Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Game Stop Noob story!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: Another Game Stop Noob story!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    That is why I shop at Game Crazy now.
    Why does everyone sing the praises of Game Crazy when they're simply the lesser of the remaining evils?

Their games are the same beat up, untested crap as everyone else. (although after a 3 for $15 PS1 buying frenzy I go in the next day "these all skip" and get them all buffed out and resurfaced for free) They open brand new games that no one wants to play because "they're new releases, go ahead and open them in case someone wants to try them out" and then sell the opened games as new. Now if there's a problem with that game that THEY opened before you purchased it, you cannot return it as new. If you gave it as a gift and the person already had it, it cannot be returned as new. THEY opened it, when you weren't even in the store, the ONE copy they may have gotten in... you as the purchaser didn't say "I'd like to try that..." they did it on their own, and now you get the shaft. Where if the game was sealed there would be no problem at all. My time on both sides of the counter at GameCrazy was a big awakening to the morons at the highest levels in these companies - I knew they weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but oh man...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana
    Wow, yeah the original poster is a definite asshole and I see nothing wrong with how they treated you. I love how you say "I told him it was still a ripoff (I was polite BTW)" so if I say you're a jackass but have a polite tone you wont be annoyed? They push the used stuff with all those standard lines because the store makes more money on used sales and they are told to do push those. Its obvious you knew he couldnt change the price but you kept pushing and pushing trying to get a reaction, I think that says far more about your character and attitude than his.

Your friend on the other hand has a right to be pissed, if theres a manual in the display there is no reason they shouldnt give it to them.

I dont think you guys on your high horse understand that there is several people like this who come into that store every day and some are alot worse, so try being nice and you will most likely get it in return.

Whats funny is that there are stories about "All EBs Suck" or ALl GS's have employees with bad attitudes" but it all comes down to the few stores you've been to, all companies have some bad stores with dumbasses running them. I personally have only been to a couple EBs that I liked and alot more GameStops.

And all I can say about the guy with a Ph D is Wow, just wow.
    Well said.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    Hmm....why say anything at all?
    ..his GIRLFRIEND was with him! (I think it's required.)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, I went down the street to an EB in Mansfield and those guys were great; A lot better experience than GS in Arlington. I thought I read that EB and GS had merged so I wasn't expecting much difference. I think the difference really was that the guys at EB were a bit older and knew how to deal with people better than those kids at GS.

I've read other people's comments and it does seem to be a mixed bag. For you that work at these places, do they still teach you that the customer is always right? Just wondering because it seems some of you have similar attitude issues.

My dissertation comment was made about that particular GS since they really were a bunch of morons, probably similar to the employees others have experienced. Just give people a SHRED of respect, that is all it takes. You are in customer service so suck it up and have a better attitude. This is what I did when I worked customer service many moons ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ask the right person

Quote Originally Posted by videogameoverdose
    If you frequent the same stores and spend $$ on a semi-regular basis, the manager can give discounts, I think he rang it up under 'competitors discount' or something like that. He verified by phone the cost and sold it for the same price.
    Gamestop manager called Blockbuster/Game*whatever.
    I spend a lot at a couple of stores, instead of a little at a lot of stores. This tends to get me a little respect from the managers/owners.

The only thing you can do about the rude tude is to let the management know and take your $$ somewhere else, when they see the monthly sales drop and don't see you for a while, they figure out their problems and fix them.
    Yeah the manager can price match if another store has the same NEW product in stock cheaper, but they are not supposed to change any prices on the used stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sothy
    He shoulda totally been like "Oh shit its cheaper somewhere else!?" Then sold it to you for 2$ because he owns Gamestop.
    Thats beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Then we recently got an EB in the mall (Is THAT what it is Niku? I've only been in it a couple of times.) and a Game Crazy in the local Hollywood Video on my end of town. Medford is kind of a weird-assed place. I mean seriously. Most EB's and Software Etc's shut down in bigger cities years ago only to be replaced by bigger superchains (Game Crazy or Game Stop.. we don't have one) and here we are JUST getting these older chains in here.
    Well you got 2 GameStops now, Software Etc was bought by them a long time ago they just must not have changed the name on it for some reason, and EB is part of GameStop now too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys that are bashing me aren't understanding me, I told him it was a ripoff once and just wanted to keep browsing, I was looking with my fiance at rest of the GBA games and was trying to mind my business and he kept going on and on. I for the most part ignored him but I finally just told him it was too much and he kept going on and on. I like Game Crazy a lot more now, when you go in they are like hay, how's it going lately (in any store) Game Stop is always like "what'd ya come in for?" they always have a lesser degree of customer service. I don't normally shop there but Game Crazy was low on GBA games this time around.

I don't like Gamestops attitude about scratched games either, I've asked why they sell games that are in such bad shape, they replied "games with scratches will play just fine and the scratches don't matter" Game Crazy on the other hand is aware of bad games, I tell them or the manager about a game that is in bad shape and he says I'll buff it for you, or "Wow that's in bad shape I'm gonna write that one off because it'll get returned anyway." He then throws it away. I just don't like GS for that reason. Like I said I dont' normally shop there because I don't like their customer service, It was just this one time and I didn't try to keep the employee going, I wanted him to shut up but he didn't.

EB on the other hand has been a lot better now and I actually make frequent visits though I don't buy much for the fact that GC gives better prices.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshukai
    The bad experience wasn't too terrible, I just don't appreciate condescending attitudes from clerks. But I think it illustrates that it really isn't GameStop as an institution that is flawed, it depends on who works there, IMHO.
    There's two Gamestops locally that I only go to as last resorts because of the condescending douchebags that work behind the counter at them.

One of the local Gamestops is really hit an miss, with some of the employees being reasonably cool/nice/friendly and some being cold/distant/assholish.

The EB up at Penn Square (the only place to get N-Gage games anymore ) seems to hire some pretty cool people, though. It's a shame it's so far away, but when we're up in that area of the city I always make it a point to swing by and check out their inventory.

For anyone that complains on the intarweb about their local Gamestops, have you ever taken the time to GameStopFeedback and tell them what you thought about your shopping experience? Whenever someone dicks me around I always make it a point to drop some feedback and request for a manager to call me back.

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    I can understand your frustration for sure. I hate buying anything from them because it looks like it was first used as toilet paper before being put on the shelf, and then they added like 20 stickers to the damn case. That's if it's complete. Otherwise it's a row of nice blue cases with all the game titles written in marker. I'd just much rather buy any new game where I work and get a nice discount. NO reason to bother with that store ever again.
    God, and it's only going to get worse. I've been noticing in recent months that the generic blue case games are starting to outnumber the complete copies by a wider and wider margain and some employees seem to have a hard time grasping that while I may be looking for a game, I'm not going to buy an incomplete copy of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't try to complain, all I said is that is way overpriced. I wanted to leave it at that, he just went on and on trying to push the game on me, he was acting like he was working on commission and it was his first day there. I really wanted to tell him to shut up but I was tired and not in the mood for a war.

They don't get commision, but they are treated like they are. I have 2 good friends that are the manager and assistant manager and the locan EB/Gamestop. They have to meet a certain quota of used games sold, warranties sold, and pre-orders sold. I know that guy probably seemed like an ass, but if her doesn't get so many he will get written up or possibly fired. That company is a worthless piece of shit. They constantly call them and threaten them because they haven't met their percentages for the month and so on. I only buy there because I didn't know these guys before i met them there and we became good friends because they recognize I'm a gamer/collector and talk to me about the stuff all the time and treat me real good. So i buy from them to support their livelyhood. Otherwise I could care less if gamestop went belly up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They don't get commision, but they are treated like they are. I have 2 good friends that are the manager and assistant manager and the locan EB/Gamestop. They have to meet a certain quota of used games sold, warranties sold, and pre-orders sold. I know that guy probably seemed like an ass, but if her doesn't get so many he will get written up or possibly fired. That company is a worthless piece of shit. They constantly call them and threaten them because they haven't met their percentages for the month and so on. I only buy there because I didn't know these guys before i met them there and we became good friends because they recognize I'm a gamer/collector and talk to me about the stuff all the time and treat me real good. So i buy from them to support their livelyhood. Otherwise I could care less if gamestop went belly up.

Yeah it's a shame, I used to love going into GS the employees were great and they constantly got a new selection of trade ins, now it's like everone just unloads the junk on them. I don't get why they won't require a game to have at least the case, I can understand the manual missing but not the case. I guess their corporate is just plain ignorant. I bet used game sales would be through the roof if they all had cases.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you were out of line vintagegamecrazy. It is their store and you have a choice of where to shop and buy your goods. I don't always like the people working behind counters and they can give you some crappy service but ultimately since you're the consumer if they don't satisfy you just go elsewhere. Personally I shop at GS, EB, BB, and CC for new games. If I want older games used it's time to wonder over to pawn shops and privately owned game stores. Privately runned places are also really nice because they know how to take care of their customers and bring them back over and over.

The other day at a pawn shop I usually go to at least once a week and nearly everytime purchase games, computer hardware, speaker boxes, ect. pissed me off pretty bad. There's 1 employee that whenever I bring items up to the counter she tosses out prices from her ass and under her voice calls me a cheap'o and a shopper just trying to rip them off when prices are clearly marked or items are misplaced to other bins.
    Example yesterday:
    A bin that said "2 for $1" had all their N64 and SNES games in it so I grabbed what I wanted and there were no price tags stuck to the backs or colored dots to represent value. When I got to the counter to confirm pricing she gave me an evil look and in a snoty voice: "All N64 games $4 each, not 2 for $1" and that pissed me off because they were racing games. Then when I asked about the return policy on a RAM stick I planned on getting she said 1 day. As a follow up I simply asked what the return would be, like would I get cash back. Then she snickered and was said "NO! Only credit for another item" as if I knew their policy because I've never returned things there. So because I only wanted 1 stick for $10 instead of both sticks for $20 she got all pissed and quicky rung me up and as I left instantly started talking to another employee about me being an ass. IF she's there again and once again treats me like complete SHIT I'll be talking to their manager. She's been there for a few weeks now and has horrible customer service.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    ..SERIOUSLY? Was it the little blonde bimbo? She shouldn't even be working there.. she's kind of snooty (I'd like to see here end up at Taco Bell) or was it the little petite brunette with the tattoos down here arm? She's actually very nice; and knows games.

I also remember being in there once and there was a female manager calling people for job interviews (and having a hard time getting anybody to come in I remember).

Game Exchange went out of business? Does he still have his first store open out on N Pacific Hwy? I remember when he opened the newer store in town.. I couldn't believe he was actually going to keep them BOTH open.. because his business was so poor to begin with. I knew his second store wouldn't last long.. everytime I went in there.. I was alone.
    no no no it was some trashy looking customer. yea its true they may have hardships but to ask for money in front of a game store? fred meyer mabe woulda got something outa me.

the game exchange hasnt been out on the highway for quite some time, the reason he kept both open for a while isbecause he ran that trailer place behind the shop on the highway...or so i am told.

its kinda sad, when the game exchange was in the gi joes shopping center it did really well, there were always lots of people in there but thats when i was a kid and before these other places came to town....i think it was a different owner too i am not sure.

if there were more people in this valley who were into this type of collecting theres a huge open market for it but i donno....huge risk at the same time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry.. I thought you were talking like the store wanted you to show some cash before they let you in the door. That WOULD be the epitome of rudeness.

Yeah you see a lot of "unfortunates" hanging around FM. That's because Bear Creek runs behind the shopping center.

"Remember kids.. stay in school.. or you'll end up.. living in a van.. DOWN by the RIVER!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys that are bashing me aren't understanding me, I told him it was a ripoff once and just wanted to keep browsing, I was looking with my fiance at rest of the GBA games and was trying to mind my business and he kept going on and on. I for the most part ignored him but I finally just told him it was too much and he kept going on and on. I like Game Crazy a lot more now, when you go in they are like hay, how's it going lately (in any store) Game Stop is always like "what'd ya come in for?" they always have a lesser degree of customer service. I don't normally shop there but Game Crazy was low on GBA games this time around.

I don't like Gamestops attitude about scratched games either, I've asked why they sell games that are in such bad shape, they replied "games with scratches will play just fine and the scratches don't matter" Game Crazy on the other hand is aware of bad games, I tell them or the manager about a game that is in bad shape and he says I'll buff it for you, or "Wow that's in bad shape I'm gonna write that one off because it'll get returned anyway." He then throws it away. I just don't like GS for that reason. Like I said I dont' normally shop there because I don't like their customer service, It was just this one time and I didn't try to keep the employee going, I wanted him to shut up but he didn't.

EB on the other hand has been a lot better now and I actually make frequent visits though I don't buy much for the fact that GC gives better prices.
    Ok well in your original post you said you told him it was a ripoff 3 times, but even if it was just once it is still very rude. Maybe no one taught you but here is the polilte way to handle that situation and next time I can virtually guarantee the employee would treat you well:

You:"hey how much is that Super MArio Advance 4 there?"
    Him:"Its $29.99"
    you:"Oh really? I just saw it brand new at Target for $29.99, can you lower that at all?"
    Him:"No, sorry thats the price we have to stick too but our used games are a good deal - <7 Day return, Discount with card, Guaranteed, etc,.>"
    You:"Oh thats cool, but I'd really like a new one."
    Him:"Okay, let me see if we have it for you and we might be able to match their price, hang on..."
    You:"Okay thanks alot!" (optional: pump your fist in the air and say "Yay, GameStop Rocks!")

And about how GameCrazy is "nicer" because they dont "push stuff" on you, whether you like it or not its that environment that sells stuff and is why GameStop is the biggest video game retailer now and not Game Crazy. Because they make more money and push the money makers (i.e. used stuff) (BTW I dont mind GC they have some good stuff and decent prices) But on the other hand I have seen the other side also and it can suck to work in that environment with that kind of pressure, theres always 2 sides.

About the scratched games - it all depends on the store, some will take trades in virtually any condition and not charge a fee to send them away to be fixed and some are very very picky about what they take.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

The only experiences I have had there were.

I bought the TMNT trilogy dvds for my nephew for christmas, the manager (no longer working there) gave my girlfriend the dvds. We wrap them up. Christmas morn and my nephew rips them open. I am busy opening my own packages and he says "ha ha very funny" I question this, and walk over there. The cases were empty. We did go back and get them though. It twas quite humorous.

and this didn't happen to me, but I was in there one day and some 13 year oldish kid brought in his n64 for trade. The girl at the counter was looking it over, and then got this odd look on her face. She looks at the kid angrily and then asks "Why does the n64 smell like chicken?" or "why does it smell like you stuck chicken in your n64?" (one of those two, I forget how she worded it) I had to leave due to laughing.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think maybe part of the problem is you came at him with the word rip-off. It immediatley puts the retailer/employee on the defensive.

It kinda reminds me of the time a lady came in to buy Chronicals of Narnia for PC. Someone accidentally put a used price sticker price on it versus the new one. She brings it up to the cash register and I scan the upc and give her the total. "Oh god! How much is your tax rate here?!" I tell her it's about 7.5%. "Oh, wait..." I said, "we accidentally put the wrong price on this one. It's normally new for $39.99."

Now this happens sometimes...no big deal. It was only a $5 dollar difference. I usually just change the price to what it's marked and let it go. I say it's mismarked, bend over to the register to fix it, but this time before I even get my hands to the keyboard to start the change she screams, "What a rip-off!" In my head I just laugh and think, "Well...there went ANY chance you just had for me helping you." She literally flipped out. She demanded I change it. I flat looked her in the face and said, "I usually do that...in fact I was going to this time before you even yelled, but not now. You can pay $39.99 or you can not buy it."

This was at X-mas time so of course the store was packed. People were just staring at her and she knew it. I don't think she wanted to lose in front of all those people and finally pulled out the "Haven't you heard the phrase that the Customer is always right?!" card. My custom retort (which was the 4th time and counting I've used it...I'm up to 6 now) was "Yes, it was coined in 1842 in Scotland by Mickey McWrongCustomer."

Always remember, the flipside of the coin is that as many stories that you have about dick store employees...they have just as many stories about dick customers.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason I don't go to Gamestop any more is because of this sign I saw on one of the shelves:

AS OF JUNE 1st, GAMESTOP WILL NO LONGER BE SELLING PLAYSTATION 1 OR NINTENDO 64 GAMES
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

You're not welcome!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTNIK666
    The reason I don't go to Gamestop any more is because of this sign I saw on one of the shelves:

AS OF JUNE 1st, GAMESTOP WILL NO LONGER BE SELLING PLAYSTATION 1 OR NINTENDO 64 GAMES
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

You're not welcome!
    Actually its that they wont be BUYING them anymore but they will still sell through the rest of the games they have, it will probably be condensed to less stores like the SNES and Genny games were.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I can honestly say it all depends on which store i go to and who is working that day. The best/most helpful employees are the ones that have been there for years. The ones that piss me off and the ones I catch lying to me are the ones I only see working a couple times and never see again. Usualy I can tell which employees are dicks and which ones are cool when i ask them for specific rare titles (just for shits and giggles). They cool employees tell me that "the game is wicked hard to find man, chances are you'll have to go on ebay and pay the price for it." the asshole employees will go

worker: "are you serious, I can't believe you are asking me for that game right now!"

me: "well i figured you wouldn't have it but I guess it never hurts to ask."

worker: "yes it does, you won't find that game...I have this and this and this at home because somebody traded it in here and i had first picks and blah blah blah."

but i think that guy got fired cause i haven't seen him there since then. Eventually unless the guy running the store is a retard, the bad employees will get tossed. I got a gamestop near my house that has some hotties working there. I don't bother to hit on them though because I'd probably be guy number 30,674 that came into the store looking for a date with the almost non existant "hot gamer girl"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 2 times I went to Gamestop to get the Zelda Collecters Disk - I even asked to look at both, the had 2..I picked up the better copy

the 2nd time was I traded in Contra for the Game Boy..The gave me $8 in Credit for DOA 3..When I was on the trian they gave me the Conta Advanca Credit besides the GB version

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with the others. By proclaiming that the game is a ripoff, you put the employee on the defensive right away.

You were at fault here OP.