Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 to be sold via lottery?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 to be sold via lottery?

Interesting possibility... a good friend of mine that works within the Gamestop/EB system was at a meeting last week where they discussed the distribution system for the PS3 launch.

My friend says that instead of the old system of preordering and launch allocations that vary per store, they are considering doing a lottery. They would have everyone that wants a launch system register for a lottery to determine who is going to get one. He wasn't sure exactly how it would work from that point, but he doesn't think Sony would ship the PS3's directly, he thinks either the winners would be directed to the closest retail store, or the customer would get to pick which store he or she could pick it up from.

What do you think about the likelihood of this, and its pros and cons?

I think if it's done intelligently (preventing people from submitting large #'s of entries by tying it to a phone number or an address) it would be a good idea. I think the current paradigm for system launches needs an overhaul. This would cut down on hoarding for profit, eliminate overnight lines, and stop retail stores from saving systems for themselves and favored customers.

Of course the retail stores wouldn't want this, but refusing to go along with the system would mean they wouldn't get any launch systems, and fewer or maybe even no second shipments, costing game and accessory sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

A lottery? It's a console, not the $20 million jackpot, pre-ordering is good enough. If you pre-order you get your PS3 and everything is fine. If you don't, you have to stake it out and hope for the best.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As if the $600 price tag didn't discourage enough people from getting a PS3 at launch, now they want to do a lottery system? What happened to the good old days when retailers just stocked merchandise on store shelves and it was sold to people on a first come, first serve basis?

Screw that. I'm buying a 360 instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heh. I always thought they should skip the retailers and auction the launch systems off directly from their website. If they have 500,000 systems then the 500,000 highest bids get a system shipped to them. Prices wouldn't go for as high as the highest ebay prices, but the manufacturer would actually make a profit on their system that way without hurting sales hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

So I can bid on a chance to spend 600 bucks? :/
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    So I can bid on a chance to spend 600 bucks? :/
    No, basically it's like sony only selling them on ebay and whatever they sell for is what you pay.
    http://www.maximumcrowe.net/maximumc...outhpark3.jpeg

I bet Tugger wants to hear a song off me new album!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

win a chance to spend $600 dollars! alright!
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you would think the $600 price would be enough to squash some of the demand. I know that some people that were early in pre-ordering the PS3 from GameCrazy have cancelled their pre-orders and gotten their $50 back, when they found out about the $600 price.

Money talks and bullshit walks. Tons of people still want to get a PS3, but getting one, and actually shelling over $650 in hard earned cash, is another thing entirely. ($650 price is with tax added and rounded off).

paying somebody $650 is a helluva lotta money for what is basically a toy. I'm thinking that alot of youngsters just aren't going to be able to handle that, and they will turn to the 360 or Wii. The Ebay profiteers aren't going to budge though. They will buy each and every PS3 they can get their grubby little hands on. They know that older gamers with more $$ on their hands will pay the piper.

If Sony was smart, they would sell the PS3 only in special bundles. For example, you would be required to buy 3 PS3 games, from a list of 7 (of course, all 7 would be first party games). You would also be required to buy one additional controller, and another accessory. That would eliminate a ton of the problems right there. Ebay profiteers would have to think long and hard about forking over that much bank to try to flip it

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

If Sony was smart, they would sell the PS3 only in special bundles. For example, you would be required to buy 3 PS3 games, from a list of 7 (of course, all 7 would be first party games). You would also be required to buy one additional controller, and another accessory. That would eliminate a ton of the problems right there. Ebay profiteers would have to think long and hard about forking over that much bank to try to flip it
    So now you would have to buy 3 games too? I think they've done PLENTY to turn people off already, another bullshit $$$ requirement in the form of mandated games purchases sure as hell wouldn't help them any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

a lottery would be good....as long as im one of the ppl selected to get one.....yes, im actually gonna fork over $650 to buy a new ps3 at launch (or as close to launch as i can get)
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not buying it at launch, but I always thought first come first served was the way to do it. How does this go over with pre-orders? Are they out the window? So anybody could just sign up at any time and have an equal chance of getting one? Seems to favour the fence sitters to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    As if the $600 price tag didn't discourage enough people from getting a PS3 at launch, now they want to do a lottery system? What happened to the good old days when retailers just stocked merchandise on store shelves and it was sold to people on a first come, first serve basis?

Screw that. I'm buying a 360 instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

interesting since i'm a manager at a gamestop, and i never heard of this. There have been talks about taking them in october though. It's ganna be real rough considering only 5 mil. shipping world wide for the holiday season. but yea never heard about this lotteray deal so take it with a grain of salt.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount
    win a chance to spend $600 dollars! alright!

wooo freakin hooo!!!!! what a country!!!
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i do not really see the benefit retailers have for preorders, it just seems like a lot of extra work for a product that will sell out anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think that any future systems that come out should not ship until they have enough to go around. Its frustrating for everybody and for some people it can be unhealthy (waiting up all night in the rain/snow in front of a store). I'm sure people get thier asses kicked too whenever there are arguements at stores or anything like that. I'm one of those people who can't wait to buy systems at launch time, but i like to pre-order them when i know its gonna be a hot item. I hope they just use the usual method that they've been doing. I don't want to make purchasing a PS3 become a 3 day long headache with no sleep to find out that my number is 2 but only numbers 1 and 3 get PS3s

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    i do not really see the benefit retailers have for preorders, it just seems like a lot of extra work for a product that will sell out anyway.
    That's easy. If they get your money before they get the product, they can invest it say and turn it into more than what you'd pay.

(Not that retailers invest money in the stock market like this, but they do use it to buy other items that turn around faster and earn money that way).

Back to the topic at hand:

At first I thought it was really stupid. Like I need another reason not to want a PS3 (the price is more than enough, thank you).

After mulling it over, though, it doesn't bother me as much. If I did want one, I'd rather know ahead of time I might not get it (using this lottery thing) as opposed to putting down my $50 and finding out that I *didn't* get mine on launch day because of shortages.

It doesn't change my mind about buying one (I won't, not on launch day anyway), but it's not the horrible idea I first thought it was.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll shit myself if there's any shortages of this system or long lines, or stories of PS3s selling for$22k on eBay. Why would there be? Most people just can NOT spend $700+ for a system, a game, and tax..

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0) SolidZach's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaimaga Blows Out Final Fantasy XIII
    Popular Japanese magazine reveals several new details for both upcoming PS3 RPGs.
    by Anoop Gantayat
    May 31, 2006 - The latest batch of Japan's biggest monthly game magazines have made their way out following E3, and contained within are juicy new details on Final Fantasy XIII. The July issues of Hyper PlayStation and Gaimaga (the latter formerly known as Dori-Maga) provide new hints on what we can expect from the bothPS3 entries.

Motomu Toriyama, director of the main FFXIII title for the PS3, revealed to Gaimaga that scenario work for his project is 80% complete, with the game's visual engine, running on actual PS3 hardware, being nearly finished. "Now," he said, "is the time for the true start of FFXIII."

Final Fantasy Versus XIII appears to be trailing in development. "Absolutely nothing has been done on the actual scenario," director and character designer Tetsuya Nomura revealed to Gaimaga. "However, I've had the plot worked out for some time, so you could say I'm discussing the plot and concept with the staff. However, we've yet to start actual work on the scenario."

Toriyama and Versus producer Shinji Hashimoto defended the decision to release FFXIII on the PS3. According to Hashimoto, the development staff determined that one DVD would not be enough for the type of visual expression they were attempting to make. Toriyama noted that, regarding visual expression, the PS3's shader abilities are a big factor.

Series producer Yoshinori Kitase pointed out that the use of shaders has caused some difficulties with development. Making a standard texture, something that would have been done with a PS2 game, would typically require the work of just one designer. With the switch to shaders, designers and programmers have to be paired up, resulting in some logistical difficulties.

Kitase has some insight into the differences in making a game for the PS2 as opposed to the PS3. As announced at the FFXIII unveiling press conference at E3, Final Fantasy XIII development originally started on the PS2. This was approximately two to three years ago. Following their work on the Final Fantasy VII technical demonstration from last year's E3, the development staff started anew on the PS3 -- tossing everything they'd created for FFXIII up to that point. "We're truly making everything from scratch," commented Kitase in regard to the game's White Engine. "We're currently at the step where we're attempting to make an easy development environment."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just like the release of Windows

Be the first to own a PS3?
    Why?
    Can any one tell me why I would want to buy the beta ver. of PS3?

Just like the PS2 or 360, read disc errors or cooling fan issues, send it back to get warranteed, waiting for weeks/months to get it fixed & shipped back?....
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!