Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Saves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lost Saves

I'm sure we've all experienced the pain of loosing save files. Whether it's a cart battery die, memory card messing up or whatever.

Many years ago I let my Nephew play on Pilotwings 64. I'd unlocked everything and had mad scores, it was good. Next time I play the game (later that night) I discover he's decided to fiddle, and in the process deleted my file

My mate was slightly gutted when his Girlfriend's Sister's Husband borrowed his Playstation. And the FF9 (iirc) save that had something daft like 70hrs + was deleted. Never seen the chap so gutted before.

So what would you guys say were your biggest losses?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was wierd but one time my friends an i turned on diddy kong racing and every single level everything was there we saved it to every single slot,then the n64 got droped by accident and everything was gone....then there was this time that i had a used gameshark that had this code to go to this strange level in goldeneye 007,it was like really screwed up but you could still play it,one of my friends stupid enough turned on 102 codes at once and fried the gameshark,gosh i wish i remember what that code was called , oh well thats my best lost saves.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've lost Zelda/Final Fantasy/other RPG saves from the NES-SNES era, but my biggest loss is when my 4X N64 memory card just crapped out one day. I lost all my files, including franchises in basically every EA sports game.

This taught me to: 1) Never buy a used, bootleg memory card on ebay, no matter how cheap & 2) Back up important memory card data!
    ________
    Electronic cigarettes
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my time crisis arcade cab had some amazing times on it, but i took it to an event and it overheated and killed the boards, i lost all of my times, and all of the ones from the events i'd taken it to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

My brother-in-law once came to visit and over the course of a week of playing NCAA Football 2000 on my PSX overwrote all the game saves I had on my one and only memory card including 50% completion of Amazing Spider-Man as well as all my Tekken 2 unlocks. The game saves in themselves were not too significant. More than anything I was mad that he didn't even bother to ask if these were important; just erased what he needed to. But my brother-in-law was only 16 years old at the time and had the accompanying disregard for others.

Then about a year ago my son somehow corrupted all the saves on my Legend of Zelda: LTTP GBA cart including his game-in-progress and my already beaten file. I think it was ESD while he was merely holding the cart while laying in bed one night (I don't think I ever got the full story on this). To make matters worse the corrupted files could be neither erased nor overwritten, thereby effectively making the cart useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest loss was when my Elder Scrolls III Morrowind game for Xbox got erased, and it was my falt! I had like a level 55 ranger, and I had been playing it for a year or so, then one day while I was saving it, I turned the Xbox off during the save! I was so mad and sad at the same time...I felt sick. But now I have a level 79 dark elf with every rare item in the game
    Good news, cigarette juice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've sufferend the damnable 'loss of data" a few times.

most recently was my guitar hero save. very sad day, as i had friends over that night and we were planning on a guitar hero marathon. we still had the marathon, but it involved us unlocking all the songs over again....

back in the day i let my younger cousin borrow my donkey kong country cartridge and when it was returned i found my completed saved erased. i was very very unhappy about that one.

also snes era, i was playing a full season (162 games) in Ken Griffey Jr Baseball, and was up to 110+ games with something like only 15 losses. went to play another game, and the save was mysteriously gone. i've never had the balls to attempt that one again.

that's all i can think of at the moment, i'm sure there have been more...
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst I had was when my first GCN memory card crapped out on me.

I had Mario Sunshine done completely, all the trophies in SSBM, Starfox Adventures almost done, Metroid Prime 95% done and a couple of other games.

I'd also had the original Zelda screw up in a different way. I was sitting down to play it straight through, when I guess I hit a bug where I got stuck in a Like-Like that wouldn't damage me, and wouldn't let me out. =\ I had to restart. Not a big loss as I love playing that game anyways, and I hadn't saved as it was straight through, still weird.

Oh and I lost 50 gigs of music when one of my harddrives decided to fuck off. That was a pain in the ass. I lost a ton of saves for PC games. Nothing that hurt really.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I had cousins that had this sick thrill of seeking out my Gameboy and deleting the save of any game that happened to be in it at the time.
    I had Donkey Kong Country data deleted a couple of times. Once by my sister, which I could deal with, since I was planning on playing thru the game again. Then in college, my roomie's drugged out girlfriend deleted my "101% in under an hour" save, because she claims "I didn't think Delete File would do anything". The bitch. I haven't played that game since.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default My problems

My problems always came from the Zelda games. I would always share a system with siblings, girlfriends, roommates, etc. who also enjoyed Zelda. Seeing that I was the sole owner of the system and game, I believed I should be the person with his character saved in the #1 slot. I grew so tired of other people playing their games and saving in #1 over my game that I was reduced to being the guy in file #3.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GiantPooka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to have a habit of this...

Worst was losing my Pokémon Gold data... 256 hours gone, with all my monsters from the old games transferred... And I can't start again either, the game no longer saves.

Also once had a PS1 Memory Card crap out on me, losing all my Final Fantasy VII data. That was harsh.

Super Mario World and Link to the Past seem to be the worst for forgetting files, though, while Yoshi's Island still has all it's data.

My Earthbound cart was pretty apologetic- "We're sorry, but there was an error with saving. Some save data may be missing". Err, thanks... :/

Last one was losing every single Sega Saturn save file... That's happened about 3 times now, but I got a memory card to stop that.
    [url="http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=70711"] PLEASE SIR DO IT FOR YOU!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPooka
    Last one was losing every single Sega Saturn save file... That's happened about 3 times now, but I got a memory card to stop that.
    I know how you feel with that one. Damn crappy Saturn saving system.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great timing for this thread. I had gotten 3/4th of the way through Psychonauts, and then got really busy at work for a few months. But I had the day off today I sat down, fired it up, and low and behold - no save. Gone. I enjoyed the game, but I don't know that I want to start all over. Not that it's that long, but still, pretty frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Several years ago I was really into RPG Maker for the PS1. I spent ten months working on a game several hours a day. It was huge and took up four memory cards. Then, one day, the main scenario data on one of the cards were corrupted and several months of work were destroyed. I'm still bitter about it four years later...

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had just beaten Midnight Club 3 and the next day I had to unplug my Xbox and move it. Go to play it again and I'm only 1/3 of the way through and it was on the hdd.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had been playing Albert Odyssey on and off for about 3 years (yeah, I know) on my primary gaming Saturn (I have several Saturns, ya dig?).

So, sometime in 2000 I had the internal battery give out on me. No biggie, I thought, cause I had made a back up on my 4-in-1 Cart. Can you guess it? Yup, my 4-in-1 decided to die too. There went my back up!!

After 3 years of on and off playing I made it to the final boss area and the saves go bye bye. I tried to start over...but I just can't bring myself to devote that kind of time again!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 3 big ones I can remember.

1. Banjo-Kazooie(N64)- My friend borrows it and has it for about a month. No biggie right, wrong well he left the room and he little brother came in and deleted my save file that was at Grunty. This was the first game I had ever come this close to finishing and it got deleted.

2. Final Fantasy IX(PS1)- My first RPG and first Final Fantasy game. I am 2 bosses away from Kuja and my crappy interact memory card craps out. Still haven't got past disc 1 again.

3. Spyro: Year of the Dragon(PS1)- Same memory card as above. I was at last boss.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any in recent memory, but my friend lost his Legend of Zelda NES file once after he beat the game. He thought that Elimination Mode was a type of minigame, so he clicked on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My cousin wrote over my save file for my fifth straight playthrough on original mode of Castlevania Chronicles, last year. I was trying to get to the eighth playthrough of the hall of mirrors (after tower of the dolls) to see the hidden graphic of mirror/evil simon smoking a blunt in game.

I was so pissed :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Mine was one of brother's friends saved over a game I saved, and I told his friend not to. I walked into the gaming room and saw what he was about to do and did very little and was about to save the game for kicks knowing he was not about to play that game again. I told him and did it anyway The game he saved, I wasn't finished beating the game and that game only had one saving file.

I was pretty far in that game, and I had to start over!

I can't recall what game, at the time I was playing nes and genesis games. I am sure it was a rpg for the nes and my brother friend was not into rpgs.