Thread: Suggestions for wire routing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suggestions for wire routing?

Hey, Im pretty new to this whole thing and just beginning to set up my RoD. I was wondering if anyone had any tips about managing the ungodly amound of wires I have going everywhere. I would like to have about 6 systems hooked up at any one time, and Im not looking for anything very permanent as I will be swapping out systems and moving things around as my collection grows. Thanks!

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll see if I can add some pics later but, I just zip tie all my wires in the back so I don't get the ungodly ball of electrical shit. But if your gonna be swapping out systems that makes it a bit more difficult. I have all my systems wired up ready to play, about 20+. I have all of them ran through a power UPS so I don't have to worry about a fire hazard.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They make a couple of things that might help, there's some velcro ties that will tie all the wires together, and there's also some kind of tube that the wires go in. (I think it opens from the side for insertion and removal, so no you don't have to run all the plugs through the tube )
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, they are generally called raceways. But they are generally used for hiding wires that run along walls, not for wires hidden behind entertainment centers.

For hooking up multiple systems really the best way to go is to hook them up through a selector box. DO NOT get an auto sensing selector box, they are crap. Hooking up systems in a huge chain tends to degrade the signal quality (with RF atleast).

The velcro straps are a good idea. Twist ties and zip ties get aggrivating after a while. And a UPS is WELL worth the price, for the ultimate surge protection possible and for steady AC power to avoid power spikes/sags.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka