Thread: What games take advantage of the Jaguar Pro Controller?

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What games take advantage of the Jaguar Pro Controller?

I am thinking about grabbing one from Ebay, I have several games for the Jag, but the only game I can think of that uses the Pro 6 button controller is Primal Rage CD. Is there anymore games that use the 6 button controls?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't own it, so this is only a starter list.

I know Fight for Life does. NBA Jam TE supposedly does, but I've always been able to play it fine without the Pro Controller.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As you may know the extra buttons on the ProController are simply easier to reach versions of some of the keypad buttons (Z, Y and X are 7, 8, 9 and L and R are 4 and 6), so many games even released before the controllers came out are enhanced by having them. Then a lot of the games that came out later had controller schemes set up obviously with the ProController in mind even if the ProController isn't a necessity like it is for Primal Rage (and alos Fight For Life). These are the ones that come to mind:

Atari Karts (L and R help in cornering)
    Super Burnout (L and R shift manual transmission)
    Missile Command 3D (zooming and rotation)
    Highlander (agonizing controls are slightly less agonizing)
    Battlemorph (has ProController specific control setting)

There's others, too. Really most of the later games are improved with the ProController. Overall, I'd totally recommend any Jag owner getting one. Not only are the extra buttons useful in a lot of games, but the new buttons and dpad have much, much better feel and response, plus the cable is longer which is a must. It's too bad that the extra buttons weren't remappable so that the controller would have been perfect for all the earlier games, but it's good enough as it is.

...worrd is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone know of any other Jag games that are optimized for the Pro Controller? I have been debating on getting one, because regular games can take advantage of it, but I was wondering if there were any more that were developed with the controller in mind?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wow, old thread...

Anyways, Alien vs. Predator makes good use of the ProController... which is a little odd, since it was released much earlier than the controller was! It just so happens that it uses 7 and 9 for strafing left and right and 8 for bringing up the map, which translates to the X, Y, and Z buttons nicely.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, the biggest draw to the Procontroller is the improved D-pad. It's a lot easier on my thumb than the 3 button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Alien vs. Predator makes good use of the ProController... which is a little odd, since it was released much earlier than the controller was! It just so happens that it uses 7 and 9 for strafing left and right and 8 for bringing up the map, which translates to the X, Y, and Z buttons nicely.
    --Zero
    Awesome! That's good to hear. I was playing AvP the other night and without resorting to the numeric pad, I had to hold the "B" button to strafe and then rock my thumb over to the "C" button to fire. It was a bit more cumbersome than I had remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    For me, the biggest draw to the Procontroller is the improved D-pad. It's a lot easier on my thumb than the 3 button.
    Cool! I never had a problem with the standard Jag controller until the other night. I have had Ultra Vortek for years but never really put much time into it, so I decided to sit down an give it a fair shot. While I think it is a pretty cool game I found that the Jag controller is not suited for games that require quick precise inputs. Its great for racing games, FPS, platformers etc. But it didn't seem so accurate for fighting games.

So it sounds like I would benefit from a Pro controller regardless if a game supports the extra buttons or not.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?