Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will happen to video games collecting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What will happen to video games collecting?

Seeing that prices for NES on Ebay has cooled off a bit, I am starting to wonder what will happen to video games collecting. Will it become more popular in the years to come or otherwise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's mid summer. It happens every year. Only true collectors' items go for their actual value now. Once September comes, prices will rise back up. No big deal and no need to panic.
    ________
    THE CIGAR BOSS
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg
    It's mid summer. It happens every year. Only true collectors' items go for their actual value now. Once September comes, prices will rise back up. No big deal and no need to panic.
    Agreed! College kids get back to school and they all want to catch up in the dorm and play some old school goodness. Prices will rise once again and availability will drop. Now is a great time for collector's to pick up all sorts of good stuff, but a bad time to sell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the NES, in general, in a bit of a downswing in 2006? From what I can gather it seems the "boom" happened in years previous, and that by 2006, there are:

A. Those who came in 2002, 2003, 2004... got most what they wanted

and

B. Few are ENTERING the NES scene in 2006

I got into the NES April 2006 and prices have been pretty good. But from what I hear, I'm really late to the party and that most of its members are either satisfied or "gone home" if you catch my drift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the NES, in general, in a bit of a downswing in 2006? From what I can gather it seems the "boom" happened in years previous, and that by 2006, there are:

A. Those who came in 2002, 2003, 2004... got most what they wanted

and

B. Few are ENTERING the NES scene in 2006

I got into the NES April 2006 and prices have been pretty good. But from what I hear, I'm really late to the party and that most of its members are either satisfied or "gone home" if you catch my drift.
    I'm not to sure about the market for common games, but I think that the price of the grails for the NES has shot up considerably in the last little while.
    Sealed Cheetahmen II's going for $500, Hot Slots selling for $700, it's been crazy. And I've been right at the ass-end of it buying all these games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

i think the reason prices go down is because everybody is going o the flea markets looking for games this time of year. I go to this one flea market and its hard to even see what some people have for videogames at their table because most of them are filled with people already looking through thier stuff. Its like you gotta wait in line.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone familiar with ebay through the years know that it's a cycle most times than not. Summer is slow, Autum is the rush period.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have notices that SNES games are just as high priced as ever right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    Anyone familiar with ebay through the years know that it's a cycle most times than not. Summer is slow, Autum is the rush period.
    In my experience my sales don't heat up until it gets colder out. I think it has less to do with students being out for the summer and more to do withg the tendency for people to do things outside when it's warmer. This year, the bottom line for me dropped drastically in May. I was pulling an average of $8 - $9 per game and then it dropped to $5 - $6 within a week - the same time when it got warm in most of the country. Last year it took until October for sales to get back to the excepted level.

From my personal use it's about the same. I spend as much time outside as possible when it's nice out and don't play that much. During winter I can be found playing constantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

People save money for vacations. Gamers and collecters including my brother and I don't like to spend money on games when there is planing to go on major vacations like if you want to go to disney, Sea World, and Universal Studios on one trip, you would be saving a lot of money ahead of time depending on the amount days you will be on vacation along with airfare or by vehicle for money.

If a person doesn't have any more vacations plans after Labor day or late August, that person will be back on ebay buying games on ebay not to long then.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe what happened to comic books in the mid-late lates will happen to video games. I'm not exactly sure what happened to comic books in the 90s, I just know all the prices of everyting old dropped... a lot.

It seems to be there's been a retro game craze going on and as soon it it dies off so will all those insane prices. I mean are there any real accurate indictors for this market? I just hope people are collecting as hobbies and not as investments.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say one big factor is that while its very easy to get sucked into the Retro collecting thing, its very easy to lose the bug very quickly.

Someone goes into it thinking "I'm going to get every NES game ever" I'm guessing this happens a lot in the colder months, but by spring, they need cash and realize, "eh, I'm out" Then they sell off their stuff for cheap, and the market gets a bit more flooded

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a question about the future of our hobby. What going to happen in 12 years when our first round of cd based games turn 25 years old? Is'nt that the expected life span of disk based media? Are all my sega cds going to crap out on me? Kinda makes me think that this hobby dosent have much of a future.
    [img]http://card.mygamercard.net/graboidxxx.jpg[/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graboid9
    I've got a question about the future of our hobby. What going to happen in 12 years when our first round of cd based games turn 25 years old? Is'nt that the expected life span of disk based media? Are all my sega cds going to crap out on me? Kinda makes me think that this hobby dosent have much of a future.
    It's not like all CD's are going to self-destruct once they reach a certain age. If anything, the degredation of discs will make surviving copies rarer and more valuable. Also, twelve is a lot of years. With all the new digital storage technologies, I might be able to keep all of my PS1 games on one several-hundred-GB super-disc and store the actual discs in a vacuum sealed climate controlled chamber. (At least the R6+ ones.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know they are not going to explode, and i also know that they have aluminium in them wich will corrode and degrade over time. How will you know if you "mint" game is actually still complete and not corrupt at the last level. Or if your new copy of snatcher you got from ebay will play after 3 hours into it? Im not saying that its going to happen, but its possible.
    [img]http://card.mygamercard.net/graboidxxx.jpg[/img]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post. sorry

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graboid9
    The theoretical lifespan of optical media such as CD's is higher than 25 years.

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/librar...x?article=2131

This site is one example of the common estimated shelf life range, which is 30 to 200 years. It's funny to note that properly stored and handled CD-R's are actually expected to last between 70 and 200 years.

As for the other issues, I agree with most; ebay sales are seasonal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider that most big collectibles have their peak periods when the people who collected (or used) them for fun as kids become adults and want to relive the experience. We're just entering the time where the Nintendo generation is getting old enough to have the purchase power to drive the market. Why Nintendo? Like Disney, the history is so interesting and the marketing of recognizable characters so powerful that it's hard to imagine seeing a day where noone is interested in these little gray carts. And, in comparison to Atari 2600 era games (sorry buyatari), the NES generation of games still holds up as fun and playable, by and large.
    As for the high values of the grails, there are only so many to go around and every person who decides he (or she) really wants to get into collecting as a dedicated hobby adds to the demand. I remember when I started really collecting seriously after going to the 5th Classic Video Game Expo in Vegas. I thought the $90 people were getting for Panesians was about the limit. Every year, it goes higher and higher. It will only stop when people move onto something that is of more personal interest to them, and more people get out of the hobby than enter it. Since the current video game market is huge, it may be some time before the interest dies down.
    I was in on baseball card collecting at the very beginning of its explosion. I bought my first PC for 2 grand after selling some cards. I also watched the 'classic' card collecting market go completely to pot, in favor of 'rare' and limited edition cards, which are now available in lottery form for $2.99+ per pack. Most of the reasons for that hobby's collapse are not comparable to video game collecting, other than an inevitable devaluation of common games and increase in the rares. With millions of people familiar with video games and that number growing every year, I think we can look forward to a few more glory years in this great hobby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by drcurtis
    Consider that most big collectibles have their peak periods when the people who collected (or used) them for fun as kids become adults and want to relive the experience. We're just entering the time where the Nintendo generation is getting old enough to have the purchase power to drive the market. Why Nintendo? Like Disney, the history is so interesting and the marketing of recognizable characters so powerful that it's hard to imagine seeing a day where noone is interested in these little gray carts. And, in comparison to Atari 2600 era games (sorry buyatari), the NES generation of games still holds up as fun and playable, by and large.
    Good points, I never thought about it really this way: most of us 80's kids are now in our 20's and can afford to buy 100's of retro games we always dreamt about back in the day but never could (unless our dad was Michael Jordan).

It WILL be interesting to see how the NES/GEN/SNES/etc. market will be like in the year, say, 2020. By then, us 20-something-year-old's will be in the 40's and whatnot, maybe selling off our long time collections or a majority of it. Be interesting...

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Pooch:

If emulation didn't kill the market for NES or Super NES games, nothing will. You have nothing to worry about. People will always buy those games because they are fun to play.

It is a lot different than baseball card collecting, where all you can do is look at the items. Couple that with the fact that a baseball card in anything less than mint condition is virtually worthless these days. Rookie card, limited edition, star player or otherwise. Most current baseball card collectors don't even know the history of the game or great players who were in the league during or before the 1980's, thus values for some (not all) older cards can actually plummet as time goes along. I theoretically lost money selling some good rookie cards at the only card shop within 200 miles to a guy under 30 who knew almost nothing about Rickey Henderson, Jack Morris, Andre Dawson, Dale Murphy or Yaz. He wasn't playing dumb, either, people like that are all through the baseball card collecting scene.

Collecting games, though, is a whole different story.

You can still get at least something for sought-after games that are "very good" "good" or even "fair", whether it is a loose cart or not. You can play it regularly and, depending on the current demand or going price, still make something off of it. Depending on who you sell to, a cartridge game that might be sold for $40-60 complete in the box could still be sold for half that amount, if not more, without the box or manual. You could still make something off of that cartridge game, even with a crappy label. Now keep in mind this is a case-by-case basis and that may be wrong some of the time, with some games or some buyers. CD games for example. However, try getting half price for a $40-60 baseball card or record album that has been beat up

I agree with everyone else. I make a lot more money selling games between October and February than I do any other time of the year. Take the $48 I received for a mint copy of Sega Bass Fishing 2, for Dreamcast, last November on Ebay. I didn't even have a real photo in the auction, just a stock photo. I ended up getting a copy of it back, in similar condition, for $19 shipped this past spring from J2 Games. That time, when I tried selling it a week later, I only made $25. I suppose the original auction could have also been a fluke *shrugs*[/i]