Thread: DOA Ultimate owns me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOA Ultimate owns me.

Here's a quick question for all the big fighting game fans

I've been on a big fighting game binge for a few weeks now. It's never been my genre of choice, but I've found myself drawn to them more and more, recently.

Mostly I've been messing around with Capcom Vs. SNK 2, KOF: Maximum Impact, and DOA: Ultimate. Now here's my situation. My previous experience with fighters had led me to believe that having your ass handed to you by the computer eventually led to figuring out the game's system and coming up with countermeasures, In other words improving.

I've hit the point where I can tackle Soul Calibur on the hightest difficulty settings because I could see how the computer was laying waste to me and I could adapt. It made sense to me.

DOA: Ultimate just owns me. I've beaten it just through pure attrition, hammering away with striking flurries and continuing over and over until I get lucky. Any attempt I make with holds or throws results in the comp tossing me around like a rag doll. Even in sparring mode with the comp set to throw I can't figure out the counter system in this game.

The funny thing is I never had this problem with DOA2 on the dreamcast. I could breeze through that thing on normal mode. It was just a matter of timing and striking combos. What's the deal? Am I completely oblivious to some aspect of DOA's fighting system, or is this thing just my fighting game kryptonite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a massive fighter nut I have to say DOA is my least
    favorite franchise as most of there later titles lack any patterns
    other then being cheap. The AI is to a point, how do I say,
    A Fucking Mind READER, I mean come on you can use totally
    different move sets one round to the next and still the Ai picks
    up on what your up to before you are!.

Great games multiplayer they, IMO, suck balls single player as
    the AI obviously went to school with the AI from Mortal Kombat 3
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I don't get much satisfaction from playing the CPU.

Dead or Alive is a unique game series which IMO hasn't gotten it's own style until the 4th game. DoA4 I liked.

Nothing I can say about playing vs the CPU other than hang in there lol, either that or exploit the AI(there are ways to do it in every fighting game pretty much).
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up doa4 a few days ago and to be honest I was thinking this game was more dead than alive. I think since doa2 (a personal fav ) doa has seen little inovation but maybe it's not ment to... my disapointment came from the game feeling like a great game, like doa2. sure not a bad thing but I wanted more.

my other complaint is the lack of levels! no snow of beach level!? no Tengu!?! no mini games? I have hi expectations I know but x_x what gives? aside from those things I think it's a fair game that is the only fighing experiience on 360 to be had. ton of fun with a pizzia, a couple beers gathered in the living room and some friends. a fighting game get to gether can generate excitment and tone level on par with game night fanatics.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing against the CPU wont do much for you. Well I mean it has for me, but thats because I've watched a few videos. Jump on youtube and get your ass to the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

doa4 has quite a few little secret achivment ulockables I noticed... could you hint at some of these unlockable secrets? a Tengu?, hidden levels?...maybe the team ninja intro at the begining scanning the ocean and then shoots up into the clouds to reveal a mountain top... could this be a hidden secret level? maybe tengu lives there now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

DOA makes my brain hurt.

Xtreme Beach Volleyball is the exception.

Actually, I really suck at 3D fighters, so that's my problem. As to why it's constantly handing your ass to you...

Crazy AI?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel ya mr. smiley. one may not like or perfer a fighting game but if the only rare occasion you undust it and pop in your systems is when you have som friends over, that alone is worth it. fighting games are great party games! before we had party games we had fighters

actually I'm starting to enjoy doa4.... though it did take some time. the big disapointment for me was the absence of Tengu (so far) and the limited number of stages. I can only take like 30 mins at a time of this game lol