Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a "classic game price guide" BOOK out the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default is there a "classic game price guide" BOOK out the

I've seen some guys carry this book that seems to list prices for classic games?? Think the cover is yellow?? Anyone know the name of this book?

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you perhaps referring to the wonderful Digital Press Price Guides?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean besides the DP Collector's Guide? The only other one I've heard of is the Video Game Bible.

I know the DP #5 guide has a lot of orange and yellows on the cover. Maybe it was that you saw.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    You mean besides the DP Collector's Guide? The only other one I've heard of is the Video Game Bible.

I know the DP #5 guide has a lot of orange and yellows on the cover. Maybe it was that you saw.
    what happened to the Video Game Bible guy?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: is there a "classic game price guide" BOOK out

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I've seen some guys carry this book that seems to list prices for classic games?? Think the cover is yellow?? Anyone know the name of this book?

if the book is smaller than the DP guides it might be a Pinball price guide (i alot of these at arcade auctions)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milhouseOFpain

He was smited.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack

He was smited.

#vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Video Game Collector is a good price guide magazine as well. I have four copies of the last issue if you want to buy one.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson
    Video Game Collector is a good price guide magazine as well. I have four copies of the last issue if you want to buy one.
    VGC is excellent.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He was smited.

i think smitten is the correct word here

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

He was smited.

Smited is a word.

To answer the original question, the VGB guy and Randy Crihfield are sitting around together talking about the good old days, when they were internet big shots, before their names were sullied

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    To answer the original question, the VGB guy and Randy Crihfield are sitting around together talking about the good old days, when they were internet big shots, before their names were sullied
    What happened? I remember for a couple years, there was a lot of hype about the VGB before it was published. Did it just suck badly and faded away?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The guys at Dark Watcher's Consoles and I attempted to do a VG price guide (before I realized Digital Press had one). It never got off the ground though The bigwigs at Digital Press must have superhuman powers to actually make it happen.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What happened? I remember for a couple years, there was a lot of hype about the VGB before it was published. Did it just suck badly and faded away?
    When he got a few bad reviews for the book, some of them right here on this board, he flipped out and alienated a bunch of people. Down came the web site and that was that. He now lives a more anonymous life on other forums, having taken a few too many lumps here to consider a comeback.

As for the book:

Just the usual typographical errors, for the most part, from the reviews I read. He did get a lot of questions asking him what grounds he had to give some of the price figures he did. A lot less research went into it, compared to other guides on the market. I've been meaning to pick up a copy, though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He was smited.

Smited is a word.

do you have proof of this? i typed dictionary in google then tried the first five links, no listing for SMITED.

i believe the Oxford dictionary is generally regarded as the official resource for the english language but their site requires some kind of sign up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

He was smited.

Smited is a word.

do you have proof of this? i typed dictionary in google then tried the first five links, no listing for SMITED.

i believe the Oxford dictionary is generally regarded as the official resource for the english language but their site requires some kind of sign up.
    I never use the word but it is one of those that pops up in slang dictionaries. I was just pointing out that Flack was indeed using the word "smited" and not "smitten."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flack was using smited as it appears in the Bible, which was why it was so funny. And apparently, smote, smite, and smitten are all forms of the same verb. Stick THAT in your Funk and Wagnalls!!
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    Flack was using smited as it appears in the Bible, which was why it was so funny. And apparently, smote, smite, and smitten are all forms of the same verb. Stick THAT in your Funk and Wagnalls!!
    I never read the Video Game Bible, so I missed the reference, but I read a slang dictionary and saw the word "smited." I also see it on a few message boards from time to time.

He was run off of here so fast that I think he forgot to grab his shoes. You know, the Keds sitting in the corner with his name on them Unconfirmed reports have said he keeps a bottle of Pepto Bismol and a roll of Tums handy in case someone mentions this place. Locating him these days is like trying to find Bigfoot. Just look for the fella with this look on his face.

Seriously, though, for every 100 people who say they are going to publish a book, it only comes true for maybe 1 or 2 of them. Even in this age of internet and self publishing, it isn't as easy as people make it out to be. You have to give him credit for that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    I never read the Video Game Bible, so I missed the reference, but I read a slang dictionary and saw the word "smited." I also see it on a few message boards from time to time.

He was run off of here so fast that I think he forgot to grab his shoes. You know, the Keds sitting in the corner with his name on them Unconfirmed reports have said he keeps a bottle of Pepto Bismol and a roll of Tums handy in case someone mentions this place. Locating him these days is like trying to find Bigfoot. Just look for the fella with this look on his face.

Seriously, though, for every 100 people who say they are going to publish a book, it only comes true for maybe 1 or 2 of them. Even in this age of internet and self publishing, it isn't as easy as people make it out to be. You have to give him credit for that.

i got the joke, it WAS funny

smited is not a word no matter what some message boards that you look at from time to time might say

i thought the book was ok, i looked throught it many times and read most of it. i dont think i would ever use it as a "bible" but i dont think i will do that with any other rarity or price info relating to videogames in the near future

i have an extra copy of the book if anyone is interested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

He is a Atari age member. He hasn't logged in since feb. of this year though.