View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Try and clean the marker off and reattach the top label where it's peeling back.

16 64.00%
  • Don't touch it- you'll just make it worse!

9 36.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE! So I found a Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur's Peak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default UPDATE! So I found a Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur's Peak

...unfortunately it's not in the best shape.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found if you don't rub really hard you can get the marker off and not fade the color. But that was a n64 cart do I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd get a copy of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt and try to replicate what the Flinstones 2 cart looks like (with the marker and torn label), and then try fixing that.
    If it works out well, try to do the same thing that you did to the SMB/DH

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This item is valuable enough I would look into taking it to a comic book restorer. Not all restoration places are equal but they do deal with other collectables from time to time, things like old baseball cards torn in half, postage stamps, other paper based paraphernalia. These are professionals who can do amazing things that frankly, I envy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    This item is valuable enough I would look into taking it to a comic book restorer. Not all restoration places are equal but they do deal with other collectables from time to time, things like old baseball cards torn in half, postage stamps, other paper based paraphernalia. These are professionals who can do amazing things that frankly, I envy.
    I didn't think about that...I'll have to see if there's some kind of place that does that around here...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trust me - the cost of restoring it would exceed the cost of just buying a mint one. You could try Matt Nelson but again I guarantee you its not worth it.

Besides that, keep in mind that restored comic books are not worth close to what the unrestored version would be worth. No such market dynamic yet in video games but I would argue its not worth going down that road. There's nothing **so** wrong with the condition. Just leave it alone. If in 20 years its worth a grand or something you can think about restoration then. There's no hurry - you can always restore an item later but once its done you basically can't unrestore it and you're going to potentially turn off part of your market if you decide to sell.

Frankly this is a textbook example of what not to restore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my vote is for keep it like that , wait for a $50 money order from me and get rid of it. it's horrible
    http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&o...it&&lid=100018 wanna check my stuff out.......holla

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I would argue that the work involved in flattening the top label back down and re-adhering it isn't as earth shattering as replacing missing chunks of a golden age comic book or something else along those lines. It also doesn't hurt to investigate how much someone would charge vs. how much your trust yourself to do an adequate job.

The stain near the top edge I would leave alone, since the label is laminated it'd be impossible to address underneath the plastic.

The upside to the fact the cart label is laminated is that magic marker should wipe off easily enough with isopropyl alcohol, q-tip and patience.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would argue that the work involved in flattening the top label back down and re-adhering it isn't as earth shattering as replacing missing chunks of a golden age comic book or something else along those lines. It also doesn't hurt to investigate how much someone would charge vs. how much your trust yourself to do an adequate job.

The stain near the top edge I would leave alone, since the label is laminated it'd be impossible to address underneath the plastic.

The upside to the fact the cart label is laminated is that magic marker should wipe off easily enough with isopropyl alcohol, q-tip and patience.
    Even the simplest resto work + shipping it two ways is going to cost more than its worth. Of course its not a complicated resto job - that's the not the point. The point is it isn't worth it.

Take a step back for a second. You're advocating professionally restoring a $70 item that is maybe $140 in mint and no offense but it's making you look like you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Its going to be cheaper to just pay ebay prices to get a mint one. period. The item has to be worth something in the first place for resto to be a viable option.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldnt recommend touching the area of the label with the marker pen writing.. you'll probably take the colour/print off the label as well as the black marker.

However the top part of the label should be easily stuck down.. id recommend using a small amount of the kind of paste used to stick down the corners of wallpaper coming off the wall, I used some on SNES labels and it worked a treat!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all for trying to fix it. The marker shouldn't be too bad to remove, I've had some luck in that regard myself. As for re-applying the label, investigate some archival type glues. Bookbinder suppliers should have some, perhaps even vintage camera repair shops will.

Whatever you try, be sure to document the process and the result. As a hobby we are pretty delinquent in the area of restoration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

get a mr clean magic eraser and rub that marker right off. Won't hurt the label because NES carts have that protective film/plastic that is lacking on snes/n64 games. I just tested it on a game and rubbed as hard as I could, no damage at all to the label. I'd take it easier on a F2 cart, though.

Whatever you decide to do with the top label, make sure you clean out any dirt/dust/crap that may have accumulated to the sticky underpart of the label, or when you go to reapply it, it'll look shitacular. I found a copy of Pro Sport Hockey with the end label completely detached, and the glue underneath was already yellowed and covered in filth/dirt. I took a qtip dipped in Rubbing Alcohol and cleaned it the best I could, let it dry, and applied a REAL small amount of superglue. Then I pressed it down as straight and even as I could and let it sit. The end result:

Goo Gone will take care of the stickers, but you knew that already, didn't you .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Bronty, I believe you're the one overly attached to the matter. Nowhere in this thread have I actually pushed boatofcar to get it done, only suggested he weigh his options and research a bit. Whatever he initially paid for the cart plus the potential investment being worth in the end is his call, not yours, nor mine.

It would be nice of you to apologize for insinuating I'm a fool but if not, I'll let that influence how I regard you in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster

Whatever you decide to do with the top label, make sure you clean out any dirt/dust/crap that may have accumulated to the sticky underpart of the label, or when you go to reapply it, it'll look shitacular. I found a copy of Pro Sport Hockey with the end label completely detached, and the glue underneath was already yellowed and covered in filth/dirt. I took a qtip dipped in Rubbing Alcohol and cleaned it the best I could, let it dry, and applied a REAL small amount of superglue. Then I pressed it down as straight and even as I could and let it sit. The end result:
    That looks real nice. I think I'm going to do it tomorrow. I'll be sure and post pics of the results, good or bad

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

i've cleaned worse off cartsi have a spray glue to that works wonders on lables, what works best is if you spray it into a cup and then use a tooth pic and get a little at a time and dab it under the part of the lable thats up and the cleaner i use for the stickers takes it off really easily if you get some on the outer edge of the sticker i'll see if i can find the can and take a picture of it.

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    Even the simplest resto work + shipping it two ways is going to cost more than its worth. Of course its not a complicated resto job - that's the not the point. The point is it isn't worth it.

Take a step back for a second. You're advocating professionally restoring a $70 item that is maybe $140 in mint and no offense but it's making you look like you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Its going to be cheaper to just pay ebay prices to get a mint one. period. The item has to be worth something in the first place for resto to be a viable option.
    You're out of line here. Is it necessary to insult a person because you disagree with them?

I voted to leave it be, but I'm not a serious collector I just like to play games and if the game works, I would just leave it alone.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted "Don't touch it", but then I'm not particular about condition. I'd be happy to put that on a shelf with my other carts just as it is. If it bothers you though, then I say try to fix it.

The real question is, why did someone write DPG on it?! (Digital Press Guide? )

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use super glue to attach the label. Usualy works great. I would try to remove the marker, but test it on another cart as someone mentioned earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Alright, I cleaned it up a little bit.

Before:

After:

Thoughts? The top label still isn't perfect, but it had some wear before I tried gluing it back on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Aside from the glare on the bottom right picture, I'd say you did a good job. If the label was bent/creased when you went to reapply it, then yeah there was really nothing you could do (at least in my experience). Nonetheless it certainly looks better than the before pics. High five !