Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: OVGE 2006 - August 19th, Tulsa, OK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W
    Wow. I prefer to drive alone. I can turn up the radio (or iPod with FM transmitter) as loud as I want, I don't have to worry about stopping too much if I see shops I'd like to look at or generally need a pitstop, and I don't have to listen to anyone complain about how fast I drive.
    Dude, I so totally used to be like that. Taking long, interstate road trips was my thing. I loved loading up the car, driving long distances by myself, listening to my armada of mix tapes, and visiting and hanging out with friends in other states. I did that for years. After I started going out with my fiancee (then girlfriend), we started taking those trips together. In fact, just being with her in general totally changed me. Now I can't imagine taking a long trip without her and the very thought of going alone depresses me. I've made the trek to visit my dad in Arkansas three times since she's been gone (and even got to visit PDF in Ft. Smith and Flack in OK City), and it was tougher and more excruciating each time. I thought I wanted to go to Tulsa--and I did--but I just couldn't do it.

Guys, the photos look amazing and PDF, your video really made my mouth water. Congrats on an awesome show. I very much look forward to seeing it next year, come hell or high water. What are some of the things anyone scored? Any treasures?
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a few treasures.

Finding a vendor on the floor who was selling copies of Electronic Games Magazine for less than ten bucks was a joy to behold - I got January through August of 1983, and December of 1984. (The only issue I had before today was July '82.) I'm aiming for nothing less than a complete collection of EG.

Big thanks to Steve W for the mini-disco light - it was smaller than I thought, but y'know, that means my wife will kill me about 30% less than if I had brought a huge, hi-fi-speaker-sized disco light (which Kent also called a "color organ") home with me. :lol: Steve also gave me a stash of VIC-20 games too.

icbrkr brought me the Apple joystick there - many thanks. Of course the book is from Flack's table and I gladly plunked down the cover price and promptly started looking for my name in there.

Linda's Action Figures sold me the 2600 Raiders cart and manual. Believe it or not, I've never touched this game before. That's also where I got the 2600 manual, just 'cause.

A huge thanks to both Steve and to Mr. and Mrs. MegaManFan for the six-pack of Dr. Pepper straight from the plant in Dublin, TX - where they still use real live sugar! Kent and I were wide awake for the trip home, that's for sure.

As always, a big thanks to Kent for coming with me yet again, and to Jesse Hardesty (Crossbow) and his crew for putting on the show where all this fine madness took place.

Now Olivia's just waiting for me to hook it all back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here are my pix from the show:

http://www.robohara.com/albums/OVGE_2006

I'm still recovering from the trip and the event ... I'll post my review of the show tomorrow.

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a weekend! It was nice seeing and talking to everyone once again, I had almost forgot how much fun it is after not being able to come last year. I sold more stuff this year than in the past years I have attended so that makes more room and more money for more new toys . When I arrived and began to setup my stuff I realized that next year I have gotta get more than one table, I just have too much stuff to setup, I had two extra systems and two extra TV's that I was not able to setup, oh well! I wish there were a few more of these each year in the midwest. I would love to see something like this in Kansas City and/or St. Louis *HINT HINT ALL THE GUYS FROM STL THAT COME DOWN* . All in all I had a great time once again and it was nice to see everyone once again!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you looking for midwest shows:
    theres allways Midwest Gaming classic in WI
    and there also Video Game Summit in IL.
    (MGC is scheduled for june 9th and 10th 2007
    as for VGS you'll have to wait unril 2008 for the next show
    VGS is taking a year off,to refresh and come back fresh in 2008)

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished processing my pics from the show and they'll be showing up in my blog. Hopefully, by today.

A big THANKS goes out to PDF who invited me to show my Altairs and reserved a table for me to do that. This is the very first time I ever had a table at a show and it was a very cool experience for me. I hope to do it again.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    I also got to play a copy of Lord of the Dungeon on a Colecovision! I'd despaired of ever playing this hard to come by, expensive, unreleased-and-still-no-functional-emulation-of-the-rom of a game. It's kinda like early Ultima/Wizardry Titles. I played it until my first party ( Sir Crax and Mandrake, I think) was dead. I would enjoy playing it more someday, but I'm satisfied for now.
    Glad you enjoyed Lord of The Dungeon. I've spent less than 15 minutes trying out the game, so you have definitely "explored" more than I have. My only regret is that I forgot to take any pictures this year, so thanks to everyone else that did!

Brad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OVGE was great this year, being able to meet everyone again, as well as some new faces in the crowd.
    My ColecoVision table went over very well, even though I had a last minute set-up. The dual Vectrex's were also a hit, with several offers to buy one! The one thing that I would change is to have some chairs in front of the Vectrex's, as well as the SHUMP tournament. I found the mini-Atari joystick 2 days before OVGE, and decided to offer one as a prize. The other mini Atari joystick that was supposed to be for "show only" had several people asking "does it really work?." So, I plugged it in and watched the joystick slowly disintegrate! Several gamers enjoyed it, while others just watched. Fifteen bucks for a very poorly made "Plug N Play", that will be used as a key-chain only. (Collectors, look for this item to be reduced soon.)

Saturday evening was fun, even with the thunderstorm! Being able to spend time with everyone is a cherished moment, that any game cannot possibly match. As for the Pac-Man scratch-offs, when I took them to Texas for a payout, the place I stopped at said that this game was out of date, and the big prizes had already been won. He was wrong, as shown at the Texas Lotto site located here:
    http://www.txlottery.org/scratchoffs...t.cfm?gnum=664
    (36 more cocktail arcades to be given away!)

I also regret only buying 2 items this year, Rob's Commodork book, and an arcade marquee of Donkey Kong Jr. from Jeff.

Thanks to everyone for a great show this year. With everyone pulling together, OVGE will be here for 2007!

Brad

ps. Did anyone get a picture of the Coke/Pepsi SHUMP?