Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesniper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

Default Beggar Prince LaserActive compatibility issue

Have any of you heard of any issues with Beggar Prince? I received my copy two days ago and played it on my LaserActive/PAC-S10. After 20 minutes, it locked up and since then I can't get any Genesis or Sega CD game to play for more than 30 seconds. I've cleaned all contacts and even the CD lens, to no avail. With the module removed, the laserdisc player functions are all intact, and I played 40 minutes of a movie without a hiccup.
    I've sent a message to the president of Super Fighter Team to find out more, but I bet my system is fried and they didn't test the game with every possible hardware iteration of Genesis. Any thoughts? Anyone hear of other problems with homebrews damaging hardware? Anyone think I'm an idiot for trying that game on my best Genesis version first? In retrospect, I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm, it's possible that the game might not play on a LaserActive. I'd like to hear a definite answer though. I have a LaserActive with Sega module that I use to play all my Genesis stuff and was thinking about ordering a copy of Beggar Prince.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Default Re: Beggar Prince LaserActive compatibility issue

Quote Originally Posted by gamesniper
    Have any of you heard of any issues with Beggar Prince? I received my copy two days ago and played it on my LaserActive/PAC-S10. After 20 minutes, it locked up and since then I can't get any Genesis or Sega CD game to play for more than 30 seconds. I've cleaned all contacts and even the CD lens, to no avail. With the module removed, the laserdisc player functions are all intact, and I played 40 minutes of a movie without a hiccup.
    I've sent a message to the president of Super Fighter Team to find out more, but I bet my system is fried and they didn't test the game with every possible hardware iteration of Genesis. Any thoughts? Anyone hear of other problems with homebrews damaging hardware? Anyone think I'm an idiot for trying that game on my best Genesis version first? In retrospect, I do.
    I was playing my copy on my ver.1 Genesis Thursday night and I got a lock up while moving on the world map. The screen went blank and I had to reset. Haven't seen it since but maybe there are still a few bugs in the code.

The game is fun. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

While the save function is incompatible with the Laseractive, otherwise the game will play normally in this machine. It's simply not possible for the game to be affecting the functionality of the Laseractive's Genesis module; the game isn't designed to do anything with the hardware besides execute itself and run the game - and it doesn't touch the CD unit at all.

Extensive testing was performed on the game before release, including testing on the Laseractive. No such situations as the one you've reported have occurred throughout our testing; the only drawback to using the game with a Laseractive is the lack of being able to save your game.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesniper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

Death Adder: thanks for the reply, and I'm glad that the game passed a compatibility test, but puzzled as to why my system's failure coincided with playing the game for the first time. Man, I hate unstable hardware. It's so hard to diagnose...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still think it needs to be made more obvious on the site that the game won't save when used with a 32X, CD-X/Multimega, Laseractive or Wondermega. It's still just saying that it'll play on ANY MD/Genny system. Which it obviously doesn't.

At the end of the day, if you're still interested in buying MD games, then there's a good chance you'll at least know of or even own some of the above systems.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if Beggar Prince works on the Aiwa CSD-GM1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    I wonder if Beggar Prince works on the Aiwa CSD-GM1?

I was actually wondering that too. There shouldn't be any compatability issues though. From what I've seen it's using the Mega CD 2 BIOS, and a standard MD in a funky shaped box.

I'd be impressed if they've tested on that too though!