Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OVGE 2006 - August 19th, Tulsa, OK

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't be able to make it in until Saturday morning, but I think this announcement will make up for it.

I'm planning to have copies of the new, improved and extended Phosphor Dot Fossils video available. This is a greatly expanded version of the one that's been running for the past couple of years, now with nearly twice as many games shown (on twice as many systems), more coverage of computer games on such platforms at the Apple II, Commodore 64, and Atari 8-bit machines, classic commercials, footage of rare gaming swag, and much more. Come visit the PDF road crew and get a piece of classic gaming history to take home with you!

If you just want to play some games, of course we'll have the Odyssey and Odyssey2, AltairBoy and his Altair collection, and the ever-popular complete collection of Coleco mini-arcade tabletop machines. Something old school for everybody!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

For anyone who didn't see PDF's old video presentation, let me tell you, it was bad ASS. I got a copy of the old one a couple of years ago. I took it home and planned on watching it for five minutes or so. A couple of hours later (or however long it is) I was still sitting there on the couch, drooling and watching. I've seen a few pix from the new video and it looks even more awesomer (c).

I'll be buying one early in the day but I'm not going to open it until I get home, otherwise I'll end up watching it all day during the convention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was on the fence about this and was close to giving it a nod, but we spent a little more in Chicago at the comic con than expected. Looks to be a blast though and I will try hard to set aside some cash for next year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I've spent some time pricing stuff today - There will be roughly:

80+ 2600/7800 carts selling mostly for $1
    20+ NES carts selling for 3-5 each
    INTV stuff for a buck
    O2 stuff for a buck
    SMS stuff for $3-7
    Various controllers, TI stuff (TI stuff, $1/cart)
    A Coleco pong machine, a stack of SUN Sparcstations
    Some CD32 titles I got extra (but not the amount I thought I'd have)
    I gotta make sure I don't come home with this stuff! I'll have 200+ carts in all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A late announcement here - due to duplication turnaround time, I won't be able to get the DVDs done in time for the show. Apologies to everyone who was setting aside their ten bucks for it - it'll be ready for the next OVGE for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    the "balloon guy" (the guy that shows up every year and makes balloon animals for people) also brings his tradebox to the show and walks from table to table, wheeling and dealing.
    The baloon guy usually has some pretty decent stuff on him, I bought a couple of afterburner kits for the gameboy advance and some other stuff last time I was there. You never know what you are gonna come home with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Okay, it's official. I booked a room at a Super 8 on I-44 not far from the location of the event. ($45.87 for one night, non-smoking room). Gonna BE there.

My 8-year old son and I are going to make a father/son day of it. We'll be wearing matching red shirts with a big gecko on them. Say "Hi" to us if you see us.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, this is turning into the DP Dream Team get-together. I can't wait, if only for that reason!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got my room booked and so far it's still a go. I should be there around 6 pm Friday. Like I said, I'm up for helping anyone to set up that needs it. Please remember that I'm a fat (lazy) old man and can't stay up too late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OVGE '06 Layout

This is the final layout and table assignment for the room this year. Feel free to ask me any questions, but I really can't make any changes to the layout at this point. I don't think anyone will be disappointed...

See all of you on Saturday!

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all I know is that once I get setup, off to the poker tables a creek nation I will go \^_^/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    Okay, it's official. I booked a room at a Super 8 on I-44 not far from the location of the event. ($45.87 for one night, non-smoking room). Gonna BE there.

My 8-year old son and I are going to make a father/son day of it. We'll be wearing matching red shirts with a big gecko on them. Say "Hi" to us if you see us.
    I missed this post -- that's awesome, can't wait to see you guys there!

That reminds me ... shoot, I don't think anyone headed up the official DP name tags this year! If I think of it I will pick up some blank ones if nothing else from the dollar store.

I'll be there around 5'ish Friday. I know Icebreaker, AltairBoy and Pantechnicon will all be in around the same time as well. I'll probably be wearing my "Flack" hat just for simplicity sake. If you see us, come grab us and say hey! I'll have my cell phone with me too, if you need the number send me a PM.

We're two days out now, so I made this a global announcement for the next 3 days. Last call, gamers -- it looks like this will be the biggest year ever!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really glad I can make it this year. Looks like fun to be had by all! I've tried to put the word out elsewhere to draw more people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad

This really makes me want to bring my own son, who's the same age and has a thing for both videogames and herps. Alas, we didn't plan the trip that way .

Either way, I'll look out for you both to say hi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping to be able to be in Tulsa around 5:30 to 6:00 or so on Friday night. I've pulled all of the dupes I can find and will be bringing them up for the DP folks to browse. Don't have a lot, but there is some interesting stuff in there.

Can't wait to finally meet some more DP folks! If I can remember to grab it, I'll bring my DP nametag from CGE. Otherwise, I'll be the geek in the video game shirt (real descriptive, huh?)

Flack, I'll give you a call once I hit the hotel and get settled in a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flack--sorry, I didn't see your post asking me when I was going to arrive. I decided to not go to Arkansas, but I am still going to Tulsa, so I will be there tomorrow (Friday) night, don't know what time. I'm gonna bring my tent and camp out at Snowdale St. Park, which is about an hour's drive east of Tulsa, near Salina. Hopefully I'll get there in good time and get my tent set up and get into Tulsa that evening. Where exactly are people meeting Friday evening, in the hotel lobby? If I don't see you Friday night, I'll definitely be there Saturday--anything going on Saturday evening?
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I plan on hanging out and eating with people both Friday and Saturday nights. Kev, you've still got my cell phone number (if not, PM me), so drop me a line when you're in the Tulsa area. If we leave the hotel area I'll try and note which general direction we went so others can easily find us. I suspect Friday I'll get to the hotel, hang out for a bit and "find people", go eat with whoever wants to go, come back to the hotel, and hang out in some generally visible area (either the lobby or the OVGE room itself).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Bummer! Looks like we're going to miss out on any Friday night activities. I'm respecting my wife's wishes to not take my son out of school early on Friday so we won't even be leaving Austin until about 3:30. I don't expect we'll get into Tulsa until around 11-12 midnight-ish! (I have a light foot, must be from growing up in the northeast U.S., where traffic usually crawls.)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bummer indeed. Perhaps you'll be able to hang out after the show on Saturday?

Based on my experience, driving in Texas with a light foot is a very good idea.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on the current Fines in the state of OK right now...driving with a light foot is HEAVILY advised!!!

Min fine in OK is $120...min in Tulsa county now sits at $170...incredible...

Just forewarning...