Thread: To clutter, or not to clutter?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default To clutter, or not to clutter?

hi there, y'all.

so, anyways, I've seen a recent trend in some of the more better game rooms around DP; they tend to display their action figures, toys, etc. out in the open. now I have tons of Video-Game related do-dads, but I keep them all in a big ol' nintendo box. why? because all of my dickhead friends tend to piss me off by taking stuff off-of my shelves and tossing it around the room. although it kinda does look nice, I just can't have any of my more smaller prized valuables right were the monkeys of the zoo can wreck them.

so my question is this; is it better to have more cool stuff cramping up your room to make a better impression to the ones who respect it, or to keep those items away from the many asses of the world at the price of your masculinity?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the end, it's all up to you. All of my friends are adult and don't tend to toss my stuff around, so I feel quite comfortable leaving them out on the shelves.

Of course, I don't have tons of the little toys, but I have my fair share. I also find it makes the room look less sterile; wall to wall white shelving filled with games is interesting, but in a more library kind of way. The memorabilia, and boxes, really give it more of a fun filled interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All my gaming stuff is set out very nice and tidy in the Living Room. Shelves with all the games lined up neatly, and all the consoles tidily connected to the TV.

At the top of the stairs however, is my shelf of toys: Starwars Lego, Exo-Force Lego, Gundam model kits, Zoids, Ninja Turles Mega Bloks etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to keep my classic videogame items stowed away in containers in my closet. I try to keep my hobby to myself as far as with friends and family. Why, I don't know, I just tend to lead a private life. It's already bad enough that I keep a Commodore 64 set up in my living room in plain view. At least by keeping the stuff stowed away, I know it is kept safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently went through a de-cluttering of my game room. I decided having a few, well-placed items of interest appeals more to me than just having everything up all over the place. A few framed posters and signs on the walls, a ROB and other small memorabilia here and there and that's enough for me.

But I can understand wanting to have everything out as well. It's cool to just look around and say "wow!"
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: To clutter, or not to clutter?

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    hi there, y'all.

so, anyways, I've seen a recent trend in some of the more better game rooms around DP; they tend to display their action figures, toys, etc. out in the open. now I have tons of Video-Game related do-dads, but I keep them all in a big ol' nintendo box. why? because all of my dickhead friends tend to piss me off by taking stuff off-of my shelves and tossing it around the room. although it kinda does look nice, I just can't have any of my more smaller prized valuables right were the monkeys of the zoo can wreck them.

so my question is this; is it better to have more cool stuff cramping up your room to make a better impression to the ones who respect it, or to keep those items away from the many asses of the world at the price of your masculinity?
    I keep what I can out ..(I'm out of room)...I like to display Video-Game related action figures, toys, etc. as people who come here love to look at them..(conversations about them are then made)
    NONE: of my friends touch any of my stuff without asking..I guess because they know I have a very bad temper ....and they respect my stuff..

I'd say slap them around a bit and show them not to touch your stuff..

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

All things told, what you really need is a handgun in your gaming area. First jackass that starts "tossing" your stuff around can toss his brain matter over to a friend after you fire the first round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    All things told, what you really need is a handgun in your gaming area. First jackass that starts "tossing" your stuff around can toss his brain matter over to a friend after you fire the first round.
    My thoughts exactly.

In my RoD the operating rule is: "Keep your hands off the knicknacks or say hello to my little friend."

Here's my little friend, btw:

(...and there's a high-powered pellet gun in the desk for backup)

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    My thoughts exactly.

In my RoD the operating rule is: "Keep your hands off the knicknacks or say hello to my little friend."

Here's my little friend, btw:

(...and there's a high-powered pellet gun in the desk for backup)
    Nice AT4. They sure are fun to shoot.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I don't got a gun, but I have this really sweet axe, so...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

let me axe you something though.

which would be easier and quicker so less damage occurs, an axe or a gun?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Friends?

Come on now, Dickhead or otherwise, are they really friends?
    My buds won't think about disrespecting me or my stuff.
    Hell, my kids and their friends even know better.
    I'm not a bad ass or anything, but they all know the sweat, time and $$ I put into this crazy hobby.
    I've been at it for years, I think they enjoy it (I hope) as much as I do...they always call my cell from the swapmeets, yardsales or pawn shops when they come across videogame related oddities.
    Last week, I got a new Mario Kart N64 telephone in box ($3) from one such call.
    They even call me when someone wants to sell games, consoles and other common items....I always check it out and thank them, because I'll never know when they'll come across the next "Look what I found in the wild story!"

Maybe you need to find other friends who share in your interests and respect your belongings or maybe more mature friends. IMHO
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you should just knock some manners into them. Ask them to stop mishandling your stuff, and show them you're serious.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't recommend that you take this course of action, but if I had a lot of video games displayed in a room (which I don't), and my friends started messing around with it, I would threaten to put their pictures on the Internet.

This threat only works if your friends are children.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I use that to prevent anyone from touching or moving stuff without permisson, has worked wonders thus far.

on a side note, get new friends ;-)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

I prefer drop-kicks or a good old fashioned punch in the face. It's much manlier, a little less messy, and makes them suffer and possibly learn from their mistake.

I tear out the jugular vein if they persist. Tasty, tasty blood.

I keep my stuff all on display, except my games are tucked away just because I lack proper shelving. Systems and action figures do fine standing around, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default sarcasm alert

or have no friends.

problem solved.

You keep your games in great shape, and no one to steal your starburst.

win-win

life is good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: To clutter, or not to clutter?

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    why? because all of my dickhead friends tend to piss me off by taking stuff off-of my shelves and tossing it around the room.
    You know, that's EXACTLY the same thing with me.
    I have but one Nintendo related 'do-dad' as you say in my room. You know that Mario toy that's on a spring and you push in down and he pops up after a few seconds? Yeah, that one.
    Every time a friend comes into my room, they always go to that, pop him up, and it always gets dangerously close to knocking into one of my stacks of loose carts.
    Hide'em away, I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I used to have Star Trek ships mounted above me bed. DAMN I was a nerd. I suppose I still am. Fine. I am a nerd. A NERD I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friends are asses. Set them straight. Of course, "setting them straight" may result in more problems. They might respect your wishes and calm the f**k down, do it more since they know that it bothers you, or some combination of the two depending on their personalities.

I have a friend that I've known for almost ten years that is compelled to do shit to my computer when he's on it. Change the fonts. Organize shit. Download "useful" programs. He can no longer touch my computer, borrow DVDs, or hang out unattended. He's a great guy, very loyal, and I love him like a brother... but he's not to be trusted around certain items.

You'd hardly know I was a gamer by looking at my (small) loft... there's no gaming stuff in site (and no more Star Trek ships) except for the console of the moment sitting on the coffee table next to the TV (Dreamcast right now.) Give me two minutes and you won't see that, either.

Hell if I know. People suck.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~