Thread: Never seem to be able to let go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Never seem to be able to let go

The are a few Playstation games that I have bought in the past for a deal and intended to sell or decided to sell after playing them. Everytime that the thought comes across and I try to, I can't seem to let go. And the bad thing is that these games are worth some good money. I just can't seem to take the money and run. I seem to want to hold onto them for posterity.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have that problem. I learned the solution to the problem when I was little though. I would go out to a pawn shop and sell all my NES games to get SNES games. I later found my self rebuying what I once had and man what costly thing that has been. Needless to say after the SNES I sold NOTHING. I keep all my games now because I know down the road I am going to want them again and by that time its going to be worth a lot more then when I got them for. Plus I like having a huge ass collection so.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I don't want to play them and I'm not trying to collect every playstation title. One is Ogre Battle which I already have for SNES. I have not intention of ever getting rid of my SNES collection and having the two games on different system are a little redundant.

I do like being able to brag though that I have this game as well as a few others. And I realize that it will only go up in value. But so will other games and these couple of game can finance the purchase of the one that I do need.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Just as a rule of thumb, never sell anything you'll regret later.

If you have things you are considering selling, and have second thoughts about getting rid of them, don't sell. If you have to force yourself, you'll regret it later on. no matter how much they'll sell for, you'll always wonder what it'll be like to still have it, especially if it goes up in value.

Speaking from 1st hand experience here.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: Never seem to be able to let go

Quote Originally Posted by 50TBRD
    The are a few Playstation games that I have bought in the past for a deal and intended to sell or decided to sell after playing them. Everytime that the thought comes across and I try to, I can't seem to let go. And the bad thing is that these games are worth some good money. I just can't seem to take the money and run. I seem to want to hold onto them for posterity.
    I do this all the time. For a long time I bought anything Star Wars related of value. When I would buy them I would tell myself that I could later sell them for a profit -- but then once I owned it, I couldn't make myself sell them! I do the same thing with games and systems too. I suppose that's why I have half a dozen Dreamcasts sitting around on shelves.

I don't have a solution, but just know you're not alone!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh ye of weak will!

Seriously though. I know how you feel. In fact, one of the games I'm trying to get back is Earthbound. I sold that a year ago for reasons that still bewilder me. Ah yes, it was because it wasn't in pristine condition.

Seller's regret is the worst thing to have in this hobby, even moreso than buyer's remorse at times.

If you have second doubts, don't sell. In fact, you can try this little mind experiment. Let a family member or close friend not living with you to hold the games in question for an extended period of time. The further away they live the better. Mail it to them if you have to. Tell them to hide them from you.

You may or may not feel the pangs of game deprivity, since on the subconcious level you know you still "have them" so to speak. However, there is the rule of "out of sight, out of mind" for many material things in life. If you do feel yourself wanting to have the games in your actual possession, then it is a good sign to just keep the games and not sell.

Or, you can just find duplicate copies for cheap and then re-sell those if you really need money. Whatever games you have, I'm sure it's not that much where you can forgo some extra pleasures in life like going out to the movies, restaurants, etc. to save the money you would have made if you actually sold the games.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

i buy games and stuff that i know for sure i don't really need but know that i can sell them for a profit. I have had 3 copies of final fantasy 7 laying around in my collection and 2 suikoden 1's. I've had these for months and have yet to even sell the doubles. I saw final fantasy 7 shoot right up so i'm starting to wonder whether its just hype surrounding the movie or if its going to keep it value and even go up in time (since its considered one of the best rpgs of all time). I will eventually sell them, but i always wonder if some of these games will go up and make me rich or not.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

This advice may not be that good, since it is about selling your games in general. However, I hope you appreciate the opinion.

If I am conflicted with the sale, I get rid of the game (or games) that I am most likely to "find" again.

For that reason, the rarity guide here is useful. Read it enough and you may notice that some common games with a lower rarity number are "worth" more money than uncommon or hard-to-find games with higher rarity. Those are the ones you could start with, if you do eventually sell.

If you've got a few games worth some cash, it shouldn't be about the money alone. You also need to consider how common or uncommon it might be. A few fairly common games with a list price of $10-15 aren't a bad place to start. You'll have a better chance of finding those types of games in your local thrift shop for $2-3 than you will finding the games with an R6/R7 (or higher), whether the games with that type of rarity bring any real money or not.

Sooner or later you'll get lucky and stumble across many of the games you sell in a Goodwill store, a pawn shop or lawn sale, as long as you pick the right ones.

Owning the same game for two systems isn't that bad. What if one system gets sold or goes kaput? I have "Resident Evil 2" for N64 and PSX but still want to get it for another system. A great game is a great game, no matter where you play it.

If you are ever selling games for multiple systems, my course of action would be to sell the games for the system that is most common (i.e., NES, PSX, Atari 2600, Gameboy) since those will be a little easier to find when you are out in the wild than games for 3DO, Saturn or Jaguar. The more units a piece of hardware (system) sold, the more likely you are to find used games for it. Obvious point, I know.

Also consider how many years it has been since the system was mass-produced and which games are most common in your area. Bet you have an easier time finding NES or Super NES games than Atari Jaguar or Sega Master System. Try to avoid selling the stuff you'll never find again.

Hope I still have you after all that rambling double talk. Let us know what you do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're telling me. Thats how my jaguar and snes collections started. I didnt even really want an snes or the games for it. Now I am stuck with a snes with ~50 games.

I did force myself to sell mega man x3, I already had a pal copy for my saturn. And there was no reason on hold on to final fight guy as I already have final fight 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm sure just about everyone here can relate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The are a few Playstation games that I have bought in the past for a deal and intended to sell or decided to sell after playing them.
    You should feel good that you actually played them, rather than just buying them and leaving them sitting around.

Also, moving provides much incentive to divest oneself of one's unnecessary belongings.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    For that reason, the rarity guide here is useful. Read it enough and you may notice that some common games with a lower rarity number are "worth" more money than uncommon or hard-to-find games with higher rarity. Those are the ones you could start with, if you do eventually sell.
    I had never even thought about that point. One of the games is Ogre Battle and the other game is Tactics Ogre. I picked up Ogre Battle a long time ago for like 20 and I've seen it go for as much as 50. Tactics Ogre I picked up for 40 a couple of months ago and I see current bids from 50-90 and they haven't ended yet. Both are R5s. I don't really need the money but I do have a lot of expensive hobbies besides gaming which include DVDs, motorcyles, my Thunderbird and my Opel. I could always put the money else where. I do not intend to get rid of anything SNES at the moment which include Ogre Battle and I'm not particularly fond of either game. I don't believe that I would have a desire to acquire them again unless I started going all out on the Playstation, which I don't think that I will do.

There are a lot of good point here for both sides, but I may put these on ebay tommorrow night. Thanks all.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not being able to let go is a lot more favorable than selling stuff impulsively. I did that with my Dreamcast collection back when the PS2 launched, figuring that I could finance the PS2 and then quickly and easily re-amass the Dreamcast later, since the Dreamcast took off like a lead balloon with the general public.

I was half right. Luckily I live in an area where Dreamcast stuff is common in the wild.....but it ain't in minty condition. I traded in a mint Dreamcast collection back then and have re-amassed a larger but slightly scuffed and battered library in it's stead. It's my only console where the library isn't flawless, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I listed Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre on Ebay last night. So they are now going. I have enough bragging rights with the rest of my collection that I don't need them. Thank to all who responded and if you are looking for Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre check out my auctions. Item numbers 300001297116 and 300001295117.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I read a theory one time that said one reason people have trouble getting rid of things is because they have memories attached to those items. Another reason is because people want to "prove" that they own/owned something. One easy solution to this is taking pictures of stuff before you get rid of them. Before I throw away things from the garage I take pictures of them and keep the pictures. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive had this problem with so many games/consoles but now i just take the longer road and save up cuz in the end ill b happier to still have all my games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I refues to sell my stuff for Money..I worked so hard to finding stuff in Value Center, Goodwill & Online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Damn it if Flack isn't giving good advice here.

I once went through a case study of an old woman who, while living alone, saved every wrapper, case, and bag for every purchase she ever made. They were filed in cabinets in her basement, along with the receipts. 'Poor woman...

Anyway, the case study couldn't say so, but I think the old woman would have been better off sharing her life with someone else... Flack mentioned photographs as a way to "prove" ownership. Ownership proves existence, and if you existed, then you made a difference on the world and therefore have worth and power. It's an assuring feeling, and it's part of the reason why people collect. Well, if you open up your life to someone, that's even more assurance. It forms a 2-way bond that can only be broken in death.

Friends are the perfect addition to any serious gamer's collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember owning them and thats whats important to me. I don't need proof, I don't need to lie to anyone about them anyway.