Thread: Section Z for the Nes and Captain Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Section Z for the Nes and Captain Commando

I was doing some research for my site the other day for the game Section Z (Nes) by Capcom, and I realised the American version was associated with Captain Commando. The american game teaser even says "will you and Captain Commando penetrate Section Z ?"
    Here are some pics from thealmightyguru:

SECTION Z box scans, US and European versions

Because I lived in Europe during my youth, I was wondering if someone know who this Cpt Commando is. It seems to have been added only to the US version of the game. That's obviously some commercial thingy. Was he also associated to other Nes games ? was this only a special edition of Section Z ?

Thanks for your help

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm no expert, but I had the game when I was little.

I believe Captain Commando was a mascot of sorts for Capacom.

One of my Capcom games (Ghost n' Goblins? Section Z?) came with a poster of available Capcom titles and Captain Commando had a prominent place on it. I don't believe he's actually in any game (could be wrong), he's just suppose to be a cool, swashbuckling, laser shooting space cowboy who represents the Capcom experience.

If my feeble memory can remember, I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there is a CC game, called (oddly enough) Captain Commando. It's a side scrolling beat 'em up in the Final Fight style. The original runs on Capcom's CPS1 board, and there's a PSone conversion too, which I have, and I'd say it's arcade perfect. Oh, and there's a less than perfect SNES version too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our friend, Wikipedia:
    Captain Commando, as he appears in Marvel vs. Capcom.Capcom's original mascot, Captain Commando, is a superhero who wears a futuristic armor of unknown origin. His name forms the words CapCom when the first three letters of each word are combined. He originally appeared in the early Capcom Famicom/NES game Section Z (the arcade version of Section Z has similar gameplay, but it is not clear that the hero is the same person) and in the manuals of Capcom's early NES games to thank players for purchasing them. He also appeared in the self named fighting game, Captain Commando, in 1991. He later appeared in Marvel vs. Capcom and its sequel, in which he is often considered to be an excessively powerful character. In Marvel vs. Capcom, he still serves as a mascot, regularly shouting "Capcom!" during fights and relaying Capcom-themed messages after winning. He displays the ability to quickly change from regular clothing, including a cowboy hat, into his armor, suggesting a secret identity
    link

So he has his own game and was the star of Section Z? Shows what I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

waaoooo ! So he's Capcom's original mascot. I knew about the fighting game but it was released back in 1991, and the American version of Section Z is from 1986. So all of this was a bit confusing. And still is. The japanese Famicom version of Section Z doesn't mention anything about Captain Commando (sadly the game documentation is missing from my DiskCard), and I do not think the original arcade mentionned anything about him either... interesting... I wonder if they created Captain Capcom around 1991 and associated him later with the brand.

Thanks guys !!!! I wonder how I missed this from wikipedia, thanks for the infooooo !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I recently discovered that CAPtain COMmando was a very clever name. Haha, guess I'm very late to the party! :P

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Lol, when I was a little kid, I used to think the character Captain Commando and and the game Commando might have something to do with each other. Bionic Commando, which was basically Commando 2 for the NES (Super Joe is th main character in Commando), threw another monkey wrench into those gears. :-) Plus, I though Ladd from BC looked kinda like Cap. Commando. Stupid retarded kid.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought Captain Commando was a cool name. I never knew there was a Psx version!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and heres something that'll realy blow your minds capcom used to be called capsule computers woah trippy

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The guy on the upper-left corner of the US box scan for SectionZ was shown in a LOT of different games. The "Captain Commando Challenge Series" was just a name - the games didn't have anything to do with him.

And he also doesn't look ANYTHING like his standalone game / Marvel Vs. Capcom incarnation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some illuminating(?) passages from the Section Z Manual:

Quote Originally Posted by Section Z Manual
    A Special Message from Captain Commando!

Thank you for selecting exciting and fun-filled Section Z.. one of our exclusive family of computer/home video games from Capcom's Captain Commando "Challenge Series".
    Quote Originally Posted by Section Z Manual also
    Game description

It is now the 21st Century. High frequency radio and television communications between Planet Earth and the space-exploring Saturn Space Station blast warnings of approaching invaders, then abruptly cease.

You shed your earthly identity to become the one temaining astronaut in space. You unite with freedom-fighter Captain Commando to enter the outer regions of
    space. Concealed in a special solar-energized, jet-propelled supersonic space-suit, and armed with multi-directional weaponry, you depart Earth's surface on a death-defying mission.

You and Captain Commando must maneuver safely through four (4) levels of adventurous battle scenes, penetrating the defenses established by the Space
    Soldiers of Balangool. You are challenged as you fight through Sections A to Section Z - where "L-Brain", Balangool's Master Control, programs domination
    of the universe.
    So you "unite" with Captain Commando, whatever that means. That part of the manual always used to confuse me as a Section Z-playing kid.

I think this incarnation of Captain Commando was supposed to be a "spirit" or a "trainer" that ruled over Capcom's challenging game series, and you could really only conquer them if he permitted it or if you called on his power. Sounds screwy, but it kind of makes sense, in that goofy Japanese/anime way.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So you "unite" with Captain Commando, whatever that means. That part of the manual always used to confuse me as a Section Z-playing kid.

I think this incarnation of Captain Commando was supposed to be a "spirit" or a "trainer" that ruled over Capcom's challenging game series, and you could really only conquer them if he permitted it or if you called on his power. Sounds screwy, but it kind of makes sense, in that goofy Japanese/anime way.
    No, man...all they are saying is you, the player unite with him. The character in Section Z is supposed to be Captain Commando. I wonder what they call him in the Japanese manual or what the story in that manual is.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!