Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OVGE 2006 - August 19th, Tulsa, OK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume you guys are staying at the hotel that the show is in, right?

I'm still debating on flying for $120 or driving for a little more... and flying for an hour or driving for 4 1/2 hours.

I told a pal from Ark about the show and he might make it if works not a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

That's where Icbrkr and PDF live as well (Arkansas). I'm in Oklahoma City. I'm not sure if we're staying there or not yet. I can't remember if there were any restaurants within walking distance (other than the one in the hotel) but there are tons of places to eat within 3 or 4 miles.

I don't know Tulsa that well so I'm not sure where the airport is in relation to the hotel, but I don't think it's that close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tulsa International is nearly on the opposite side of town. But..the Marriott has a shuttle service from the airport to the Hotel provided your a guest there or course.

And I want to say there are a few places sorta within walking distance. There is a BK about a block West of the Hotel as I recall and a Subway about a mile West from the Hotel.

I would have liked to have done the show closer to the Airport, however, there are two problems with that. One is that the airport and the area, isn't a very good part of Tulsa, and two, there aren't really any Hotels near the airport that have nearly the same space as I get at the Marriott in South Tulsa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any specials on hotel rooms related to this? I'm planning on coming up the friday night before so that I can have the full day to hang out.

Is there anything going on the night before?? Maybe an unofficial DP gathering?

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I booked a room for friday night and they gave me the "Leisure Rate" which was 89 bucks a night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeap...the leisure rate is accurate. Same deal if you mention your attending the OVGE and want the room discount setup for it. That is..there is supposed to be...so make sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I called and reserved they said there was no special rate for OVGE because there were no rooms set aside and the best deal they could give me was the leisure rate.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are an AAA member and plan to book at the Marriott, you'll get a slightly better rate than the leisure rate. I just booked my room and it was $85 a night with my AAA membership. It's only $4 off the leisure rate but money is money!

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No special rate for the show ehh? I had specifically worked out a deal with them this year to have about 10 rooms slotted away at the leisure rate of 89.99 a night. But I guess since they offer the leisure rate...it is all the same thing. Strange though...

Well, they get the money for the room early next week, so everything should be squared away by them.

I could still use a few more Arcade cabs at the show though..errrr....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's still a while before the show, but it looks like I'll be there. Being in a small family business, things can change quickly. If something comes up and I can't make it, there will be next year (I hope).

I'd like to toss out this offer. If there is a game in my import collection that someone wants to see or use in their display let me know. I don't have anything really rare or out of this world, but I thought I'd ask. I have to say no R. Silvergun, since I don't want to buy another copy if something happens. I have mostly Saturn, Dreamcast, PCE & PS2.

Click for collection by system

Also, is it worth it for me to bring my trade box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by Funk Buddy
    It's still a while before the show, but it looks like I'll be there. Being in a small family business, things can change quickly. If something comes up and I can't make it, there will be next year (I hope).

I'd like to toss out this offer. If there is a game in my import collection that someone wants to see or use in their display let me know. I don't have anything really rare or out of this world, but I thought I'd ask. I have to say no R. Silvergun, since I don't want to buy another copy if something happens. I have mostly Saturn, Dreamcast, PCE & PS2.

Click for collection by system

It's always worth bringing your trade box If you show up the day before, a lot of times while we're setting up a bunch of the exhibitors like myself do a bit of pre-show trading. Plus, you just never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds good to me. I'm not sure if I'll be down Friday or not, travel plans are up in the air ATM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I've decided that I'm definitely coming. I'll visit my dad in Arkansas, then make the drive to Tulsa. Can't wait.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I'm going . Done deal. I'll be heading there with Altairboy and my meager tradebox and am looking forward to meeting some fellow DP'ers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Pantechnicon, AltairBoy, and k8track -- when do you all plan on arriving in Tulsa, and when do you plan on leaving?

I have to work Friday, so I'm planning on having everything loaded up so that Friday after work I can head straight to Tulsa. I should be there around 7pm, Friday night. My wife is driving separately and won't be in Tulsa until later that night. We'll be there Saturday; she's leaving early to head back home to pick up the kids from grandma's. I'll be at the show until 5pm (obviously) -- after that, it just depends on what everyone else's plans are as to what I'm doing. If anyone wants to hang out and go to dinner or something I'm down for that. Regardless, I'll probably drive back to OKC Saturday night after everything else wraps up.

I'm already in hot water; Saturday is also my wedding anniversary, so I'll be making ammends Sunday for spending Saturday in Tulsa, I'm guessing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ice already touched on this, but I just wanted to add that there are a couple of guys every year who bring their trade boxes not just the night before but to the show itself. IIRC the "balloon guy" (the guy that shows up every year and makes balloon animals for people) also brings his tradebox to the show and walks from table to table, wheeling and dealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there's going to be a trade session on Friday night, I want in! I don't have a lot in my trade box right now, but I'll bring what I have!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

My plans are that I'm still going in a few weeks... though I might not be as prepared as I'd like to have been.

Flack and a few others already know this and I've been posting on my blog - my mom is losing her battle to ovarian cancer and I've been watching her for a couple of weeks now. Depending on how everything unfolds will determine if I'm still making it or not.

If I do make it, I'll still be there on Friday night and the days leading up to it are going to be busy for me - I still need to sort out my for sale pile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Ice already touched on this, but I just wanted to add that there are a couple of guys every year who bring their trade boxes not just the night before but to the show itself. IIRC the "balloon guy" (the guy that shows up every year and makes balloon animals for people) also brings his tradebox to the show and walks from table to table, wheeling and dealing.
    Well, if all works as planned I'll be there Friday night. I plan on leaving here (KC) around 2 pm at the latest. I'll be glad to help set up if anyone needs the assistance. The trade box will be in tow just incase.

@ icbrkr

Sorry to hear about your mother. Family comes first for sure, but it'll be nice to meet the DP crew too.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Pantechnicon, AltairBoy, and k8track -- when do you all plan on arriving in Tulsa, and when do you plan on leaving?
    Chances are Pantechnicon and I will be leaving Albuquerque at or before 8:00 AM Friday morning. This means we'll be in Tulsa 5:30 PM ish Tulsa time.

Pan and I are staying in Tulsa Saturday night and will leave sometime Sunday morning.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.