Video Games > My Teeth

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex
    "Moderation is a key to happiness".
    I find that to be SOOO true. Now that I'm older I try to CONSCIOUSLY practice moderation in all aspects of my life and not be caught up in one thing and be obssessed by it. I have a huge VideoGame collection but hardly play anYmore except on occassion. I want to be able to control my gaming not the other way around. I also eat regularly, work out regularly, read and as much as possible and if something is close by the house I just walk for good old excercise and to save on gas. If you practice moderation in your life, it will work wonders for you in the long run when it comes to discipline and self control. Trust me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

self control? pppffftt!!
    just kiddin man!
    Buying my two cabs is not self control, however, I am not like some yodels here who have two dozen or more cabs, most of which are taking space in the garage as projects. Moderation is in the eye of the beholder. I don't drink too often, but one beer is moderation for me, someone else it's a 6 pack. Mind you I weigh a buck 35...
    My friends come over and we have a great time in my gameroom. Good times. If there is time to play a game, great, if there is something else pending, that's life. I'm not crying over lost time. Mario can save the princess another day. Or I can blow up my friends next week. blah blah blah.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcescott
    self control? pppffftt!!
    just kiddin man!
    Buying my two cabs is not self control, however, I am not like some yodels here who have two dozen or more cabs, most of which are taking space in the garage as projects. Moderation is in the eye of the beholder. I don't drink too often, but one beer is moderation for me, someone else it's a 6 pack. Mind you I weigh a buck 35...
    My friends come over and we have a great time in my gameroom. Good times. If there is time to play a game, great, if there is something else pending, that's life. I'm not crying over lost time. Mario can save the princess another day. Or I can blow up my friends next week. blah blah blah.
    I have 2 cabs too. But I'm certainly not playing them 24/7. All I'm saying is not to let something control the person if so then there's a problem. One should always be dynamic and adapt to different situations. If there is something that someone can't live without and is constantly looking for it in their lives then it's time to step back and gain perspective.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, this topic is spot on on what's been going around in my head the last couple of weeks too!

I quit gaming multiple times before, but always came back at some point , at this very moment i only have a gamecube and now that the next gen is coming, i started thinking again, drop gaming,or keep going....

The fact is i am also one of them black / white peepz, there just aint a grey road to take.

Although i did scale down to just nintendo though ( when i was younger i had everything but nintendo has always been me nr 1 )

Some days, i think about selling the cube and just leave gaming for what it is, besides, i kida spend enough money on my other collection (wrestling) and 2 collections would be a financial disaster

Then, there's the fact that i litteraly grew up playing games, had the nes when i was 2 and spend the last 20 years playing games ( besides the off-time i had when i guit gaming for some time), so i kinda feel like i wouldn't only sell the cube, i would sell part of my life with it if i decide to quit.

Or i could just keep going and start collecting nintendo again. the interest is still there...and not a day goes by that i don't think about the good times i had with my snes etc...

But do i really want to start all over again....it's been on-off for 20 years and now i'm at a crossroads in my head, i'm gonna make a definite choice one of these days.

And NO, just selling the cube and buy the WII and enjoy the occasional game just isn't an option, like i said, i'm very,very black/white minded when it comes to such things.

Either i'm really into something or i don't start it, right now, my wrestling collection basically controls my life, but it aint a problem really, gotta have a hobby right ?.....

Ah well, my point is i totally understand your friends reaction, i've been there myself and i'm here ( almost) again if i decide to not start over again.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Shocker: my buddy just dropped gaming, altogether

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Found out tonight a buddy of mine just decided to quit the gaming scene. He doesn't blame games for anything, as it made him a lot of friends that otherwise he might end his life he said. Hell, just last month I remember him talking about Saturn Bomberman get togethers.

Got me thinking... how long will YOU be involved with games? Life can change in a split second. I mean, all these games we own and games on our want list... one day they can all go from "sweet" to "bleh".

5 years from now I'll be 27... I honestly know there will come a point in my life where I too will make that "change" in my life. Family... girlfriend/wife... things will soon take over... and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way about gaming at 28 as I do at 22.

Anyway, didn't mean to get anyone down... but it just came to me as a shocker that my bud quit gaming tonight.
    This part would have me worried if I was his friend
    he might end his life

usally when people start getting rid of there stuff it is a big warning sign..sounds like he needs to get some help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm....ouch.
    Giving up games for some girl you might someday meet, huh.

One of my biggest turn ons is men who collect video games.
    If only there were more of you out there!
    I would love to find someone to connect with me over NES, Neo-Geo, or XBox...

Ive met one person EVER who likes to collect.
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

My gaming has dropped off a bit in the last two years, but I doubt I'll ever truly give it up. My tastes have just started to swing back, and I now find that the kinds of games I have liked in the past (Deus Ex, Ultima, System Shock 2, etc.) are not being produced or are rarely being produced (Freedom Force was a gem, and Space Rangers 2 was a godsend).

I'll probably be holding my money until games I really love come down the pike. Not sure if I want one of those dim-wittedly-named "wii" consoles, yet - depends.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle
    Hmmm....ouch.
    Giving up games for some girl you might someday meet, huh.

One of my biggest turn ons is men who collect video games.
    If only there were more of you out there!
    I would love to find someone to connect with me over NES, Neo-Geo, or XBox...

Ive met one person EVER who likes to collect.
    saaay, where in northern cali are you? just kidding.

But yeah, I'll keep an eye on him... thanks for the replies everyone

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Shocker: my buddy just dropped gaming, altogether

You just need to go where life takes you. There are "gaming free" gaps in my life. I've had one that lasted over two full years... But then one day, you're cleaning the house, and you move that old copy of Strider you never got to play. So you hook it up, and bam, you're back into it.

Don't sweat it, just go with the flow. Do what makes you happy. If games become work (as they sometimes do), just forget about them for awhile and pick them back up when it's fun again.

I'm married and have a three year old. Sure, I don't get to play like I did when I was 13, but I usually get in a solid 5 to 10 hours a week, all without sacrificing family time.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theMot
    Up untill the age of about 17 i was a hardcore gamer then one day i just suddenlly stopped. Did the whole social scene getting blind drunk every weekend thing for a few years before i met my gf which settled me down somewhat. Then sometime through the middle of last year (i was 23 at the time) I had this sudden urge to brake out my SNES and start doing hot laps in Mario Kart .

Ive been back into it full on ever since, ive started collected SNES games, mind you just the ones i really want as well as old retro magazines from back in the day - thank god i didn't throw any of them out!

At christmas i was given a DS and now im heavily into that too! I also plan on purchasing a Wii when it's released later this year. I dont see myself ever going col turkey on gaming again. Now that im back into it i remember how much i missed it.

Like it says on the home page... Let us ALL game on!!!
    This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about...

I remember during that two year stretch, I thought I was completely done with games. I even made fun of the arcades when me and my girl would walk past them.

But, deep down I was saddened that such a large part of me had gone away. But, it ended up just "going dormant", rather than disappearing. Now, when those game free stretches come (and they still do), I just enjoy whatever it is I'm tinkering with, with the knowledge that my gaming passion will return when it needs to. And usually, it's stronger than it was before.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec
    One day I just looked at my Neo Geo cabinet flipped the switch and said, "You know what Alec, fuck your teeth."
    I'll tell you what. That right there is sig worthy!
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMajenta
    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex
    "Moderation is a key to happiness".
    I find that to be SOOO true. Now that I'm older I try to CONSCIOUSLY practice moderation in all aspects of my life and not be caught up in one thing and be obssessed by it. I have a huge VideoGame collection but hardly play anYmore except on occassion. I want to be able to control my gaming not the other way around. I also eat regularly, work out regularly, read and as much as possible and if something is close by the house I just walk for good old excercise and to save on gas. If you practice moderation in your life, it will work wonders for you in the long run when it comes to discipline and self control. Trust me.
    There's a lot of damn good advice in this thread...

(Sorry about all the posts in a row. Just catchin up!)
    www.mancigames.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default well

if i survived a childhood with a 32x, neogeo pocket and shitty games bought by my parents, i think i can survive the rest of my life with tons of great games and a steady paycheck.
    but i had 2 friends who just went through the same thing. after going through an mmo craze with a second rate game like guild wars and selling his xbox for a paintball gun lot one friend gave it up for good. the other had the unfortunate experience of getting marryed and had to get rid of half his lot when they moved in together. he jokes to me that i get games, but he gets sex daily.if i had to make the same choice i dunno what i'd do.
    my only hope is to bring them back in with the wii.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like what has been said all before, I go through moods where I won't game for a while (usually a few months), but then, BAM new zelda, or new mario, or new anything in the amazing sagas that shaped my childhood. I can't give up gaming in my life (I have two tattoos from games, with a third in the works) so even if I stopped playing, I think I'm stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

i dont know any thing other than games so i am guessing for a long time.

and the girls i have met have been into games even the latest one how ever...it didnt go well....

it never goes well when the girl your seeing who you really really like and she really really likes you shows up one day and says shes gay.

it just doesent make sence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default quit

i have a friend who has done that....He thinks he is to old and mature, and has better things to do with his time...and he is only 27.