12 31.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another sega cd ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    JVC X'Eye all the way.... and the US/JPN region switch mod to play region locked cartridges is easy to perform.
    How easy? Can you tell me how or point me to a FAQ? I've got a couple of Mega CD games I've been wanting to play for YEARS.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As he said, the mod is only for cartridge games. As with all Sega CD systems, the only way to mod it to play imported CDs is by replacing the BIOS.

You probably know already that you can play your Mega CDs by copying them to your PC, hacking them and then burning a CDR, right? Some people have trouble with this method, but it's worked for me in the two cases that I've tried it (both European games, not Japanese).

...word is bondage...

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I don't own any of them but I've been drooling over the Model 1 for 16 years. It just looks so cool and it's the one I spent the most time reading about in magazines

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    JVC X'Eye all the way.... and the US/JPN region switch mod to play region locked cartridges is easy to perform.
    How easy? Can you tell me how or point me to a FAQ? I've got a couple of Mega CD games I've been wanting to play for YEARS.
    Again, please read...

"JVC X'Eye all the way.... and the US/JPN region switch mod to play region locked cartridges is easy to perform."

There is no way around the CD stuff for the X'Eye other than ripping the original Mega CD game, injecting a US BIOS into it, making a cue, reburning it, and hoping it works. I haven't done that for years though so you'll have to ask elsewhere for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    As he said, the mod is only for cartridge games. As with all Sega CD systems, the only way to mod it to play imported CDs is by replacing the BIOS.

You probably know already that you can play your Mega CDs by copying them to your PC, hacking them and then burning a CDR, right? Some people have trouble with this method, but it's worked for me in the two cases that I've tried it (both European games, not Japanese).
    Thank you, Sweater Fish Deluxe. I remember having less luck with EUR games though, something about the CD BIOS size being different than the US or JPN ones. Oh well, again, sometimes it would work and with some games it simply would not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78
    The model 1 setup's footprint is 11x8. I don't have a model 1 Sega CD handy to measure or weigh, but it's height is much greater than both others and I would guess it weighs more too.

So, the model 2 setup is nearly 5 times bigger than the CDX in terms of space and weighs more than twice as much (not even including the extra AC adapter). I'd call that drastic.
    It helps to read...

I compare the CDX footprint to that of a Genesis 2 ALONE to begin with.

Yeah but if you would've caught my drift in the above post my point was we're talking about Sega CDs, a model 2 Genesis alone isn't worth anything.

The CDX has its video connection on the SIDE if I remember correctly so it ends up taking up just as much space as a Genesis 2.
    Then compared the CDX footprint to that of a Genesis 1 + SCD 1.

Less than the full CD setup of a Genesis 1 / SCD 1, but not all that much.
    >I never compared a CDX to the footprint of a Genesis >2 + SCD 2.
    That's true, you didn't, I did.

>In the case of the Genesis 1 + SCD 1 setup the vertical >clearance doesn't matter since for the CDX you need to >open a disc lid and they both require the clearance for a >cartridge and a hand to insert Genesis cartridges.
    Except that it's much less for the CDX. Don't forget about putting Genesis cartridges in the G1 + S1 setup. The CDX door height when open is much less than the height of the G1 + S1 setup even with no cartridge installed. Not to mention the weight. Are you going to take the model 1 setup over to a friends? Possible but not likely. Are you going to take it on vacation? Remote possibility. The CDX is more versatile and has no real subjective weakness to either the model 1 or 2 setups (sans Radical Rex, Lunar 2 and the side exit AV).

Having cables stick out the side of a system is an eyesore and requires more space than just the footprint of the console or the footprint of the console + the length of the plug alone. The cables then need to be curved back around. This is a major gripe with the TurboDuo as well, the huge A/V multi out sticking out of the left side of the system.
    True.

A cableless system is nothing more than a
    paperweight.
    Profundity abounds.