Thread: rare PS2 games worth money later down the road

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    gradius 5- sorry but this is a pet peeve. I don't understand why people use rarity and value interchangeably. Rarity is what it is. Price increases over time. Rarity doesn't.
    This is the thing that always had me thinking.
    Let's say that a game has X number of games printed, then over the years games get destroyed for whatever reason, thrown out, made into art projects, etc. Thus diminishing the number of copies of a game in existance.
    These numbers are incalculable, but they increase a games rarity.

Back on topic: along with Disgaea, I nominate any other Nippon Ichi-made game for PS2 games that will hold their value well (La Pucelle, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave, etc.)
    # of games actually destroyed would be pretty small IMO. I doubt the attrition rate is 10% on modern systems. It's not a substantial #. People pay good money for games, they aren't going to throw them away for no reason.

Manuals and boxes might be thrown out... but not the games themselves.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gradius 5- sorry but this is a pet peeve. I don't understand why people use rarity and value interchangeably. Rarity is what it is. Price increases over time. Rarity doesn't.
    Let's say that a game has X number of games printed, then over the years games get destroyed for whatever reason, thrown out, made into art projects, etc. Thus diminishing the number of copies of a game in existance.

Back on topic: along with Disgaea, I nominate any other Nippon Ichi-made game for PS2 games that will hold their value well (La Pucelle, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave, etc.)
    # of games actually destroyed would be pretty small IMO. I doubt the attrition rate is 10% on modern systems. It's not a substantial #. People pay good money for games, they aren't going to throw them away for no reason.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, I was mostly thinking of classic games for this.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, I was mostly thinking of classic games for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922

R-Type Final - Ive seen TWO copies of this game complete within the last year.

Gradius 5- maybe not "rare" yet but definitely not large amounts of copies floating around.
    r type - no way, this game is everywhere, at least in my neck of the woods. It was in a 2pack bundle at my local costco... nothing bundled at a mass retailer like costco can be too rare.

WE are FAMILY! ........We are the NINTENDOPHILES! *

*Remember boys and girls that anything that is NOT made/produced or endorsed by NINTENDO or at leat a 20 year old cartridge-prefferably BY NINTENDO- is NOT collectible and should not be collected or enjoyed in any form by anyone unless WE say so.

Also: Please refrain from posting any topics on this forum UNLESS it is NINTENDO related (unless it is to bash Sony or thier systems etc) otherwise we can not be held responsible by the actions of the Nintendo ELITE that remain the defacto power of this board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius 5- maybe not "rare" yet but definitely not large amounts of copies floating around.
    r type - no way, this game is everywhere, at least in my neck of the woods. It was in a 2pack bundle at my local costco... nothing bundled at a mass retailer like costco can be too rare.

*Remember boys and girls that anything that is NOT made/produced or endorsed by NINTENDO or at leat a 20 year old cartridge-prefferably BY NINTENDO- is NOT collectible and should not be collected or enjoyed in any form by anyone unless WE say so.

Also: Please refrain from posting any topics on this forum UNLESS it is NINTENDO related (unless it is to bash Sony or thier systems etc) otherwise we can not be held responsible by the actions of the Nintendo ELITE that remain the defacto power of this board.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Re: rare PS2 games worth money later down the road

I'll go over your list. I don't consider any of these titles RARE yet, but here we go:

Possible money makers:

World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars 2002 (for Collectors only, no one in their right mind would pay more than $20 just to play it)
    Growlanser Generation Deluxe
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE

Uncommons:

Fire Fighter F.D. 18
    RPG Maker 3
    Fatal Frame 1-3
    Grandia Xtreme
    Jurrasic Park: Operation Genesis

Not a chance they'll be worth much:

Capcom Vs. SNK 2
    Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
    Shadow Hearts 1+2
    Silent Hill 1-4

Games that have 'Suikoden Syndrome', meaning they aren't rare but are always in demand:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    REZ
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Re: rare PS2 games worth money later down the road

I'll go over your list. I don't consider any of these titles RARE yet, but here we go:

Possible money makers:

World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars 2002 (for Collectors only, no one in their right mind would pay more than $20 just to play it)
    Growlanser Generation Deluxe
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE

Uncommons:

Fire Fighter F.D. 18
    RPG Maker 3
    Fatal Frame 1-3
    Grandia Xtreme
    Jurrasic Park: Operation Genesis

Not a chance they'll be worth much:

Capcom Vs. SNK 2
    Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
    Shadow Hearts 1+2
    Silent Hill 1-4

Games that have 'Suikoden Syndrome', meaning they aren't rare but are always in demand:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    REZ
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I the age of the cd\dvd I think that the quote rare game is a thing of the past. If something becomes too rare companies will find a way to reprint.

Alot of the rare hype comes from the cartridege era nobody was reprinting carts and during the psx early years no one was reprinting. It sucks because it removes that part of collecting for some people. So I look at nothing in this era as being rare because it is just a pressing away.
    neo geo system

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I the age of the cd\dvd I think that the quote rare game is a thing of the past. If something becomes too rare companies will find a way to reprint.

Alot of the rare hype comes from the cartridege era nobody was reprinting carts and during the psx early years no one was reprinting. It sucks because it removes that part of collecting for some people. So I look at nothing in this era as being rare because it is just a pressing away.
    neo geo system

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, you're an idiot. I mean you really are a world class tool to come back with a post like that. So I collect nintendo stuff, so what? I didn't disparage collecting sony stuff in the least, just stated the FACTS that they are produced in high quantities (just the same as nintendo stuff largely was) and that rarity and value are not interchangeable terms. For what it's worth I can see sony stuff going up in VALUE in the future. Not in RARITY because no one's throwing the stuff away. Not hard concepts to understand unless your IQ is below 50.

As for 'nintendo elite that remain the defacto power of this board'... you have to seriously be kidding me? That is the most immature thing I've read in quite some time.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, you're an idiot. I mean you really are a world class tool to come back with a post like that. So I collect nintendo stuff, so what? I didn't disparage collecting sony stuff in the least, just stated the FACTS that they are produced in high quantities (just the same as nintendo stuff largely was) and that rarity and value are not interchangeable terms. For what it's worth I can see sony stuff going up in VALUE in the future. Not in RARITY because no one's throwing the stuff away. Not hard concepts to understand unless your IQ is below 50.

As for 'nintendo elite that remain the defacto power of this board'... you have to seriously be kidding me? That is the most immature thing I've read in quite some time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah maybe these games won't be so much "rare" but give it another 5 years and some of these games, I believe, will be like finding a Valrkyrie Profile in the used PS1 section at your local EB. The games listed in this thread I think are ones that should be held onto by collectors because I believe they will retain thier value well. I know we can all speculate on what the future value will be for these games but I think the ones listed on my first thread will be the ones we should all hold onto for the future. I know as of now, every time i go into a game store, I'll do a quick check for Disgaea or Marvel Vs. capcom 2 and almost never see them. To find them complete is even harder to accomplish. So I'm just saying these games are probably the ones us, as collectors, should hold onto. Then 5-10 years from now we may go do a search on e-bay and find that our PS2 collections are worth something. Digital devil saga and SMT: Nocturn should all definately be bought by everyone because not only is it fun to play but they aren't easy to come by just yet, and i can see there is a following/demand for those games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah maybe these games won't be so much "rare" but give it another 5 years and some of these games, I believe, will be like finding a Valrkyrie Profile in the used PS1 section at your local EB. The games listed in this thread I think are ones that should be held onto by collectors because I believe they will retain thier value well. I know we can all speculate on what the future value will be for these games but I think the ones listed on my first thread will be the ones we should all hold onto for the future. I know as of now, every time i go into a game store, I'll do a quick check for Disgaea or Marvel Vs. capcom 2 and almost never see them. To find them complete is even harder to accomplish. So I'm just saying these games are probably the ones us, as collectors, should hold onto. Then 5-10 years from now we may go do a search on e-bay and find that our PS2 collections are worth something. Digital devil saga and SMT: Nocturn should all definately be bought by everyone because not only is it fun to play but they aren't easy to come by just yet, and i can see there is a following/demand for those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, Disgaea used to be really hard to find, but last Christmas (last time I was in the states and shopping) I saw, no shit, at least 50 new, sealed versions. Every Fry's I went to had a bunch, and I saw several at GS.

I actually bought 2 and gave them out as Christmas gifts

Just to pile on the lists a bit -- all the horse sims will be hard to find, G1 Jockey 3 especially. Don't know if they have any real value outside the hardcore horse sim set, but I can guarantee 10 years down the road you'll have a bitch of a time finding them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, Disgaea used to be really hard to find, but last Christmas (last time I was in the states and shopping) I saw, no shit, at least 50 new, sealed versions. Every Fry's I went to had a bunch, and I saw several at GS.

I actually bought 2 and gave them out as Christmas gifts

Just to pile on the lists a bit -- all the horse sims will be hard to find, G1 Jockey 3 especially. Don't know if they have any real value outside the hardcore horse sim set, but I can guarantee 10 years down the road you'll have a bitch of a time finding them.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance count as well?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance count as well?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about Deus Ex

ive been to many shops in CT NY and NJ and none of the shops ive been to had this game
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about Deus Ex

ive been to many shops in CT NY and NJ and none of the shops ive been to had this game
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert