Thread: Road Rash 3DO music brings back lots of memories

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Road Rash 3DO music brings back lots of memories

Recently I had the chance to fire up ye ole Road Rash for the Panasonic 3DO. Alot of people don't remember that this version of Road Rash hit the 3DO before any of those "other" systems. It was also the first game to really take the idea of licensed music tracks and incorporate them into the game. Unfortunately, the music could only be heard in between the actual races, but still, it's pretty freaking amazing.

Playing this game again, and listening to those old songs, brought back some very good memories of getting my 3DO relatively early in 1994 as a open box unit at this store called Good Guys! for only $399.99. You see, the 3DO was expensive as fuck right then, and getting it for $399.99, even if it was an open box, was an incredible steal. The main reason I got it was to play Madden football, because at the time I was a big time Madden junkie. Of course I also wanted to play Total Eclipse and Crash N Burn on it as well, but Madden was the big draw. Once Madden was released, I had the aporpriate excuse to get one. Then, a few weeks or so later, Road Rash hit, and all hell broke loose.

Road Rash for the 3DO was a ground breaking game when it first hit. I still remember buying the game the day it hit the streets and rushing home and playing it non stop all day long. The most amazing thing to me, was that the game really appeared as good as anything in the Arcade. I mean, you could have hooked a 3DO to an arcade cabinet and snuck it in the Arcade, and it wouldn't have looked out of place at all. I really think that Road Rash for the 3DO, was like the first game that was really at the current arcade level in terms of graphics and overall presentation.

But man, the music was sick!! I'm not really a huge fan of that genre of music either, but I can recognize some good tunes when I hear them. Man, such sweet memories of early 3DO gaming back in 1994. What a cool time that was. Well before the arrival of Saturn or Playstation. Those systems were far off in the distance when Road Rash first hit for the 3DO. The craptacular 32X was also pretty far off in the distance. The Next Gen at that time was all about the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO, and Road Rash was the first big Next-Gen game of the 32 bit era that hit the scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

yeah I liked the 3DO version a lot, but for some reason my favourite Road Rash game is still Road Rash CD for the Sega Mega CD.

It had all the frontend and videos from the 3DO version, but had differently rendered sprites and used the old Genesis Road Rash 3 engine... for some reason I preferred it... I think it was because the 3DO version was too clean and crisp, and ran too slowly and smoothly... the jerks in the SCD version made it feel like you're going a lot faster and it was more enjoyable. Made it more frantic I think

Still, I think it's about time Road Rash made a comeback

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a real love/hate relationship with that version of Road Rash (i have it on PSX).

I like some things that were done in the game, but mostly it made me wish it would have included the refinments that "Road Rash 3" included.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys, Road Rash 3 came out after Road Rash 3DO. I wish Road Rash 3 had included some of the stuff introduced with the 3DO game. After playing the 3DO one, going back to all two-lane roads seemed passé.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the 3DO Road Rash. It's the only game I ever seem to play on my 3DO. I'm a huge fan of non-realistic racing games such as this that were made in the Genesis through PSX era. I love being able to just sit down and play for a race or two at a time.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Guys, Road Rash 3 came out after Road Rash 3DO. I wish Road Rash 3 had included some of the stuff introduced with the 3DO game. After playing the 3DO one, going back to all two-lane roads seemed passé.
    And most of the better ideas put into RR3 we're nearly that much of a stretch of imagination.

That and the sense of speed on the 3DO version (well, PSX anyway) seemed off.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

road rash for the 3DO really brings back some memories for me, because i was working at A&M records at the time, which was the label that the bands were on. panasonic sent some systems and games to the offices, and my girlfriend (who was a publicist there) ended up with a system, road rash, twisted, john madden football, bust-a-move and shockwave.

to be honest, the only reason i have a 3DO system at this point is to play a little of road rash, listen to the songs and watch the swervedriver video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still use and love my 3DO and play Road Rash and Twisted on a fairly regular basis.

Icebreaker [love the music loops in that game] and Starfighter still get my attention now and again aswell.

Something that many of you may not know ? Is the 3DO hardware was infact used almost completely unmodified in a few revisions of American Laser Games Mad Dog Mcree arcade machines.

Provided you got a decent shooting gun many of the gun games are alot of fun too
    You can have my Neo Turfmasters when you pry it from my cold dead lifeless hands !