Thread: Who can beat me in Mat Mania?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Who can beat me in Mat Mania?

Last night I got to round 24 and finally lost with a score of 250,000. If I had the time to devote, I think I might be able to get a Twin Galaxies score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I guess that means no one can. Now someone make me a sammich and a trophy. In that order, bitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Matmania? Man if I had some time I'd school your sorry 24th-round ass. I ruled at that game growing up and it's easy to play forever if you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Rule me? Boy I'd beat you down with a metal chair and wipe the mat with your noggin'!

(Trying to get a wrestling-vibe going here.)

Mat Mania was one of a couple of games my local convenient store had (along with Track and Field, Joust and Defender.) Due to where I lived the only place we could walk to or ride our bikes to was this convenient store, so we spent a lot of time there playing those games. I think the store owner finally got rid of Mat Mania when he realized we were playing it all day on one quarter (he made his money back selling us Chocolate Soldiers, chewy Sweet Tarts and, well, Penthouse magazines).

Mat Mania was the second arcade game I ever owned, and the first one I ever bought at an auction. Back before the public interest in retrogames and arcade games boomed, I paid $25 for it at an arcade, fully working.

The oddest thing about this game is that it never gets any harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Rule me? Boy I'd beat you down with a metal chair and wipe the mat with your noggin'!

(Trying to get a wrestling-vibe going here.)
    Now that you mention it, in my mind's eye I can see you right now standing next to a microphone-bearing Mean Gene Okerlund while you're yelling "Make me a sammich!" into the camera. I really miss those old-school promos.

Never got past round two of Mat Mania myself

(/Goes to make Flack his sammich)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The trick to Mat Mania is moving up and down, and not being greedy.

Whenever your opponent approaches you, you want to be standing "below" him (closer to the bottom of the screen). When he moves "down", continue punching and you'll get in the first shot. Then move down a little bit and do it again. After 3 times he'll be stunned, at which point 2 more punches puts him on the ground. Then you pick him up and throw him into the ropes a couple of times each way, introducing him to your foot each direction. If you do it more than twice he'll always reverse the headlock, which can be fatal depending on where you are in the fight. Some opponents never give you a second chance to get back on your feet.

So once you do that going down you can do it going back up and then you'll end up where once you've leveled the guy you can climb the turnbuckle and do a few flying leaps onto him (no more than 3). After a while it gets pretty routine and you can just win without even trying.

There are only 5 opponents. Insane Warrior and Pirranah are basically the same but with different masks. Then there's the Karate guy, Coco Savage, and whoever the champion is (the guy who looks like a cross between Hulk Hogan and Hacksaw Jim Duggan). Once you beat all five you are the champion and you just have to keep fighting the same people over and over in random order. They never get any smarter, faster or better. Basically you can play forever until you make one little mistake on a guy that won't let you stand up. Then you're screwed.

Someone should compile a list of all the typos in that game. I know during the beginning there's one. The one that always bugs me is "Coco Savage" is spelled both "Savage" and "Savege" on the same screen. I guess they weren't sure which was right so they would be correct in one place or the other!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aha! Thanks for the hints. I was hoping that a master would give tips!

FYI: See also "Exciting Hour," part of a two-game release by Dempa Micomsoft for x68000. The other half is some sumo wrestling thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In MAME, Exciting Hour is the exact same game as Mat Mania, with minor text changes. For example, Insane Warrior is now the Insane Worrier. Also the announcer's name is changed from Cody to Doty or something like that. The graphics, music, moves and everything else are identical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thought so, but hadn't tried it out quite yet.

Since I, uh, cheated my way (infinite coins) through Combatribes (hillarious last boss by the way), I'll have to give this a serious go.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

The champs name is Blues Bloody.

The difference between Exciting Hour and Mat Mania is that Exciting Hour is 1 player, player vs. comp, Mat Mania allows for player vs. player action.

Other than that there are small cosmetic changes that Flack mentioned.

BTW Flack, I'd definately take you up on that one man.

I usually play either MM or EH until I get bored.

The only comp player that I'll ever lose to is Coco Savage, and even then only if I get careless.

I'll have to make a pligrimage to an event sometime so we can duke it out, I'd love to take on another MM enthusiast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Are you thinking of Mania Challenge? In Mat Mania the champ's name is Golden Hulk (at least on the versions I've played), and it's 1 player only. I think (Mat) Mania Challenge, the sequel, is the 2 player one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my favs at the arcade, I think I played this game everyday for a year when I first discovered MAME. Made me get a HotRod Arcade control

Round 24 doesn't sound too bad, can't remember how far I got but yeah it does get the same ol', same ol' after awhile.

And in case you missed it, awesome webpage about Exciting Hour/Mat Mania:

http://zeroes.overclocked.org/exciting.htm

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Are you thinking of Mania Challenge? In Mat Mania the champ's name is Golden Hulk (at least on the versions I've played), and it's 1 player only. I think (Mat) Mania Challenge, the sequel, is the 2 player one.
    Aye the sequel is indeed Mania Challenge, not Mat Mania.
    I'm pretty sure in the Exciting Hour version it's Blues Bloody isn't it?
    I haven't played Mat Mania I take it, as I was mixing it up with Mania Challenge.

I have that game down to a science, it's just basically the same series of moves, always starting off with the punches as you described earlier.

The only guy that seems to be able to catch me at all is Coco Savage with the shoulder block, but if you're not careless it's ok.

I'm gonna load that up into Mame this week and see what kind of a score I can get out of it.