Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is there a "classic game price guide" BOOK out the

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouseOFpain
    what happened to the Video Game Bible guy?
    He is a Atari age member. He hasn't logged in since feb. of this year though.
    Is that the same guy whose gigantic face is featured on the cover of the Video Game Bible? That's a creepy looking dude (and a wacked-out cover).

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    Flack was using smited as it appears in the Bible, which was why it was so funny. And apparently, smote, smite, and smitten are all forms of the same verb. Stick THAT in your Funk and Wagnalls!!
    I never read the Video Game Bible, so I missed the reference, but I read a slang dictionary and saw the word "smited." I also see it on a few message boards from time to time.

He was run off of here so fast that I think he forgot to grab his shoes. You know, the Keds sitting in the corner with his name on them Unconfirmed reports have said he keeps a bottle of Pepto Bismol and a roll of Tums handy in case someone mentions this place. Locating him these days is like trying to find Bigfoot. Just look for the fella with this look on his face.

Seriously, though, for every 100 people who say they are going to publish a book, it only comes true for maybe 1 or 2 of them. Even in this age of internet and self publishing, it isn't as easy as people make it out to be. You have to give him credit for that.

i got the joke, it WAS funny

smited is not a word no matter what some message boards that you look at from time to time might say

i thought the book was ok, i looked throught it many times and read most of it. i dont think i would ever use it as a "bible" but i dont think i will do that with any other rarity or price info relating to videogames in the near future

i have an extra copy of the book if anyone is interested
    As I said above, I never read the book. What do you want for the extra copy? PM me sometime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just kinda skimmed through the thread, but prices and values of games change alot so you can't really have a book, since it will get outdated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    what happened to the Video Game Bible guy?
    He is a Atari age member. He hasn't logged in since feb. of this year though.
    Is that the same guy whose gigantic face is featured on the cover of the Video Game Bible? That's a creepy looking dude (and a wacked-out cover).
    Link to VG Bible cover pic

That guy is creepy lookin on that cover

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A real piece of garbage can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I have a copy of the VGB, and while I don't consult it much for prices or rarities I think it's a pretty good read. The perk is that there's a short description for literally every game, with some of them stretching on for a while with some stories and extra thoughts on whether or not the game being talked about was a bad one. Think the Santulli Slant, but a bit more often, and less "review-like" in presentation (meaning more informal and without ratings numbers... though I've thoroughly enjoyed a number of them, they're fun to read through too ).

I only wish the guys at VGB would've put out the other books they were promising at the time, for imports, handhelds and "classic" stuff (like the two different DP guides, which should be bought, they're great books, read them and buy them and enjoy them forEVER AAAHAHAHAHA!!!...).

*cough*

Yeah. My $0.02 if anyone's interested.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    I have a copy of the VGB, and while I don't consult it much for prices or rarities I think it's a pretty good read. The perk is that there's a short description for literally every game, with some of them stretching on for a while with some stories and extra thoughts on whether or not the game being talked about was a bad one. Think the Santulli Slant, but a bit more often, and less "review-like" in presentation (meaning more informal and without ratings numbers... though I've thoroughly enjoyed a number of them, they're fun to read through too ).

I only wish the guys at VGB would've put out the other books they were promising at the time, for imports, handhelds and "classic" stuff (like the two different DP guides, which should be bought, they're great books, read them and buy them and enjoy them forEVER AAAHAHAHAHA!!!...).

*cough*

Yeah. My $0.02 if anyone's interested.
    Whether or not those prices and rarities are current or 100% accurate may be debatable. However, I'd expect anyone reading it would at least be able to get an idea of what games are really worth picking up at a flea market, lawn sale or Goodwill store. Even if they are $5-10 off, or a couple rarity points off, it should be somewhat useful. It is better than nothing.

Although the author's face looks like a plastic facsimile of the Michael Myers (Halloween) mask on the cover........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default It cant be blasted

Well, I have the VGB and I have to say although it is now outdated and has incorrect data, it was out a good TWO years before the DP advance guide came to be. Some of the reviews are redundant and lame but overall I have used it a ton for oddball systems such as the Laseractive and others. THe bottom line is that it was the first guide for the 16 bit systems + beyond and it had some good information. While the book also had some horrible info(Genesis games that were never made), I take it for what it was, a reference guide for collectors made by a handful of people who were serious collectors. Yes the DP advance guide is way better, as it should be considering the people who worked and contributed to the book. I consider the VG bible a "nice first try" that has been replaced with the DP advance.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's another one called "The Official Price Guide to Classic Video Games". I'm not sure how good it is, but I saw it once and it appeared to be a really nicely put-together book. But it's almost two years old now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The key word is "GUIDE".
    A fairly good reference point for the starting of negotiating a price.

While no book can deal with the "What's Hot" this week/month fad.

At least a good guide will keep you from selling Stadium Events for a couple of dollars.

But with these guides out in the wild, it make the hunt for the Holy Grails harder to find at "You'll never believe what I paid for * !!!"

Knowlege = Power!
    Power = Wealth!
    Wealth = Complete Collections!
    Complete Collections = !

IMO.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Video Game Collector mag is a really decent guide with a full price list in every issue...

That mag needs some more recognition (and a better website would probably help ) !