Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ign's worst 10 coin-up Conversions-bad list and reasoning

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played the snes version of dragon's lair but i know its cousin space ace was terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so tired of IGN's fanboy attitude. The only reason it sticks around is because the higher ups at IGN share this same pig headed outlook on games, and it filters down to their employees.

Problems with IGN's examples:

Mortal Kombat for the SNES is perfectly fine in the gameplay department. Is this all we want? Blood? How superficial. At the time the whole blood factor was a hot issue for 16-bit users. Mortal Kombat was at the epicenter of my game world back when it was released. The removal of fatalities and blood didn't break the SNES port of Mortal Kombat as a video game. If the game was never released in arcades, and came out on the SNES as a system exclusive it would have been praised as an amazing fighting game. At the time I was a Genesis user, and I still favor the Genesis version for it's tight gameplay, but the SNES version was no slouch. It had a graphical edge on the genesis version and it's levels were much more detailed.

Since I was a Genesis fan, I played Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition. My brother had an SNES, but he really didn't get into fighting games as much as I did. We had rented the SNES version, so I knew how good it was. After a long wait, the Genesis release of Street Fighter II finally came. I was really excited to get this game on my console. Was I dissapointed? No way. The game wasn't as polished as the SNES version, but it was still a very good arcade conversion of Street Fighter II. I play it with my friends and they didn't notice a thing. Also, the whole 6 button controller argument is stupid. If you play fighting games on the Genesis, and seriously enjoyed them you had no business playing these games with a 3 button controller. I remember at the time how easy it was to go out and buy either an arcade stick, or a 6 button controller. There is no excuse and using this to say that Street Figther II Special Championship Edition is a bad port, is moronic in every way. How could ANYONE get Street Fighter II to work any better with the 3 button controller. IGN talks as if Capcom forced users to press the start button to switch between kicks and punches. The controller had 3 buttons!!!!! How could another developer do any better than this!?!?

IGN gets another "thumbs down" from me. They are digging up old fanboy arguements. The only reason why someone says that MK on either system is crap, or that SF2 on the genesis is crap, is to reinforce their own preference. For some reason they are incapable of saying that one game is good and the other is very good. They have to say one is amazing and the other is complete crap.

Here are some games IGN should have had in their list:

Virtua Racing (Sega Saturn) - While Virtua Fighter could go either way, Virtua Racing is a travesty. This game got completly ruined, and when you have people urging you to buy the 32X version over the Saturn version, you know something is up. Virtua Racing Deluxe blows away the saturn version. Which is a mess.

Fatal Fury 3 (Sega Saturn) - This game was dissapointing. SNK opted not to use a RAM cart with this title. The game suffers from a choppy framerate and has missing animation frames. For shame.

View Point (Playstation) - This is not really a port per say but more of a remake. Taking View Point from 2D and turning it into 3D. This game is a nightmare on so many levels I can't even bring myself to play the game. I heard some reviews that it was bad, but I wanted to see for myself. This is one of the few shmups that I can definatly say needs to be lit on fire and thrown in the garbage. The game will get so sluggish and so choppy, as if a fat lady is sitting on your playstation. What's worse is that the choppiness isn't even consistant. So you will die over and over simply because the game will slowdown, speed up, slow down, speed up in short bursts as you are playing. If you don't believe me, break this game out for yourself and see.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, they look like morons before they even get started. These games are ports, no? Arcade "conversions" occur when an existing, physical arcade game is "converted" into another game, usually through swapping out the board, marquee, control panel, and artwork. I was expecting to see a list of hacked up Pac-Man cabinets with DDR in them. Ignorant.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    I am so tired of IGN's fanboy attitude. The only reason it sticks around is because the higher ups at IGN share this same pig headed outlook on games, and it filters down to their employees.

Problems with IGN's examples:

Mortal Kombat for the SNES is perfectly fine in the gameplay department. Is this all we want? Blood? How superficial. At the time the whole blood factor was a hot issue for 16-bit users. Mortal Kombat was at the epicenter of my game world back when it was released. The removal of fatalities and blood didn't break the SNES port of Mortal Kombat as a video game. If the game was never released in arcades, and came out on the SNES as a system exclusive it would have been praised as an amazing fighting game. At the time I was a Genesis user, and I still favor the Genesis version for it's tight gameplay, but the SNES version was no slouch. It had a graphical edge on the genesis version and it's levels were much more detailed.

Since I was a Genesis fan, I played Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition. My brother had an SNES, but he really didn't get into fighting games as much as I did. We had rented the SNES version, so I knew how good it was. After a long wait, the Genesis release of Street Fighter II finally came. I was really excited to get this game on my console. Was I dissapointed? No way. The game wasn't as polished as the SNES version, but it was still a very good arcade conversion of Street Fighter II. I play it with my friends and they didn't notice a thing. Also, the whole 6 button controller argument is stupid. If you play fighting games on the Genesis, and seriously enjoyed them you had no business playing these games with a 3 button controller. I remember at the time how easy it was to go out and buy either an arcade stick, or a 6 button controller. There is no excuse and using this to say that Street Figther II Special Championship Edition is a bad port, is moronic in every way. How could ANYONE get Street Fighter II to work any better with the 3 button controller. IGN talks as if Capcom forced users to press the start button to switch between kicks and punches. The controller had 3 buttons!!!!! How could another developer do any better than this!?!?
    I didn't even mention Mortal Kombat! Seeing that I never played the arcade version, I wasn't attached to the blood or fatalities. I thought the Super NES version was great.

SF2:CE was also well-done. I can live with the laryngitis voices and slightly washed out graphics. Considering that series was built on gameplay, you got the same thing the arcade delivered on the Genesis. It is not like the SFII games had the best looking graphics in the arcade by any stretch of the imagination. Why does it make any difference how they look at home on a 16-bit console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

The SNES Mortal Kombat is on the list? What the hell? Despite the lack of brutality, the game was great and people prefered it over the Genesis version. I remember the Genesis version not being that great control wise compares with the SNES, but it's better because it has all the violence? Ignorance.

Strider on NES was a classic in its own right, I actually prefer it over the ones released on Genesis.

There was nothing wrong at all with Final Fight. Guy was cool and all, but it was still a solid game without him. I could have sworn that you were able to play it 2 player tho, guess I might have confused it with something else.

Yet another "lets post it because we don't have anything else" article by IGN.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That list stunk. I agree with a few of them (mostly the older games for the 2600 and such) but the inclusion of Smashing Drive really blew their credibility right out the door. I mean, the whole article is about games that started out in arcades that took a big hit when they went to home consoles. To say that Smashing Drive belongs on the list because the arcade game sucked the first time around makes no sense and defeats the entire purpose of the article. Stoopid.

And for the record... Virtua Fighter 2 for the Saturn is phenominal. I mean, it's playing on very complicated hardware that still wasn't well understood at the time the game was released (late 1995!) AND they were rushing to get it out the door in time for the holidays. Take a look at the Saturn Shenmue video and tell me that Saturn wasn't powerful enough to do an even better port of VF2, even more amazing that the one it got. Well, you could certainly SAY it but you'd have about as much credibility as that IGN article has.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ign's worst 10 coin-up Conversions-bad list and reasonin

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/715/715300p1.html
    This link has their commits about each game

Ign's 10 games is the following with my thoughts about each game mentioned:

Moral Kombat-snes
    Never played this version. The reasoning behing putting it here is childish. This is not 1993. Taking the violence out is not a good reason. If it is because of the gameplay then it makes sense. Based on ign's reasoning, I think Double dragon for the 2600 should replace it. I never played the 2600 version, but pulling most of the moves with one button with the graphics being off.
    Taking the blood out was a huge thing for me at the time. Mortal Kombat was *so cool* after SFII because it was so visceral. Watching and hearing people's spines get ripped out was groundbreaking and exciting. The gameplay was never a big draw - but the moves were cool and the powerful ones rained blood across the screen. Even now I would never play the SNES version because of the lack of blood. But does that make it one of the 10 worst ports? Not hardly.

Street Fighter 2: Special Championship Edition -genesis
    WTF? Just because It doesn't work on a 3 button controller. While Mk Series can be played with the 3 button, the 6 button controller is better for those games. Nes version of rampage should replace it. 2 characters are in the nes version and the graphics weren't the best.
    Absolutely ludicrous. The whole 6-button issue is unbelievable. The author doesn't seem to be a real gamer anyway. This is the kind of list that can be made by anyone using internet research. It's vaguely on point in some places but overall an insult even to noobs.

SFII:SCE is an excellent game. How good of a port is it? A great port. But nothing like the accuracy of even the original SFII for SNES. That would be on the list of best ports ever. But the Genesis game, while not an excellent port is still an excellent game. The timing is a little different, but it's fine once you get used to it. It's not bad, just slightly different. Yeah, the graphics are the low spot in comparison to the other versions but as a standalone Genesis game it looks great. The sound is decidedly mediccre but it seems they didn't have much ROM space left. It's not like the Genesis couldn't have done those sounds and effects much better. Plus, the 6-button controller has the proper arcade configuration! Almost all SNES controllers suck for fighters and I don't like joysticks. I do have a 3rd party SNES controller with the proper arcade configuration but it's the only one I've ever seen.

Virtua Fighter-saturn
    I thought this version was rushed like ign stated but, this version is not bad compare to Virtua Fighter 2 for the genesis. The Genesis Version of virtua Fighter 2 Was in 2d, the playable of the game stinks. When you do some moves, it feels like the game is in slow motion. Virtua fighter would of been better of not being on the genesis since the 32x was dead by then.
    Graphics = shoddy. Gameplay = good. Top 10 worst port? Of course not.

Pac-man -2600
    One I can agree on
    Yeah, that one is garbage. At least they got near the ballpark on this one.
    Seems like ign's list had little thought to decide what games should be listed with checking if the game was based on something else. Some of their reasons for their picks was bad.
    I swear to God that article was not written by a gamer...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Word. I'm wondering where the PS versions of SF Alpha II and Darkstalkers are. Hell, put any of Capcom's 2D fighters on that list (Marvel vs. Capcom anyone?).
    GOOD CALL! Just look at the PSX version of X-Men Vs. SF compared to the Saturn version. Yes, the RAM limitation is the issue, but that is a ridiculous oversight.

The individual who wrote the article might be one of the more worldly (in a gaming sense) writers at IGN, but this list is a bit ridiculous. There are way too many games on the list that don't belong there (as everyone has masterfully highlighted already). SFII SCE, Smashing Drive (which is a near perfect conversion (!?!?)), Virtua Fighter & Strider are all not good choices. When comparing to the Coleco or NES versions, the 2600 version of DK is weak, but it too isn't that bad. Pac Man remains a travesty.

Honestly, one could probably substitute either of the Saturn Daytonas for the VF port, though the original played great while looking like ass. CCE was a missed opportunity and no longer a true port. As we all know, the only thing that really hurts the Genesis SFII is the voices. Needing to buy a new pad for a game is something quite accepted at this point (anyone with the SFII Anniversary pads can understand this).

You really could put any 8-bit arcade conversion on this list using his "criteria". Here is my knee-jerk list in no particular order (using some of his, and limited to US titles):

Final Fight (SNES) - No explanation needed. He got this one right.

Mortal Kombat (SNES) - For the reasons he outlined. It looked and sounded way better than the Genny version, but, as we all know, the gore is why one plays MK.

Pac Man (Atari 2600) - I'll give him this one too. Still makes me shudder.

Fatal Fury (SNES) - Talk about a port that destroys any love you may have had for the original. Nigh unplayable. Keeping bad Neo Geo ports to a minimum, and this is by far the worst of the lot (yes, even worse than the PSX "upgrade" of Viewpoint).

Cruis'n USA (N64) - Considering that they originally touted this as evidence of the power of the yet to be finalized Ultra 64 hardware, the actual home port we got is horrible. The draw distance is so close that it ruins the experience. It is also one of those games where you feel like they really could have done better, especially considering how well the SF Rush games turned out, despite their ubiquitous fogging.

Outrunners (Genesis) - Considering how wonderful the arcade game is, this doesn't even belong in the same sentence. Turbo OutRun would have given this a run for its money had it been released in the US. (Someone needs to throw together a REAL Sega Ages that includes true versions of both of these games and Rad Mobile already!!!)

Raiden Trad (SNES) - By far the worst port of this game outside of the Lynx version which wasn't widely released.

Revolution X (all systems) - Not a great game in the first place, but NONE of the conversions had light gun support (when they could and should have), and the 32-Bit versions unnecessarily looked and sounded as bad as the 16-Bit games. Any of the ports could have at least been a nice diversion with a gun. Revolution X is WAAAAY worse than Smashing Drive ever was.

X-Men Vs. SF (PSX) - As outlined above, this game removes the very reason to play the arcade original. All of the PSX Capcom fighter ports suffered in some way, but this one was the first that was a true disappointment on all levels.

Virtua Racing (Saturn) - The worst version of them all. Time Warner Interactive got the graphics right for the most part, and added a slew of extras that had the potential to be pretty fun, but the control SUCKS. A real disappointment for me when I bought it back in the day.

Now, I left out Steel Talons and Hard Drivin' on all systems due to the fact that they shouldn't have even tried considering the technology at the time. Left out Fighting Street for the TG-16 CD because it is actually a good port of near uncontrollable source material. I also tried to be fair, and stuck to the most egregious offenders. Leaving out Japanese titles meant that I had to drop the PCE CD version of Altered Beast that is so bad it's comical.

It really is tough to narrow this down, but this list was a total joke. I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt to someone, but talk about not even scratching the surface of an issue! What a waste of time.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien

Cruis'n USA (N64) - Considering that they originally touted this as evidence of the power of the yet to be finalized Ultra 64 hardware, the actual home port we got is horrible. The draw distance is so close that it ruins the experience. It is also one of those games where you feel like they really could have done better, especially considering how well the SF Rush games turned out, despite their ubiquitous fogging.
    Count me as one who thought this port was shit. I loved the arcade game but this port made me weep. (and not because i dislike the N64).

Outrunners (Genesis) - Considering how wonderful the arcade game is, this doesn't even belong in the same sentence. Turbo OutRun would have given this a run for its money had it been released in the US. (Someone needs to throw together a REAL Sega Ages that includes true versions of both of these games and Rad Mobile already!!!)
    AMEN! Sega needs to put a fire under thier ass and bring out the goods.

"Outrunners" (GEN) was choppy and too damn easy. I'd like to play the actual arcade version one day (without that friggin 2nd player taking up half the screen!)

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Come on, I am begging you. The Super NES Final Fight has some faults, but it doesn't belong on any top 10 list of worst arcade conversions.

Let's face it. The character who got axed, Guy, sucks. No reach and his moves are the weakest. The only thing he has over Cody is that his outfit is cooler. Capcom probably had to make a decision between cutting Cody or Guy and they made the right choice. Even Cody is only good for using his punches to stop the arrows fired by the final boss at the very end of the first game. That and he is a little better at throwing enemies into one another than Haggar but that is it.

Everyone knows the only character worth using in a Final Fight game, any of the three, is Haggar, anyway. I don't even like using Guy in Final Fight 3. There was a legitimate reason that Haggar was the only one to appear in all three of the Super NES games and it is not just because the storylines always center around him.

Joe's review below sums up all you need to know about Final Fight. The game isn't perfect but it doesn't belong on the list, either. When it first appeared on Super NES, it had the best graphics and biggest characters ever seen in a beat-em up on a major home console at that time. This fact is airtight and there is no way around it. This is the final and definitive word on the merits of Final Fight.

Here is the link:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/finlfite.htm

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it a bad conversion because Capcom ripped out 2-player play.

If i can grab a buddy to bust heads in the arcade i should damn well be able to do it with my "arcade conversion" in my own home.

The only time i had fun playing any FF game was when i had a buddy to play along...but thats another story for another time.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

If i can grab a buddy to bust heads in the arcade i should damn well be able to do it with my "arcade conversion" in my own home.

The only time i had fun playing any FF game was when i had a buddy to play along...but thats another story for another time.
    If that is the case, how come Double Dragon on NES never gets listed on any of those countdowns?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Eh, they look like morons before they even get started. These games are ports, no? Arcade "conversions" occur when an existing, physical arcade game is "converted" into another game, usually through swapping out the board, marquee, control panel, and artwork. I was expecting to see a list of hacked up Pac-Man cabinets with DDR in them. Ignorant.
    Don't make yourself look like a fool picking nits. It is a list of arcade conversion, even if it isn't in your own little world.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They also missed U.S. Gold's Out Run conversions. All of them. It's an inexplicable oversight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit
    The SNES Mortal Kombat is on the list? What the hell? Despite the lack of brutality, the game was great and people prefered it over the Genesis version. I remember the Genesis version not being that great control wise compares with the SNES, but it's better because it has all the violence? Ignorance.
    The Genesis version of MK outsold the SNES one by almost 3 to 1. That's why MK2 on the SNES was allowed to be released intact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango

If that is the case, how come Double Dragon on NES never gets listed on any of those countdowns?
    Good question. But let's not forget that Double Dragon for the NES did include a 2-player 'versus' mode.

Personally, I love the single-player experience of Double Dragon on the NES. Conversely, I can't stand playing Final Fight (1) in single player mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango

Good question. But let's not forget that Double Dragon for the NES did include a 2-player 'versus' mode.

Personally, I love the single-player experience of Double Dragon on the NES. Conversely, I can't stand playing Final Fight (1) in single player mode.
    I may be in the minority but I never enjoyed two-player simultaneous games, particularly beat-em ups. I mean I like the games but most of the time I would rather play them alone. The only exception would be family members, who I never pass up an opportunity to team up with.

The reason is that nine out of ten times, I am a better player than the person I am playing with. It gets aggravating since a lot of games have the two players sharing lives, credits or attributes.

I just don't like having lives or continues eaten up by dead weight when I could get further playing on my own Especially when you are in a game where the two players teaming up can hurt each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I can agree that the gore is why people play Mortal Kombat, the SNES version has no place on that list. It's not even the worst port of Mortal Kombat. Ever played the Game Boy version? It lacks gore and it lacks any playability whatsoever!

That controller argument for Genesis is retarded as well. Why would Capcom make their game a "ploy" to sell 6-button controllers when they didn't even make one themselves? Who the hell actually played fighters on Genesis with a 3-button pad anyway? Anybody who played fighting games had a 6-button controller.

Strider for NES and Dragon's Lair for SNES aren't at all ports of the arcade games. Wtf?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If the standard is strictly games that fail to match the arcade version, whether or not they are still fun, then Ninja Gaiden (NES) might as well be on there. It had virtually nothing to do with the arcade game. We all know how ridiculous that sounds. However, they seem to believe a game that isn't a 100% match in every way belongs on the list.

All I have to say to the guy who made the list is, "Back to the drawing board. Better luck next time. Feel free to rewrite or delete that abomination like it never existed."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Favorite quote: "Pac-Man, a game that's literally taken the world by storm, is one of the hottest names in popular culture."

AWESOME. Pac-Man himself has entered our dimension and has LITERALLY taken us over by using the power of storm, raining death upon us all from his chariot made of thunder.