Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Game Stop Noob story!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sigh. I see we have YAGSEBGBITST.

(Yet Another "GameStop/EB Games/Babbage's Is Teh Suxxors" Thread)
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

the interesting thing is, mario advance 4 has dropped to $20 dollars new in all locations (that im aware of), gamestop, eb and otherwise. i just picked up a new one about 2 weeks ago for 20$

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mostly good, but when it's bad, it's sucks!

I still ask and get manuals and cases when I ask for them, even for games I bought loose over a month prior.....I usually ask the same person I bought the game from or the manager. This is were the extra E3 shirts come into play. I give managers of the stores (chain stores and mom & pop) I deal with an exclusive E3 crew shirt (zero cost to me) and save thousands over the coarse of the year.
    More than once, the managers of the GS I go to, have given me 6" stacks of original game manuals for GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES and PSX, I guess they needed room in the drawers for the higher priced/newer games!

Now the messed up part of Gamestop....besides the overpricing on newer games.
    I won't be buying ANY new games from Gamestop since the time I bought FF11 for PC and I didn't get all the registration codes for the game. All I got was the buddy pass codes, by the time my kid told me about it, Gamestop didn't know where the other registration codes were. So now, when I buy new, I want to open the wrapper!

FYI: For all the N64 collectors, Gamestop will be dumping all their N64 carts just befor the PS3 hits the shelves, keep your eyes open for some great deals.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know if I don't like a store, its employees or they way they do business, I stop shopping there. it really isn't a big deal. It also doesn't help to tell an employee that it is over priced when he has no control over what the price is.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never shop any of there stores, there's something call the internet and the flea market. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LOB3
    PSN
    GoldyK
    3DS Friend
    0817-3747-2478
    Steam
    segarocks30

Ya, I mean really, though, don't put the poor dude through hell for something he didn't have anything to do with it. Well he coulda at least said:

"Sorry sir, I have nothing to do with the prices and i also think it's stupid." He was trying to sell something to you, that's his job. But..He was pretty much trying to rip you off so he was an ass and fine in certain ways.

I dislike GS because at mine, they have very limited selections. Their employees have been fine. I've only dealt with one asshole VG Store employee, and that was at EB. What happened was, I saw Rolo for the Genesis there. I didn't get at the day, so, I called maybe a week later. It was almost complete (No Manual). So I call EB. This idiot picks up...

Idiot: "Hello, EB Games( all the other gibber)"
    Me: "Hello, I was wondering if you have Rolo To The Rescue..."

Now the idiot doesn't even check the store for the game!

Idiot: "Oh, we haven't had that game for a long time"
    Me: "Wow, strange, I saw it like a week ago..."
    Then we end call. I then come to the store. Before that, he actually finally checked, and still said it wasn't there. I Went over to the all the complete Genny games. There it fucking is. The bastard only looked in the LOOSE games! Oh, my, that was funny.
    Dance Dance Toejam and Earl!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do they make commission on used games or something? Every time (rarely) I buy games from one of the stores, they always ask me if I want to buy the game used, and then tell me their money back garuntee even if the used copy costs one dollar less..

I dont get where all these complaints come from.. I go to the mall often and usually visit an EBX while I am there. The guys are usually pretty chill, and will tell you if a game flat out sucks, and give you an honest opinion not to mention they usually DONT reccomend trade ins, yeah, numerous occasions they suggested I just keep the game instead of getting shafted..

I do have to admit that its pretty weird, the moment I walk in somebody working there will ask me if I want to trade in my games while my hands are empty and I have a blank stare, but heh whatever..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just hope none of you guys shop at my store, . if you know the game is cheaper brand new someplace else just shut up and go buy it there.
    listen......you smell something??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Default GameStop

Hehe..gamestop is such a pos. I went in there about a month or two ago to trade in some games (knowing that I was getting ripped off, but wanted to buy a game that day due to boredom) and the girl that worked there told me she couldn't trade in my new games. I asked her what she was talking about and she told me my copy of Golden Sun was new and she wouldn't take it.

As i'm sure most of you can understand the game was complete and perfect in the box with the plastic wrap on but most definetely opened. I always slit the top of my gba boxes plastic and leave it on to keep it in perfect shape. She then told me that they have a policy on new game trade-ins and the store will not allow them to accept them. I told her that I like to take care of my stuff and as if I was talking to a wall she said she couldn't take new games. I didnt feel like arguing since all I was going to get was a nice fat F-ing rip off price anyway. Afterwards, she stated that I could go make it look used and bring it back another day.

I can see how the store would have a policy regarding new games. Obviously there are dumbass thiefs who come in wanting to trade these games in, but what is that going to do to stop them? I had my nephew with me and I am without question a normal, decent and polite person. What a bitch and what a stupid ass store.

Next time you go to gamestop make sure to "Shitty-Up" your games before the trade-in because they might just decide your a thief with "new" stolen goods.

I do try and shop at GameCrazy as much as I can now and although the experience is usually more positive then GS it could be better. But what can we really expect from teenagers who make minimum wage at a national chain store?

Oh and btw, for the people that were getting on the topic creators case about "go somewhere else" etc etc You guys have no idea, you must be previous or future GameStop employees. Anyone decent knows the kind of BS and idiots good people have to put up with there.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Flea Markets will also overprice some games as well. I was at one last year, and some guy was selling Secret of Mana (cart only) for $54!! And Contra III: Alien Wars (SNES - cart only) was $18.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll chime in with my GS opinion. The GS I shop at has been both a good and bad experience depending on who works there.

The Good: Back when Popolocrois came out I was desperate for a game for my PSP so I picked it up. A couple of hours into the game I was bored to tears. The GS that I bought it from used to have a policy where they would accept returns on new games within 7 days (I know this for a fact having used it before) so I attempt to return it. The policy was gone, and they offered me like $14 trade in, so that was somewhere between $20 and $25 down the crapper. However, the manager knew how often I shopped there and decided to let me return the game for full price.

The Bad: Not too long after the Pikmin 2 price drop I go by to buy it hoping they have some non GH copies left. They guy behind the counter pulls out a GH copy and I get some resistance when I ask him to see if they have an old version in. That isn't the bad part. When I ask if they have it used, some other jackass from behind the counter starts laughing at me, saying that there is no way they would have Pikmin 2 used.

The bad experience wasn't too terrible, I just don't appreciate condescending attitudes from clerks. But I think it illustrates that it really isn't GameStop as an institution that is flawed, it depends on who works there, IMHO.
    http://users.ign.com/collection/Yoshukai

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/OmertaGT.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, yeah the original poster is a definite asshole and I see nothing wrong with how they treated you. I love how you say "I told him it was still a ripoff (I was polite BTW)" so if I say you're a jackass but have a polite tone you wont be annoyed? They push the used stuff with all those standard lines because the store makes more money on used sales and they are told to do push those. Its obvious you knew he couldnt change the price but you kept pushing and pushing trying to get a reaction, I think that says far more about your character and attitude than his.

Your friend on the other hand has a right to be pissed, if theres a manual in the display there is no reason they shouldnt give it to them.

I dont think you guys on your high horse understand that there is several people like this who come into that store every day and some are alot worse, so try being nice and you will most likely get it in return.

Whats funny is that there are stories about "All EBs Suck" or ALl GS's have employees with bad attitudes" but it all comes down to the few stores you've been to, all companies have some bad stores with dumbasses running them. I personally have only been to a couple EBs that I liked and alot more GameStops.

And all I can say about the guy with a Ph D is Wow, just wow.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ask the right person

If you frequent the same stores and spend $$ on a semi-regular basis, the manager can give discounts, I think he rang it up under 'competitors discount' or something like that. He verified by phone the cost and sold it for the same price.
    Gamestop manager called Blockbuster/Game*whatever.
    I spend a lot at a couple of stores, instead of a little at a lot of stores. This tends to get me a little respect from the managers/owners.

The only thing you can do about the rude tude is to let the management know and take your $$ somewhere else, when they see the monthly sales drop and don't see you for a while, they figure out their problems and fix them.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can understand your frustration for sure. I hate buying anything from them because it looks like it was first used as toilet paper before being put on the shelf, and then they added like 20 stickers to the damn case. That's if it's complete. Otherwise it's a row of nice blue cases with all the game titles written in marker. I'd just much rather buy any new game where I work and get a nice discount. NO reason to bother with that store ever again.

I don't think you should have complained that much about the price though, that stuff's beyond their control. I kind of side with the guy on his attitude because I get the same thing people at best buy all the time regarding mostly DVDs. OMFG, 24.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF MAN, YOU ASSHOLES......

I don't decide the prices!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

He shoulda totally been like "Oh shit its cheaper somewhere else!?" Then sold it to you for 2$ because he owns Gamestop.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

well i guess i am lucky our game stop here is still called Software Ect. and they suck ass i dont go in there any more.

the EB down a littl ways form software is alright, i have had the guys lower the price for me on some things because they couldnt sell it. they offered to lower the price on a console only SNES but they said it would only go as low as $20 (regularly $25)....at the same time though they dont know any thing older than sex box and PS2....they know about The Wizzard but thats about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in the same town as Niku. Our town isn't like most others.. for years and years the ONLY gaming chain in town was Software etc.. If you wanted more personal service you went to the only mom & pop store in town (here for years as well) but that guy (the owner) has always been kind of rude.. but he's probably in a bad mood because he never sells squat. He's WAY overpriced, and he gives next to nothing in trades (his "stock" sucks too).

Then we recently got an EB in the mall (Is THAT what it is Niku? I've only been in it a couple of times.) and a Game Crazy in the local Hollywood Video on my end of town. Medford is kind of a weird-assed place. I mean seriously. Most EB's and Software Etc's shut down in bigger cities years ago only to be replaced by bigger superchains (Game Crazy or Game Stop.. we don't have one) and here we are JUST getting these older chains in here. Because most of them are new.. some don't even WANT to deal in 8 or 16-bit games. They "TRY" NOT to deal in them, but they'll take them in trade and give you next to nothing for them.

For the most part.. the workers are teenagers.. but for the most part.. they're also friendly. I'm 49 years old; and I can talk with the best of them. There's a guy at our Game Crazy that's into Mecha games, and we can talk for hours. I'll tell ya' though.. when I've been in these stores I've seen the majority of clientele they serve. In our town (also known as "poverty city") I've seen some REAL social rejects and "lonely" people in these places. Parents even drop off their "latchkey" kids in them for babysitting sometimes it seems. The employees seem helpless when it comes to this and I've seen 12 and 13 year old kids try and talk to these poor people for hours on end about any drivel they can come up with. You can tell they are bored but they're always polite, maybe because so few kids here in town have that "dream job" of working in a video game store that they actually APPRECIATE it. I've seen them put up with endless amounts of crap from ignorant, clueless customers.. and smile.

I DO think it's kind of funny though.. the way some of you guys lump ALL employees of any given superchain into one profile (rude, nice, etc.). It's like you think they all come out of a mold somewhere or maybe they process them like the Necromongers did the converts in the Chronicles of Riddick.
    Do they send them to GameStop U or something?

I've always wanted to work in a game store (even at my age) but there's no amount of money that could make me do it here.. locally.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

yea its eb that came here a year or 2 ago.

although its near by i dont go to game crazy too often and the mom and pop store (the game exchange down by marie callenders) is closed for good now soo....flea markets i guess.

i should go to game crazy more often its close by, i managed to get a NES challenge set for $40 there in box...its in awsome shape how ever the manuals dissappeared from wheni saw it the first visit to when i came back to buy it. also the last time i was at game crazy some chick asked me at the door if i had any money....i gave her a lottery ticket i hadnt checked but it werided me out...and i have put up with this place all my life and it still werided me out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    also the last time i was at game crazy some chick asked me at the door if i had any money....i gave her a lottery ticket i hadnt checked but it werided me out...and i have put up with this place all my life and it still werided me out.
    ..SERIOUSLY? Was it the little blonde bimbo? She shouldn't even be working there.. she's kind of snooty (I'd like to see here end up at Taco Bell) or was it the little petite brunette with the tattoos down here arm? She's actually very nice; and knows games.

I also remember being in there once and there was a female manager calling people for job interviews (and having a hard time getting anybody to come in I remember).

Game Exchange went out of business? Does he still have his first store open out on N Pacific Hwy? I remember when he opened the newer store in town.. I couldn't believe he was actually going to keep them BOTH open.. because his business was so poor to begin with. I knew his second store wouldn't last long.. everytime I went in there.. I was alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Poofta, that's not true. Retailers like EB aren't selling Super Mario Advance 4 for $20. You must be thinking of the recent players choice rereleases of Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 and Super Mario Advance.