Thread: Multiple console hookups

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Multiple console hookups

I thought this was asked before but I couldn't find it. I was wondering about any possible danger to hooking up multiple consoles on the same cord. I am referring to the S-video cables sold in stores that have all three current console hookups on them. I have both a PS2 and a Gamecube plugged into one cable. I assume its fine if only one system at a time, but what if both are on at the same time? What will happen?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

not exactly the same thing, but something similar, I had a dreamcast/playstation/gamecube RF cable. I had the gamecube and dreamcast hooked up at the same time and I turned on the dreamcast and somehow it also turned on the gamecube (no one touched it). well after that the dreamcast would no longer output video so I opened it up and couldn't see anything wrong with it, but on a hunch I soldered the +5v on the video out to another +5v source and it worked again. seems like a rare occurance though since i had used the cable for years with no problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its a bad idea. I have my Gamecube and PS2 hooked up simultaneously. The PS2 seemed to work fine, but when I turned on the Gamecube I could barely hear the sound. I checked out the connections and everything seemed fine. Then I realized that I had not turned the PS2 all the way off. That is, it was still switched on in the back and the red standby LED was on. This is how I normally leave it except for extended periods. When I unplugged the PS2 connector, I heard the Gamecube nice and loud. When I plugged it back in the sound went away. When I switched the PS2 off the sound came back again. Apparently when the PS2 is on it draws most of the signal away. I dont want to find out what happens when both are actually outputting AV.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026