Thread: Weird feeling...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Weird feeling...

sorry, this is sort of a creepy post but I had to talk about it... I just got a Video Game console off from Ebay and the seller mentionned the item was available because its owner died. He said the owner's wife decided to sell off her husband's games and systems after he suddenly passed away.
    I didn't realise the above at first, only when I receive the item, but I though the guy was probably about my age and also collecting video games. But it was just sort of a weird feeling....
    This was the first time it happened to me, but have you ever got games or a video game system that used to belong to another collector who passed away ?...

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't buy anything from it, but I remember seeing an eBay auction posted here last year about a woman selling off rare and new consoles that supposedly belonged to her recently deceased husband. Maybe it's the same person you're talking about?
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Weird feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel
    This was the first time it happened to me, but have you ever got games or a video game system that used to belong to another collector who passed away ?...
    I was cleaning out some old documents and I found the address of bargora (forum member who passed away). So at some point I must have done a trade with him, but I can't remember what. I wouldn't call it creepy, I just wish I knew what it was so I could say "this was bargora's".

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm morbid (I don't wear mascara or anything though, I swear), but I often think about that when I find a stash of stuff at a thrift store. I mean, I know there's other explanations for how stuff ends up at thrifts even if it was obviously owned by a collector previously, but I can't help but think of some dead Atari fan somewhere smiling down on me (or up, depending on where Atari fans go when they die).

...word is bondage...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the flipside, though I'm not dead, I did have a lot of prized games get away on me during my careless youth.... Sometimes I wonder who owns them today.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kinda like Highlander. I feel like that when I buy every game a person owns from a system.

In the end there can be only one
    Retro Rundown Podcast
    RetroRundown.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

You could always sell the item as possesed on e-bay and make twice the money back. It really wouldn't bother me in the long run, but I would probably think about it for a few seconds.

In the long run it's just another used item and people on e-bay lie about that stuff all the time to make sales, so just take it as serious as the haunted Nintendo.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe Flack came into possession of a huge stash of TI stuff at one point from a fellow who had been the hub of a users' group; the guy's family wanted to make sure the stuff would be given - not sold - to someone who would enjoy it. (You can read that whole amazing story here in Flack's own words, as a matter o' fact.) I got some of the duplicate goodies and stuff he didn't want from that stash, so yeah, I've benefitted from a dead man's collection.

And y'know what? I hope my wife does the same one of these days when I'm too dead to hit a fire button. Though I may write up a qualification questionnaire to help determine who the posers are and who the real classic gamers are. I just ain't easy like the TI guy. :P

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

It is interesting to think about where used games, or anything that was pre-owned, came from. Often I'll find old rental store address stickers on the back of game carts, sometimes from states clear across the country, and I'll wonder what kind of journey it took to end up behind the counter at a Goodwill in Georgia.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    I believe Flack came into possession of a huge stash of TI stuff at one point from a fellow who had been the hub of a users' group; the guy's family wanted to make sure the stuff would be given - not sold - to someone who would enjoy it. (You can read that whole amazing story here in Flack's own words, as a matter o' fact.) I got some of the duplicate goodies and stuff he didn't want from that stash, so yeah, I've benefitted from a dead man's collection.

And y'know what? I hope my wife does the same one of these days when I'm too dead to hit a fire button. Though I may write up a qualification questionnaire to help determine who the posers are and who the real classic gamers are. I just ain't easy like the TI guy. :P
    I remember reading that story when he first posted it... unbelievable. It's one of those I really do like reading more than once.

I don't think I have anything in my collection that was sold because of a death... but then, I don't know where a lot of my stuff was before I picked it up. Maybe it belonged to Al Capone at one point... or Al bundy, I have no clues and no ideas.