Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another sega cd ?

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default another sega cd ?

Now I know that the JVC CD eye is suppose to be the best of all the genny's but I was wondering how did the CDX and the original Sega CD fair up,

I have a model 2 CD and it's a heap.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry about the other posts, computer had a huge hiccup x_x

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

im a sucker for front loading systems... i also like to stack =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First place, CDX, hands down. A quarter of the size, one AC adapter, no audio patch cables, slightly faster CD drive, best looks. No Power Base Converter option though. Apparently can't play Radical Rex at all or Lunar 2 correctly. Surprisingly reliable even when used with the wrong AC adapter but known for blown power sections.

Second place, Model 1. Looks cool (especially in the dark) and you can use the PBC. The least reliable model though. The CD drive and drive tray are known to wear out under normal use (but long after its intended life cycle). You can tell it's wearing out when you hear a slight click or clicking now and then. Eventually the interval between clicks will decrease and the drive will stop reading discs altogether. Sometimes the tray will stop coming out also.

Last place, Model 2. The most reliable model mostly due to the lack of a drive tray. Ugly to my eyes. Can't use the PBC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I'd say CDX but I've heard of several people with half-broken CDX's (the CD drive doesn't work anymore.) Add mine to that list.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78
    First place, CDX, hands down. A quarter of the size, one AC adapter, no audio patch cables, slightly faster CD drive, best looks. No Power Base Converter option though. Apparently can't play Radical Rex at all or Lunar 2 correctly. Surprisingly reliable even when used with the wrong AC adapter but known for blown power sections.

Second place, Model 1. Looks cool (especially in the dark) and you can use the PBC. The least reliable model though. The CD drive and drive tray are known to wear out under normal use (but long after its intended life cycle). You can tell it's wearing out when you hear a slight click or clicking now and then. Eventually the interval between clicks will decrease and the drive will stop reading discs altogether. Sometimes the tray will stop coming out also.

Last place, Model 2. The most reliable model mostly due to the lack of a drive tray. Ugly to my eyes. Can't use the PBC.
    I've never had a problem using a Power Base Converter on the Model 1, 2 or CDX. Even Master System Control Pads worked...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's up with the low Sega CDX responses? That machine was one of sega's shining pinnacle of engineering in the early console CD wars. They took a page from Nintendo's book and resized and revamped the Sega CD into a smaller suprisiingly portable CD system AND it played carts as well.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No fans of the RG-M1 Mk.1 Sega Wondermega?

I didn't realise that the Multimega/CD-X had problems with some games. What exactly is the problem with Lunar: EB? Does it just not boot?

C'mon, someone convince me to spend a rediculous amount of cash on a WM set-up. Any compatability problems with these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    What's up with the low Sega CDX responses? That machine was one of sega's shining pinnacle of engineering in the early console CD wars. They took a page from Nintendo's book and resized and revamped the Sega CD into a smaller suprisiingly portable CD system AND it played carts as well.
    Maybe because the CD drives are prone to failure? I babied mine and then it just quit one day. I would say it was an isolated incident if I hadn't talked to at least two collectors with similar issues AND seen at least two different CDX's on Ebay with a functioning cartridge slot but a dead CD drive.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    Maybe because the CD drives are prone to failure? I babied mine and then it just quit one day. I would say it was an isolated incident if I hadn't talked to at least two collectors with similar issues AND seen at least two different CDX's on Ebay with a functioning cartridge slot but a dead CD drive.

Sucks to be you then. I had mine for 5 years without a hitch. I dropped it one time, albeit on the carpet, but it still worked like a champ. Every CD based console has had failures, the CDX is no different. I've had issues with the front loader not working correctly from my experience. So discounting the CDX based on most likely a dead laser is of naught merit as I've seen the same from Front Loaders and Second Gens.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Front loader looks much better on my Model 1 Genesis than a model 2 Sega CD.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll always think the original Sega CD is the best of the bunch. It just looks too bad ass all stacked up. Most people seem to like putting a 32X on top, but I think the 32X is a lame design and prefer to stick a Power Base Converter up there and create the most bad ass looking 8-bit system ever!

The Sega CD 2 was a horrible design even side-by-side with a Genesis 2, it looks bad. With an original Genesis...well...yikes.

The CDX is cool, but really too small in my opinion. Saving space if great and all, but I like my consoles to be visible. Also the advantage of only needing one AC adaptor is overstated; we all have dozens of the things for our various systems one more or less doesn't make much difference.

I don't personally even like the X'Eye all that much. Its design isn't anything special (not like the original Japanese Wondermega, that is indeed a lovely design). Also anothe rpoint against both the X'Eye and the CDX is that even though everyone says that the 32X and Power Base Converter will work with it, the fact is that they only sort of "work," I prefer a solid connection.

So yeah, give me a Sega CD model 1, model 1 Genesis or Mega Drive.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Pain

I've never had a problem using a Power Base Converter on the Model 1, 2 or CDX. Even Master System Control Pads worked...
    You can use the PBC with the CDX or Model 2 with no modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    The CDX is cool, but really too small in my opinion. Saving space if great and all, but I like my consoles to be visible. Also the advantage of only needing one AC adaptor is overstated; we all have dozens of the things for our various systems one more or less doesn't make much difference.

Maybe I'm just that much lazier than you! I sold my 32X just because I never wanted to take the time to hook it up and play it. And I have every 32X game! To me one AC adapter is a big deal. I have two power strips plugged into each other and still no free outlets. I'd have to unplug an extra something to use either of the full-size setups.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The CDX has its video connection on the SIDE if I remember correctly so it ends up taking up just as much space as a Genesis 2. Less than the full CD setup of a Genesis 1 / SCD 1, but not all that much.

JVC X'Eye all the way. Nice fast, quiet CD drive, open design for easy repair / modification, no overheating problems. Also the cartridge slot is import-friendly (wide) so Japanese Mega Drive games fit without hacking it up and the US/JPN region switch mod to play region locked cartridges is easy to perform. The biggest problem with the JVC X'Eye is the CD lid close pinswitch wears down and fails over time but it takes ten minutes to replace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The CDX has its video connection on the SIDE if I remember correctly so it ends up taking up just as much space as a Genesis 2. Less than the full CD setup of a Genesis 1 / SCD 1, but not all that much.

JVC X'Eye all the way. Nice fast, quiet CD drive, open design for easy repair / modification, no overheating problems. Also the cartridge slot is import-friendly (wide) so Japanese Mega Drive games fit without hacking it up and the US/JPN region switch mod to play region locked cartridges is easy to perform. The biggest problem with the JVC X'Eye is the CD lid close pinswitch wears down and fails over time but it takes ten minutes to replace.
    Yes, it takes up as much space as a Genesis 2...with no Sega CD. Genesis 3 takes up less space than a Genesis 2...but no Sega CD. The difference in size and weight of a complete model 1 or 2 setup and a CDX is drastic.

The CDX dimensions are about 8x5x2 and it weighs 1 lb. 9oz. (no adapters/accessories)

The model 1 setup's footprint is 11x8. I don't have a model 1 Sega CD handy to measure or weigh, but it's height is much greater than both others and I would guess it weighs more too.

The model 2 setup's dimensions are about 15 1/2x8 1/2x3 and it weighs 5 lbs. (no adapters or accessories).

So, the model 2 setup is nearly 5 times bigger than the CDX in terms of space and weighs more than twice as much (not even including the extra AC adapter). I'd call that drastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I like the CD1 and the CD2 is alright, the CDX is just awesome. Less junk to worry about and what not. The price on the other hand is somewhat evil and keeps me back from getting one. Maybe just maybe one day I'll get my hands on it.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    No fans of the RG-M1 Mk.1 Sega Wondermega?

I didn't realise that the Multimega/CD-X had problems with some games. What exactly is the problem with Lunar: EB? Does it just not boot?

C'mon, someone convince me to spend a rediculous amount of cash on a WM set-up. Any compatability problems with these?
    If I wasn't getting my tooth pulled today I would have been the first to mention the Wondermega My JVC Wondermega RG-M1 is my pick, followed closely by the CD-X and the Model 1 set-up of the Genny and Sega CD.

The Wondermega is the sleekest one, with all the purty lights and a motorized door, some karaoke functions, enhanced bass and surround sound, plus built-in S-Video. The only prob I have encountered is very rarely the cd door gets stuck, but, again, rarely. *hugs his Wondermega*

I still have lots o' love for my other 2 picks. My Model 1 combo is what I still use to play all my Genesis and Sega CD's...plus I also had my genesis modded so that one also has S-Video. Playing Snatcher and Lunar 2 in S-Video really is a big difference! My CD-X I love too, but its currently sitting in its box due to lack of room..plus I dont need 3 Genesis combos hooked up at once

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

cdx would be my fav.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the original Sega CD on it's launch day, and I must say I'm partial to Model 1 for this reason. However, I must also add, that when stacked like that, it makes it very tall and hard to fit into entertainment center setups. As ugly as the side by side Genny 2 and Sega CD 2 are, it's much shorter and can fit in a space where a VCR might go.

Since I sold my original Sega CD unit, a long, long, long time ago, I've never ran across a model 1 again. I've seen quite a few Model 2's at Thrift stores and flea markets, but haven't seen a Model 1, since the day I sold mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The model 1 setup's footprint is 11x8. I don't have a model 1 Sega CD handy to measure or weigh, but it's height is much greater than both others and I would guess it weighs more too.

So, the model 2 setup is nearly 5 times bigger than the CDX in terms of space and weighs more than twice as much (not even including the extra AC adapter). I'd call that drastic.
    It helps to read...

I compare the CDX footprint to that of a Genesis 2 ALONE to begin with.

The CDX has its video connection on the SIDE if I remember correctly so it ends up taking up just as much space as a Genesis 2.
    Then compared the CDX footprint to that of a Genesis 1 + SCD 1.

Less than the full CD setup of a Genesis 1 / SCD 1, but not all that much.
    I never compared a CDX to the footprint of a Genesis 2 + SCD 2. In the case of the Genesis 1 + SCD 1 setup the vertical clearance doesn't matter since for the CDX you need to open a disc lid and they both require the clearance for a cartridge and a hand to insert Genesis cartridges.

Having cables stick out the side of a system is an eyesore and requires more space than just the footprint of the console or the footprint of the console + the length of the plug alone. The cables then need to be curved back around. This is a major gripe with the TurboDuo as well, the huge A/V multi out sticking out of the left side of the system. A cableless system is nothing more than a paperweight.