Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The annoying thing about collecting PSX games...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The annoying thing about collecting PSX games...

is that the cases are so damned fragile. I would love to get a huge collection of good PSX games, but every time I reconsider I look at my current collection and see nothing but cases with cracks, hinges missing (I was rough as a child) etc...

It's the same with Gameboy boxes, so flimsy. I guess that's why I generally prefer to collect PS2/Cube games, the cases are sturdy and hold up better when stacked in boxes . 'Twas a good move on Nintendo's part with the DS game cases as well.

Anyone else find this to be annoying too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jewel cases are easy to replace, so long as everything else is in good shape, why complain?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if he's buying PAL games, there's plenty to complain about :P

But they aren't that flimsy, not compared to Dreamcast which are held together entirley by the CD's will to not be scratched.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

and here I thought the annoying thing about collecting PlayStation games was the fact that there was just shy of 1300 releaed titles before you go after variants, GH discs, demos, LightSpan and accessories.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thing that ticked me off about ps1 games is the dual disc cases, especially the 4-disc ones. If you broke the the black middle part, its not easy finding replacements. Also, the old longbox cases with the artwork on the box, if you broke the case, that was the end cause the art work wasn't transferrable, such as the original resident evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    and here I thought the annoying thing about collecting PlayStation games was the fact that there was just shy of 1300 releaed titles before you go after variants, GH discs, demos, LightSpan and accessories.
    i saw this thread and opened with the intention of mentioning that very fact. Stu beat me to it.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perkar
    i saw this thread and opened with the intention of mentioning that very fact. Stu beat me to it.
    This leads to a whole different topic. The most annoying thing about that fact is that roughly half of them are not even worth playing. With a library that big, for every "good" game there is also a "bad" game.

When I opened the topic, I was expecting to see someone state that the most annoying thing of collecting PSX games is that they are doing it for a system made by Sony. Not my opinion, but there is a Sony-hater (or a few) on every board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: The annoying thing about collecting PSX games...

Welcome to the forums! Introduce yourself here:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Quote Originally Posted by fightingdreamer88
    is that the cases are so damned fragile.
    Try collecting for the Saturn
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango

This leads to a whole different topic. The most annoying thing about that fact is that roughly half of them are not even worth playing. With a library that big, for every "good" game there is also a "bad" game.

When I opened the topic, I was expecting to see someone state that the most annoying thing of collecting PSX games is that they are doing it for a system made by Sony. Not my opinion, but there is a Sony-hater (or a few) on every board.
    Not really a fair assessment, since this is true for just about every system, except for possibly the GBA where there's 5 horrible games for every good one.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

To me what bugs me most about collecting playstation games is the longboxes. on EVERY other game system, book, dvd, you name it, the words are aligned so you turn your head slightly to the left to read them, but noooo not on the playsation. On the longbox releases they face the opposite direction!

It messes up the flow of my game shelf!

Alright, Im done. Thanks.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: The annoying thing about collecting PSX games...

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    Welcome to the forums! Introduce yourself here:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Quote Originally Posted by fightingdreamer88
    is that the cases are so damned fragile.
    Try collecting for the Saturn
    Yeah, and Sega CD.

Brutal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now, now, the Saturn and Sega CD cases ARE notoriously fragile BUT easy to replace with cases from cheap games. You can even get new cases off Ebay.

Yeah, it sucks to have to keep replacing and switching out cases (half of my Saturn games have cases made up from a combination of fronts and backs from various games.)

But they sure do display nicely.

Dreamcast PAL cases are another story. They don't display that much better than a regular CD cases but they will break if you startle them.

Back to the Saturn cases... I sold a lot of about 40 games on ebay a while back... I went throuh my entire collection and traded out EVERY decent box and cover. The Ebay entire lot was full of cracked and broken cases. PLEASE NOTE that I disclosed that ALL the cases were in crap condition ranging from cracked cases to downright broken ones. I put that in big letters, too. I also took plenty of pictures. Whoever bought it was well informed.

FUN FACT: It was purchased from an asshole that I had bought from before... one of those who sells a Playstation game that's either *complete* with the words COMPLETE WITH CASE AND FULL INSTRUCTIONS in the text of the auction OR sells an *incomplete* game with the words LOOK AT PICTURE FOR CONDITION OF ITEM and then takes a picture of the BACK of the case so that you can't actually SEE that the instructions are gone. If you say "Complete!" for a full game and "Look at the picture!" for an incomplete one then you're being shady and you deserve cracked Saturn cases.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I just purcashed my first PAL PSX game not that long ago, and while it's a little scratched up I have to say I love the packaging. I can see where replacing them would be a bitch, but I love the way they look. Slightly larger then a normal jewel case, and the playstation logo's engraved into the sides of the plastic. Really nice looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I just purcashed my first PAL PSX game not that long ago, and while it's a little scratched up I have to say I love the packaging. I can see where replacing them would be a bitch, but I love the way they look. Slightly larger then a normal jewel case, and the playstation logo's engraved into the sides of the plastic. Really nice looking.
    Yep, they are nice. And I have NTSC-J games that use the same cases too. No idea why everyone hates PAL PS and DC cases though. All of mine are in perfect condition, and I prefer them to boring old Jewel cases. Cetainly livens up the game shelf a bit.

Especially as the spines for NTSC-J PS and Saturn games are a little bit similar. In fact, a bit too similar.....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cases are the easiest to replace for the USA PSX games because usually Walmart will have a sale or deals on a box of 100. Bad part is going through every game and switching out the broken ones. As for the crappy games, the PSX does have a ton. But the GBA has a lot more, its as if they decided to miniaturize the crappy snes games and leave the good ones behind. GBA was a money grab by Nintendo but I have high hopes for the DS. As for the sega cases, they are horrible put look great if not destroyed. Just gotta be careful of the shady ebay sellers who say the cases are excellent and then blame shipping for coming all broken and unhinged. <Note> If broken during shipping, where is the plastic pieces? Hmm, I guess they use common sense sometimes Just rambling to get that off my chest as you can probabaly tell I've been burned once with that stupid ebay tactic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkar

Why would a Sony hater be collecting PS1 games? Sony is very low on my list therefore I don't even have a PS let alone collect games for it. Same with NES. Seems like a pointless endeavor, wasting time and money on a system you dislike.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes there are a lot, and I mean a lot of PS titles. Counting in all regions, literally thousands.

That's why I only collect what I like, or what I think I'd enjoy, not the crappier titles or genres.

So I don't have to worry about "catching them all", or whatever. That's the sensible choice, especially if you're poor.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Strange,...the most annoying thing to me about collecting PSX games is that you can never get the original cases...usually some shitty Gamestop case or, it's just in some envelope. Totally annoying. I'll go into Gamestop, see the cheap PSX games that I'd gladly buy a hundred different titles of, but they've got no case (or no original case), or no instructions. Their loss, really.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Long boxes are one thing; US jewel cases are the easiest to replace and is the main reason I hate DVD cases. If a jewel case gets scratched, the artwork is fine. If a DVD case gets scratched, there's a good chance the artwork below the plastic gets torn.

If anything, any pre-GC / DS Nintendo system would be the worse because your boxes can get crushed, etc. Adn last I checked, a plain jewel case was easier (and cheaper)to nab than another oh, Stadium Events box.

Strange,...the most annoying thing to me about collecting PSX games is that you can never get the original cases...usually some shitty Gamestop case or, it's just in some envelope. Totally annoying. I'll go into Gamestop, see the cheap PSX games that I'd gladly buy a hundred different titles of, but they've got no case (or no original case), or no instructions. Their loss, really.
    That's user / seller fault, not Sony. Most Game Stop / Funcoland stores threw out anything not needed to play the games (I still recall not realizing my one Funcoland was throwing out HUNDREDS of Saturn game cases.....god to have that day back...) I still recall people tossing Genesis Cart cases simply because "they don't keep the boxes".

The most annoying thing about collecting PSX? Apparently no one at Sony or their third parites actually kept track of anything related to variants.

And demo discs? I'd give $500 just to have my Wanted List finally finished.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you have alot of PSX games with cracked or dirty jewels you should try your local used CD store. when purchased in bulk jewel cases run about $0.07 each. the store may be willing to get an extra box for you the next time they place an order. even if they charge you double the price they pay its not a bad deal.