Thread: Multimedia 1.0 (NYC) Still Open?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Multimedia 1.0 (NYC) Still Open?

I'm going to be spending some time in New York city and was wondering if Multimedia 1.0 is still open. I remember some time ago that it was for sale, but never heard what ended up happening.

Are there any other stores besides Nintendo World and J&L that I should visit while I'm there?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It's in the east villiage now.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I havent been there this year yet but, yup, its still there. They sold it awhile ago and the new owners are just as snotty as the old ones Prices also seemed to be about the same as the old owners had them at...over priced as "rare" games. I'm actually gonna go take a look in there again on Saturday and see how things have been holding up over there.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

take pics!

buy 6 jewl incrusted GBA and DSs while your there too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    take pics!

buy 6 jewl incrusted GBA and DSs while your there too
    I actually have a fear that I'll do something like that when I walk into that store. There will be some completely useless piece of gaming history that I'll buy for no real reason other than to have bought something there.

I doubt I'll buy six of them though.. Hope not anyway!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's now on 3rd avenue and 6th street. they changed the name of it (well on the awning it now says Video Games NYC). it's kinda messy in there but a little bigger than their other store. i picked up two WAY overpriced turbografx 16 games cuz i had found a tg16 recently. 35 for one and 15 for the other. legendary axe and rtype. they want 70 dollars for bonks adventure (but luckily i got that with the tg i got). i cant believe i wasted 300 bux waaaaaay back when they first got their DS lites in (glad i guess cuz ive enjoyed it and it's the light blue one tho i wish i had a one or black one now oh well). it was from a a purchase of a virtual boy there (300 dollars) and took it home it didnt really work but they wouldnt give me my money back only trade for something else so i opted for the ds.

anyway sorry for the long rant. i had to remember my password here cuz i wanted to answer your question about the new location and name since i go there a lot and live in manhattan. btw i owe someone 5 bux for a dreamcast game but i have no idea who. i wound up moving at the time really fast and lost the info if that sounds familiar pm me what game it was and ill pay you back.

-rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info Rob. If they are charging that much for games, how do they pay? I've got spare copies of both Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge. Might be a good way for me to make some spending money while I'm there! I'll work under the assumption that they pay very poorly for stuff traded in though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think the prices for games are comparable to gamestop and eb for new gen. i dont know about the old stuff. the old stuff, sytems, etc sit there really pricey in glass but it's like a video game museum. ive spent a lot bad purchases in there (bad for moneywise and cant afford it but good cuz i got stuff i really like except the damn broken virtual boy). i know this ISNT the right place for this i lurk a lot here but there's someone who is selling about 30 Master systems games boxed and about 20 genesis games mostly boxed, 2 master gear converters, a sega cd with 4 games (three of which i dont have and would like) and i think a genesis. i dont know which model. but it's all for 100 bux. if anyone wants to go halvsies or split up the lot totally PM me that would be great. i have the list on my emails at work. all i want out of the deal would be the master system games and one converter and maybe one or two of the sega cd games (i only have 4. multimedia has a ton of them. actually they are pretty cheap for those as well as jaguar games.. i bought my jaguar there for cheap which was cool).

anyway sorry for rambling again, but im glad to be able to actually post again. this topic made me wanna join in. anyone in this thread who is in nyc area who has stuff to trade im so up for it (again sorry if this shoudl be in another forum but im just gonna hit up asking here cuz id love to).

ps... tips for multimedia "new york videogames" the fat gay asian kid at multimedia is a total asswipe. the other people there are not that bad really and usually pretty down to earth. Im gay btw so im not saying anything bad about gay people. just if you are in that store or go there be aware of him. he totally pissed me off the last time i went in there and he laughed at me (literally laughed at me and didnt answer my question about if the tg duo controllers work in the old tg16 console. i wanted to pick up a spare controller cuz i dont know how good mine is. i was like (in my head fuck you dude and just bought the games and left). dont ask him questions he's a rude queen to the max. the chick with the curly brown hair is really nice tho. and the older guy who i would imagine is the new owner? he's nice too.

-rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I was about to say why couldnt you thank ME for the info.....then I realize they actually DID move! When did they move? The last time I was there was in Dec/Jan and they were still right there in St.Marks. At least it's nice to know their pricing is just the same There used to be a not-too-bad video game place here in Queens near me, but they closed about 3 years ago. I still go to J&L every now and then, used to go to GameExpress but I heard they closed too, and now I gotta check out on Sat the NEW Multimedia. By the way, is there anything there now where Multimedia used to be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    I was about to say why couldnt you thank ME for the info.....then I realize they actually DID move! When did they move? The last time I was there was in Dec/Jan and they were still right there in St.Marks. At least it's nice to know their pricing is just the same There used to be a not-too-bad video game place here in Queens near me, but they closed about 3 years ago. I still go to J&L every now and then, used to go to GameExpress but I heard they closed too, and now I gotta check out on Sat the NEW Multimedia. By the way, is there anything there now where Multimedia used to be?
    I certainly didn't mean to not thank you. Just got caught up in the normal work crap around here and it slipped my mind. So, thanks!!

So I guess there's not really any chance of reasonable prices in the city then? I've been to J&L before and they were ok on price. Not good, but not as bad as I've seen before. Is MM worse than them? How about the Nintendo store, do they jack their prices or are they the same as everywhere else?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they only moved like 3-4 weeks ago. i only knew cuz they still had a sign about moving outside the old shop on st. marks. they are not going to get the same kind of random foot traffic at the new place that they had on st. marks, but then again that might be a good thing cuz it was a lot of kids just gawking at the newer stuff really. not that that's bad or anything but the store was tiny and it was always crowded.

-rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they only moved like 3-4 weeks ago. i only knew cuz they still had a sign about moving outside the old shop on st. marks. they are not going to get the same kind of random foot traffic at the new place that they had on st. marks, but then again that might be a good thing cuz it was a lot of kids just gawking at the newer stuff really. not that that's bad or anything but the store was tiny and it was always crowded.

eta - J&L in chinatown i went to cuz someone here mentioned it. i cant make heads or tails of their japanese imports for saturn cuz of the way they are set up. i dont know what's good. the place is okay for older import stuff and they have neo geo stuff (i dont collect for that tho).

-rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Now I actually look forward to seeing the "new" Multimedia store. I used go to high schoool one block over and I went to Multimedia at least once a week. Although it was overpriced, I used to like to just look at everything and daydream Anyways, I wanna go see if they have any good Super Fami games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Well, I took a trip downtown yesterday and, sure enough, they have moved. They are now across the street from my old high school. I tell you, if they were there when i was going to school there, every day I would be up in there! Anywyas, the store is small, but still bigger than the old place. I still saw some great *rae* games with old style Multimedia pricing going on (i.e.-FFVII Non-GH for $80 and Snatcher for an even $100). They had a help wanted sign and I was thinking of applying just so I'd be the one guy in there who was actually friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm, completely missed them moving. I'll have to head over to check out the new place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I managed to find what is now Video Games NYC (apparently) and spent some time in there. They have a VERY nice selection of rare stuff. The aforementioned Snatcher, BBSB for the 5200, and tons of imports. The only downside is their prices resemble something out of my nighmares! If I could get half of their prices for the stuff I already have, I could easily retire early. They had a used copy of The Guy Game for xbox for $95!! The one thing they had that I was willing to pay over ebay for, I didn't even buy. They had a copy of Bachelor Party for the 2600. It looked very nice and had a good clean box, but when I asked about it he said it would be several hundred dollars. I pointed out that you can get them on ebay for less than $50 and he just shrugged. So I left and took my money elsewhere.

My advice to anybody going to NYC, unless you like being screwed hard, don't bother with these guys. Go to J&L instead. Friendly clerks and way better prices. Not as big of a selection, but having a huge selection isn't worth anything when your prices are just flat out stupid.

Also, the Nintendo World store is a must see! It's small, but has some cool stuff to play with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    Now I actually look forward to seeing the "new" Multimedia store. I used go to high schoool one block over and I went to Multimedia at least once a week. Although it was overpriced, I used to like to just look at everything and daydream Anyways, I wanna go see if they have any good Super Fami games.
    If I'm not mistaken, all of the super fami at J&L is buy 2 get 1 free. They had some on the bottom of the N64 shelf. Check them out!