Thread: GameCube games on the Nintendo Wii - a question....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GameCube games on the Nintendo Wii - a question....

Ok, most of us know that the component cable for the GameCube is ridiculously expensive. Supposedly, they typically go for about $80 on Ebay.

So I was thinking..... If the Nintendo Wii plays all Cube games, will it play the progressive scan Cube games in a native 480p? I understand that virtually all Wii games will be 480p, so I know the system can do 480p, and I'm sure there will be a much cheaper component cable available for the Wii, so I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't make any sense to buy a $80 GameCube component cable, considering that $80 could simply go towards a Wii system.

Of course the big thing is whether or not the Wii is totally 100 percent compatible with the Cube. I mean on a hardware level. Not software emulation. ATI did the GPU on the Cube and they did the GPU on the Wii right? If so, maybe on a hardware level, it's 100 percent backwards compatible with the Cube.

And then, if it is backward compatible, and I play a game like Resident Evil 4, and the game is in 480p, is it a real deal 480p signal? Or does the backward compatibility just upscan things to 480p, and it isn't the true 480p signal like it would be on a GameCube with the component cable?

I'm guessing it will be "true" 480p for the Cube games that offered 480p, but you never know. Anyways, if it is true 480p, then that's an extra bonus for the Wii. Those Nintendo Component cables for the cube are 'spensive!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Cube games that support 480p they will most likely play true 480p on the Wii, and games that don't support it will probably just be upconverted.

It would probably be best to hold off on a GCN component cable, since, like you said, a cheaper Wii version will most likely be made.

I'm not sure how it works, but I don't think that GCN games will be software emulated, from what I gathered about the specs, and the plans for intergration it seems like the Wii hardware will be like the two systems in one in the sense that it will play the GCN games perfectly. And I also think that some Wii games will be able to use the HCN controller if you prefer.

It's a 480p capeable system, it's probably safe to assume it will support all 480p games regardless of console. It would also be cool if the emulation had a special code to make the classic games look better, since it't my undeerstanding that not all ofthem translate to HD that well. But since the Wii isn't a big HD proponent that might not happen.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think too many wii owners will care... they're not buying it for the graphics anyway.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It'll be a different component cable anyhow to the Cube, there's only one "out" on the back for video/audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm perhaps I should be selling my cable now...... Nah!
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    It'll be a different component cable anyhow to the Cube, there's only one "out" on the back for video/audio.
    I'm hoping it's a backwards compatable Wii component cable that could optionally plug into the Cube.

The Digital A/V on the Cube could always theoretically output audio as well as video (A/V), but the official cable never happened to do this.

Obviously the official Wii cable will be different from the Cube one, and output sound, but perhaps it is backwards compatable with the Cube's Digital A/V?

I think some have claimed that the Wii's output looks different... so perhaps it's a totally new cable.... :/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

PlayAsia has the Cube component cables in stock again for $49.99 plus $5 shipping, if anyones interested. I just ordered one for myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So will the Wii not use the same plug that's been used on SNES, N64, and Gamecube?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I don't think so, it looks a bit different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless the design changes the old style SNES/N64/GC plug will definitely not work with the Wii. The Wii jack sure DOES look the same as the GC one though. I guess since the GC port was Digital AV it required a DAC in the cable itself which is probably why no third parties made a cable. I'm split on whether the Wii should stick with the same port for backward compatibilty or a normal analog component output for cheaper cables in the future.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if the Wii is 100% backwards compatible with the GC it still might be worth getting the GC component cables for playing the game boy player in 480p (I guess I'm lucky I got mine from Lik-Sang when they still had 'em ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up my component cables in Jan from NOA. They were back ordered until Feb 6th which was the last batch they were making. Thank God I got mine for $30! I did not realize it at the time that that was the last batch, but I am glad I decided to order them just in the nick of time!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Not completely true, older models of the Cube had an extra out for component hookups.

http://iso420.pxn-os.com/ngc/xtender...back_ports.jpg <- The digital out is on older systems

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

My point is though, the Wii out supports digital as well, not just analog, hence it has to be a different sort of output and cable needed to support both over one.

No need to show me the Cube back pic, I've had one since 2001

When you use the component on the Cube, you still need to use the analog port for sound. That won't be the case with the Wii, both will come out the one port.